Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default How is seating determined at Dinner?

Hello,

Most of you know my family and I are going to be first time cruisers (Inspiration Aug. 1st) and I was wondering if they have a rhyme or reason to who they seat you with at dinner, or is it completely random. We are cruising with our 16 year old (boy) and 19 year old (girl) and I was curious if they put families together at the same table that may have similar-aged kids.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Beginner

Default Re: How is seating determined at Dinner?

I know on our ship (Triumph) there were tables for two, four, and larger. Our group was 18, and they split us up in two tables, side by side. You may be at a table with just the four of you.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our last cruise on the Triumph, we were at a table for 4 so we just sat together as a family each night at dinner.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old March 25th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Captain

I believe your Sail & Sign card has the seating on it, I may be wrong though.... I know it has you dinning Time on it & the restruant.....
We sat with a table of 8 on the Conquest & was always the same seating every evening...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: How is seating determined at Dinner?

First thing, all those who requested early seating are put in late, while the late seating people are mad because they got early!! The earlier you book, the more this happens!!!

I don't think they are organized enough or take the time to look at the profiles of the diners to see who sits with who. If you meet someone before the cruise or on the first day, you may be able to change table assignments to be with a like group. Every cruise we have taken has put us in the opposite of our requested time , and each time we have been able to change to the preferred and had ok table mates.
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

We've never had a problem with getting our requested seating. On our first cruise, we had our young sons with us (about 8 and 10) and we were seated with another family with sons of similar ages. We enjoyed the company.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM
First Mate

On our last cruise we found out that one of the reasons the cruiseline asks for your birthdate is so they can seat you with people "your own age". Apparently, they assume that you will have more in common with people of your general age group.

My husband I don't particularly like this method. We both feel it would be much more appropriate to have short questionnaires on interests.

Do not hesitate to ask for different seating if you are not thrilled with your tablemates. Last cruise (where we found out about this method of seating arrangement) we were first seated with very nice, but staid and stodgy, people our age. We asked to have our seating changed and wound up at a table with another group of people that were still around our age, but active and "young at heart"....we loved mealtimes from then on!
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Well I'll give you a run down of mine and see what you think.

Inspiration- Hubby and I seated with 3 married couples and 2 ladies that said the were best friends. One couple from Mississippi, one from phillipians, one from Louisiana like us and the two ladies were japanesse and were Dr.'s from California.

Holiday- Me, hubby and our kids was 13 and 15. Seated with couple with 2 kids within a year or two of the ages of my kids and a friend of theirs (a single mom) with her two children that was middle schoolers. The couple was from Louisiana and the other lady had moved to Tennesse but was original from La

Holiday again- Me and my sister seated at a table for 4 only, with a married couple from Baton Rouge (who only ate the first night). (we also live near Baton Rouge).

This time it will be me, hubby and a male friend of ours. So I can't wait to see what we get. I hope a table with an extra lady for our male friend.

Old March 25th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hmmm so it does sound like they may seat us with a family like ours or maybe just at a table for 4.

Interesting about not getting the dining time requested. We requested late dining, so we will see what happens.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Admiral

What did you request? I know they make an attempt to seat you are the table size you request.

My TA had some interesting advise. I told her we wanted to request a table for 3 - just me, my son and my introverted dh. She recommended a table for 6. When I asked why she said that odds are we'll be put at a table with one other person (to make 4). It would be easier to sit at a larger table because IF you don't like one tablemate, you can at least talk to ANOTHER tablemate. When you are at a table with only 1 person you just met and you don't like them, you're stuck! Never thought about it that way......

We were seated with a family of 4 (we were a Mom and 13 year old son) with 2 small children. I suspect Carnival looked at the info and saw kids and didn't think a lot about ages.

I'm happy as long as my tablemates can actually make conversation and keep their fingers (toddler type) out of my pie!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hmmm we weren't asked what kind of table we would like to sit at...only asked about which time to dine.
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Unless you are with a group, and your agent has supplied the seating requests, they will seat you just about anywhere. They ask you which seating you would prefer, and if they can, they always try to seat you then. (early or late) The birthdates are for a number of reasons, but one is so they know if you are celebrating and they arrange for a little cake and song for you .........
If you are unhappy just see the head waiter........and request a change
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM
First Mate

I might add that we've had experience similar to jg, in that we seem to always get the opposite seating time as requested. But its always been simple enough to change.

My husband is diabetic, and simply letting them know that his meal schedule has to be maintained has been enough to get instant attention.
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Yeoman

Every time I book a client on a Carnival cruise, Carnival asks for the client's preference of dining time and table size..(large or small) ..so I get this informatiion directly from the client and give it to Carnival. You have to remember that some of Carnival's ships have to do this twice a week, 52 weeks a year. I think Carnival does their best to try to "match" diners according to age/kids/couples, etc., but it will never be perfect unless you bookn a group cruise. In that situation, Carnival asks us to fax a list in of who wants to sit at what table. If you book individually, you get what you're assigned. If you're just not happy with your tablemates, see the Maitre'D to request a change of tables. I always think it's great to sit at a large table and just meet new people and get to know each other.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

They dont always do it randomly.. most of the time they pair people up with similar ages and similar ages of their children.. but if you have a large enough group (or they have engouh tables for you to sit at a smaller one) they will seat you at your own table

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Admiral

When you embark, the Maitre'D will be in one of the longues/Dining Rooms that afternoon. To help people who have problems with their early/late seatings. Even if I don't have a problem with that, I go to either them or the Dining Room. To see/where my table is in the room....and whether I like where Carnival has placed me.

Post Edited (03-25-04 21:08)
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Admiral

dart board

Old March 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM
spike

From several Carnival cruises, I've noticed that Carnival places bookings with children in corners and out of the way areas of the dining room. In fact, on the Legend, They placed most of the families with children in a separate connecting dining room from the main room. I insisted we walk thru the main dining room to our table to see how the other half lived ing the fancy main room. (there was a back door to to small room).
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM
First Mate

LMAO Rick you are so crazy!!!

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:06 PM
jimmy231223

well i just returned imagination 3/10 and they put all the single travellers on 1 table together - cool it was nice to talk to some like minded people
Old March 27th, 2004, 01:49 PM
First Mate

At first we requested a large table to meet knew people but then called our TA and changed it to a table for 4. We got a great booth for just us. We liked that. Breakfast and lunch are open sitting so we set with many new families and couples twice a day! You can request how large or small a table you want and if you prefer late or early. We even specified the earlier late seating and got our request!

Old March 29th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Kgymn

On the Triumph last week my roomates and I (3 of us, 21 and 22) were seated at a table for 10 with all people under 30. We really enjoyed our table, it was one of the higlights of our days getting to eat with some of the people every night!
And we got the seating we requested- late seating.
~Katy