Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:42 PM
Passenger

Default money

To some of you veterans..My fiance and I are getting married on the conquest the 28th, just a few days away.I'm still uncertain how much "cash" to keep and what increments to get it in. I was thinking about getting a traveler's cheque to put on our s & s account.
Our only concrete plans while in ports are to do the snorkeling , some small item shopping and perhaps a jeep tour and will be playing a lot by ear.I'm sure we'll spend some on pictures, especially of the wedding.We plan to have a great time but I have'nt broken down the budget to the "T" yet.I Was thinking of putting $1000 on the S & S and $500 in cash.Does this seem adequate or overboard?

Sailing the Conquest
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: money

Yes - Traveller's checks for shipboard credit. For onshore, though, I always bring a wad of SMALL US denomination bills. Ones, fives, tens. The reason is that if I give a local vendor in Cozumel/Playa del Carmen a $100.00 bill for an $8.00 T-shirt, I'll get my change back in pesos. Same thing in Jamaica...Jamaican dollars. US dollars are far more valuable than the local currency, except in Grand Cayman, where the Cayman dollar is worth more than the US dollar. (Off-shore banking and all that) St. Thomas/John and San Juan are US territories, so any change you get will be in US dollars.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Captain

We were in Grand Cayman last Nov. & had a unsual experience.... The winds were high so the Conquest dropped anchor on the calmer side of the island... On our way downtown in the taxi my wife spotted a cloth/sewing store..... Well after much coaxing we had a long walk to the store.... She gathered a $10 bunch of cloth, I gave the clerk a $20 bill & received $10 back in Grand Cayman currency.... I explained to the clerk that I wnated green backs back in change but she said she didn't have it (I think that she did)... Anyway I asked if she could take my Master Charge Debit card & she said OK but not to excited.... The charge on my card was $4.97 for the $10 order..... Go Figure.... I will use my Debit card more my next cruise....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Yeoman

It's not about your bank debit card. It's about the fact that the Cayman dollar is worth MORE than the US dollar. The Cayman dollar is worth more than any currency in North or South America. (You should have accepted that $10.00 change in Cayman dollars!!)
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: money

We spent a lot more money then I hoped! We had our sign and sail card with a credit card to me this is the easiest as we wouldn't have brought enough cash if we started it with that. What some people do is leave a credit card and then pay their sign and sail account off with their remaining cash or traveler's checks. Also all shore purchases, drinks, meals, tips, gambling on the ship, room service, etc., etc. need cash. We brought $200.00 in small bills $5.00, $1.00 and then 10's and 20's and the rest in traveler's and still had a big S & S charge to AMEX. Our tips alone were $280.00 as we are 4 people and 1 excursion was over $200.00.

Good luck with your marriage!

Natalie