Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to leahmichele
Default Guaranteed Cabin Disappointments

Has anyone ever book at GTY and been completely disappointed?

Post Edited (03-25-04 13:49)

Sensation
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Guaranteed Cabin Disappointments

Ok, here's one I just got info on so I am going to post my experiance.
I booked a rivera first cruise ever. didn't like it at the bottom, so last two cruise after I booked Empress. Paid for the rooms. THIS TIME. Since traveling with a friend and not wanting to spend a whole lot for rooms I did the GTY thing since so many on here do. Well, just a while ago I seen post on here saying prices were dropping call your TA. I booked directly with Carnival, and I paid the whole amount upfront. So I took the chance and called and guess what. I went from a 4a gty and given an upgrade to empress and was assigned a room over the phone. All because the price dropped about 50 bucks per person for the first 2 passengers. So no I am not disappointed I went that way. However, if I wouldn't have called I may have still be placed on the rivera deck and not gotten an upgrade at all. But I'll never know.

Old March 25th, 2004, 03:52 PM
ElationismyShip

My best advise to not be disappointed is to pay for the cabin you really want. I've been on 7 cruises and do an unassigned cabin, pay for the bottom floor - and always get the bottom floor - that's what I pay for . . . . that's what I get. I'm not disappointed with getting what I paid for and if I get an upgrade on the next cruise (8 days) then it's extra -icing on the cake!
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
sis&I

Default Re: Re: Guaranteed Cabin Disappointments

Same thing happened to my Sister and I.
We booked directly with Carnival paid in full for the Empress deck.
Checked later and prices had dropped.
Instead of an upgrade we were credited $50 each on our credit card.
It pays to call.

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Yeoman

We booked a Gty 6a- called when the price dropped and got a Gty 8a, we were further upgraded to 8b at boarding. Now we are spoiled for life!!! We booked the Gty 8a just because we couldn't face the possibility of not having a balcony!

Lesley
Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/18/04
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why would anyone want to be guaranteed a Cabin Disappoinment?

hehe...sorry couldn't resist, it is just I read the post's title wrong and found it funny. *ahem* yeah...*trails off* . Sorry for the momentary interuption. As you were.
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Catrin

We booked our Honeymoon in 1992 - with a 4a guarantee.....

It was our first cruise, and we didn't know any better! We were assigned m11 - on the Ecstacy.... a port hole room in the front of the ship.

For this reason, I can no longer do any guarantees... I need to be in the middle of the ship.. and have been.. with our Balcony since then.
Cathy
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked a guarantee cheap cabin years ago on the old Carnivale. We were upgraded to a very large cabin in the front of the ship. Very nice for a family of four. Our table mates, also a family of four, were down in the dungeon. In 2001 on the Celebration we booked outside Empress deck, paying full price but it was worth it.
This year, for our June cruise on the Celebration, we went Riviera outside Guarantee. Both TA and Carnival says chances are good for an upgrade. I wish they would take into account our previous cruises and especially the fact that last time we paid big bucks for Empress instead of guarantee.
Old March 27th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Passenger

I recently posted to a similar thread, but I'll repeat it here:

I once was booked for a single guarantee, and got the worst cabin on the ship. Seriously.

There were six cabins in the lowest cabin category, and I had the worst of the six.

You might ask, how can I make the claim it was the worst?

Well, of the six cabins, 2 were next to an elevator, 3 were next to an elevator AND a stairwell, and 1 was next to an elevator, AND a stairwell, AND the children's playroom. Take a guess which one I got!

Fortunately, the cruise was at a time when there were few kids onboard, and the stairwell and elevator were not a factor.

It was not a Carnival ship.

Tim

Post Edited (03-27-04 13:54)
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

We have been very happy every time!!! One time we booked and outside on the Spirit and got a balcony!!! It was an obstructed view but very nice.
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148

Soooo, when do prices normally start to drop??? we set sail may 15th...when should i see them drop?? and when they do..do i call them and do what? ask for an upgrade ??

David

9/07/2009 - Carnival Destiny
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:51 AM
GlamAtomic

Hey All,
Three of my friends and I have booked two Oceanview cabins on the Empress Deck (we have been given our cabin assignment etc, so we know what numbers we will be in)... anyway, we booked in November last year for an October 11 sailing this year... well about a month ago the prices must have dropped dramatically because we EACH got a cheque for $200 straight from Carnival (who we booked through), which came as an absolute surprise! Although I'm definately not complaining!

However, I think it might have been a 'sh#t up and quit whinging' payment, because we had a LOT of issues with the whole booking process! We chose to pay in full immediately, to save paying off the cruise at a later date... and then the problems started. Initially they lost our booking somehow, when I called up to confirm that they had received our payment (our names didn't appear on the system for some reason even though we had a booking number!)... And then we were told that people under 25 were not allowed to cruise unchaperoned... My friends and I are ALL over 21- I directed them to the page on the Carnival website which clearly states that it is only people under 21 that are not allowed to cruise unchaperoned... etc etc etc, the problems were seriously endless!

Now, I am a Customer Service Representative myself for an *extremely* large organisation, so I wasn't about to start abusing the phone reps at carnival- because I know that never helps the situation. But I did have to call back almost every day for 2 weeks until they found our reservation, confirmed that they had received our payment, AND confirmed that we were all able to sail.

We paid $537 each including port charges, government taxes, etc... and were each given $200 back so in the end we have only ended up paying $337 for our Guarunteed Oceanviews on the Empress deck! It has restored my faith in Carnival Cruise Lines that's for sure! Because I'm pretty sure that prices haven't gone down *that* much have they!?!?!

It is definately incentive to book with them again, but we'll see how this cruise this year goes first- I'm so excited! Haha my friends say they won't relax until we are actually on the ship however... the ordeal over our booking made us all really angsty!!!

But yeah, I think $200 back was very nice of them so it's all good =)
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Admiral

David....If the prices are to drop, it'd probably be about now [since you're inside the 60-day "final payment" timeframe). Should the price drop on the CCL website itself, contact whoever booked the trip for you. Inform them of the decrease [from below what you paid]. They'll "take it from there".

Post Edited (03-30-04 01:15)
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148
Default Re: Re: Re: Guaranteed Cabin Disappointments

We booked it ourselves thru walmart vacations.

David

9/07/2009 - Carnival Destiny
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
ShortTracker

My wife and I are booked 4A guarantee on the Conquest for 4/25 - 5/2 and paid about $749 each (without any of the extra charges.) We booked thru CheapTickets.com and I noticed the prices dropped to about $599 for the same. I called Carnival but they told me I would need to contact my TA which is totally understandable. CheapTickets told me Carnival is very 'stingy' with their upgrades and that the price I paid is what I agreed to and pretty much left it at that. I am not mad because I did agree to that price for a 4A guarantee so we will see when we check in. It would be nice to have some extra $$$ to spend but we wouldn't be going if we didn't have the $$$ to begin with. We really don't care as long as we have a place to lay our heads. This will be our first time with CCL so next time, according to other's stories, I will book thru CCL website or another TA. We sailed RCCI last year and booked straight thru their site and it seemed we received better service, maybe because we booked directly thru them. Oh well, we're going to have fun no matter what. We can 4A GUARANTEE you that!

Later
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
victoryk

had a great experience on the Glory. Booked gauranteed balcony and got upgraded to the Panarama deck. We would have paid about $250 extra per person for that room.

It helps that we have traveled with Carnival for a long time and always use the same booking agent.

Also, I write letters of appreciation for excellence in service. I don't know if this garners any attention, but it sure can't hurt, besides the folks from carnival, on land and sea, work darn hard and deserve the recognition.
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:17 PM
donnajo

I have had both good and bad experiences with guarantees. First time was bad. Booked the bottom of the barrel cabin and also got the WORST cabin on the ship.
The maintenace crew's cabins were across the hall and we were in the nose of the ship.
The best time was when we booked a Celebrity 10 day Hawaii on a real steal of a deal - inside cabin - 1599 w/air and three nights hotel in Honolulu prior to the cruise. When we got our docs, we realized that we had been upgraded to a balcony cabin!! Our first!! Definitely not our last!

Donna
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:41 PM
First Mate

GlamAtomic, Where are you going? Where are you leaving? Just curious, I like to know this stuff.

Post Edited (03-30-04 14:43)
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Guaranteed Cabin Disappointments

Sensation 9/13/04 Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I can't wait

Sensation
Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
CRUZN BUCKEYE

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Guaranteed Cabin Disappointments

Shorttrack,

We cruised on the Pride. After final payment the price had dropped $100pp. I called the ta and they called Carnival. They said that they would give us a shipboard credit of $200 but said that Carnival said this would be the only credit on this sailing. The next day the price dropped another $200! I called Carnival. Although they will not deal with you if you are booked through a ta, they got my ta on the phone for a three way call. We were given a choice...$400 onboard credit or wraparound balcony suite! We took the suite. If your ta says Carnival is stingy with upgrades, call Carnival, ask to talk to a customer service supervisor. I am sure they will get you on a three way call and take care of you!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Admiral

I guess the common theme has emerged:

Book the category that you will be happy with in case you DON'T get an upgrade.

I was on a tight budget, but *knew* I wouldn't be happy with a 1A, so we booked a 4A and were upgraded to a 4D. It was lovely being on the Empress Deck, but Riviera would have worked, too.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Admiral

YES! But remember you get the minimum you GTY so you are taking a chance.

We booked a GTY 6A (outside riviera deck) and have been on 2 previous Carnival cruises (those we booked specific cabins) and we thought we'd take a chance. Well, we ended up one deck higher (main) and at the AFT of the ship. It was loud due to the engines and hard to sleep plus it seemed to rock more back there. I was completely disappointed and next cruise we're booking a specific cabin. I don't want to take another chance and be disappointed. I guess I wouldn't have been as upset if I would have had a cabin away from all that noice. But as I said you get what you reserve and sometimes nothing better.

Post Edited (04-03-04 20:22)
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Passenger

OK.... Based on the excellent advice above, my travelling companion and I decide to change our reservation from 1A GTY to 4A GTY because 4A is the min for us. We origanally booked the 1A because of the cost, but decided that comfort is worth the xtra $$$. I called the TA to change our reservation and was really suprised when I found out that the cost of the upgrade was only $10 per person. I guess the moral of the story was that asking never hurts. This is one less thing i have to worry about now.

Sensation
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Hey along this line--is there such thing as a bad balcony cabin on Carnival Conquest?? Were thinking about just booking a balcony gty--thinking that there really is no bad balcony and leaving our chances for an upgrade open. Any opinions to this??

Old April 5th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Leahmichele,

You probably made the right decision. I didn't mind an inside cabin, but after I *saw* one of the 1A's while we were cruising....YIKES......it was like a bad dorm room. Even if you get a 4A and don't get upgraded, I suspect you'll be happy.

Of course, I currently have a 6A for our next sailing and hope to upgrade (if the prices drop) to an 8A. I'm afraid once I have a balcony I'll never be happy again without one!

Let us know if you get an upgrade.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04