Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754
Default Re: Inspiration, teens, drinking

I agree with BJKeen.. sometimes it is just middle school aged kids that want to expieriment with drinking if they get the chance.. although it can also be older teens..

They dont sell alcohol to teens under 21.. although i was on an italian line Costa, and in the teen disco anyone that looked around 17/18 could buy drinks- but they register on the cards so no matter what a underaged teen can never really get away with buying drinks except when an older person is buying the drinks for them. In the teen discos, there wont be any older people (over around 18 depending on what ship) So im pretty sure you have nothing to worry about with your teens.. Just advise your teen girls to not except drinks from older men! If you warn them about what can happen, they will know not to do things like go into their rooms and take drinks from them..

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Donna&Pete

Default Re: Re: Inspiration, teens, drinking

I too am sailing in a week with my 14 1/2 year old daughter and 11 1/2 year old son. I am fortunate to have seen your posts before leaving on our cruise. This will be our children's 1st cruise. I made my daughter read the posts on this thread and since we have had many recent discussions about date rape drugs and boys, this really hit home. We will definitely be "checking in" on a random basis. I want the kids to have great memories of their cruise vacation - not regrets. Thanks for sharing!
Old March 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Tenley

well this post is quite disturbing in the teen forum...

http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...=15998&t=15998

i suggest all you parents read it and look at the real view of drinking from these teens...its quite disturbing if you ask me...I'm 21 and it really bothers me that teens think this way nowadays...i was never like that when i was that age.....
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I wasn't going to post here until I saw that some people believe that their underage children are not being served alchohol by the cruise staff. Last year when on an RCI cruise our 15 year old daughter went to the bar and asked for two virgin pina coladas, one for herself and one for our twelve year old. She paid by swiping SeaPass. Both drinks were served to her with alcohol in them. Luckily both girls were sitting with us and noticed right away they tasted different from the ones they had been drinking and said something to us. Anytime you kids are drinking "virgin drinks" I would check them.

Darcy
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Hello, I just went and read that post that was on the teen board. I am 23 and remember not to long ago when it wa illegal for me. I am in my last year of college and have never been into parties. I can see where these teens get the peer presure from, it looks like parents really need to be on top of there children. No matter 4.0 gpa or what. I guess because I never wanted to get drunk when underage I never did, but it seems pretty easy by what I have been reading on that teen post. I know my last cruise it seemed like they never even bothered id 'ing people. I look young, even though I am 23, and was never asked. I know I saw many of under 21's drinking and running about the ship. I was talking to a mom of a friend I met on the ship and she was saying how many under age kids she saw being carried onto the boat from cozumel. I hope that I am like the parents on here that are being harsh. I never want to see any thing happen to my children def. from peer pressure. If they do something and I find out.... 6months isnt harsh to me either. Life is scary enough as is it with everything going on the last thing you want to think is harm to kids, but of course that is reality to. So I am proud of all the parents who think watching there kids 24/7 is good!!!

Michele

Fascination
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

Regarding the post in the teen forum.. You have to realize that like half the people on there say "is there a lot of teen drinking on board? I dont want to get caught up in that kind of stuff because Im not really into it..." Not every teens goal is to go on a cruise and get drunk.. Im sure that you know your kids more than I do but alot of parents shouldnt be concerned.. alot of kids arent like "oh i have the chance to drink- i think ill get drunk and ill get away with it" it really isnt like that for some kids.. and this is coming from a teen. now i might not be included in the teens that like to go on vacation and get drunk every night, but from reading that teen post i know that there are a lot of teens that dont enjoy drinking and since they are underage, they think it is wrong. so dont judge all teens, including your own, on others that think it is exceptable. do have a talk with them before your cruise if you are concerned. but you are on vacation and do give them freedom. let them know of their consequences if they drink or do anything theure not supposed to before you leave. but yeah thats just my 2 cents..

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Reading those posts on the teen board should be a real eye opener. Those defending their drinking sound like I must have sounded when I was that age. I just hope that the posts that were anti teen drinking don't encourage parents to feel that is the opinion their teens will have and not keep track of them.

Old March 29th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Admiral

There are lots of activities for the kids and they have a great time if they want to. As for the talk about drinking, it is mostly talk. Think back to high school where all the girls but two were virgins and all the boys had been with dozens of differant girls. <VBG> Lies then and lies now. Carnival codes ALL sail and Sign cards and you cannot buy booze with them period. If security sees any underage drinking it is reported and it is taken away from them. You MUST be 21 to drink on a Carnival ship.
Jim

Old March 31st, 2004, 05:56 PM
jmcline

I had no idea when I posted this issue that it would be so intense. I must say, my husband and I will have even more check in times and spot checks. I have no problem with going to any of the ports. The girls will be with us at all time. But I must say, the days at sea-and the evenings hold more worry for me now. I can hear it all now from them, " they know right from wrong, and they would never do anything that stupid. ect.ect.ect.. And of course the ultimate, don't you trust me? " I only wish they could see, understand and accept the fact that we are not the enemies, and we are not trying to ruin their day or their life. Yes, even evil people take vacations, and get good tans Life is to long to have a life changing occurance happen on a one week cruise.
jmcline.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:11 PM
Rigs32

I'm not a parent, but i do volunteer as a rape crisis counselor. The most frustrating part of that job are the teen girls who think they are grown up but really have no idea of reality. They frequently believe the lies and half-truths that adult men tell them in an effort to get into their pants.

The most distrubing part of the "harsh parenting" story was that the girl refused to "get anyone in trouble." Refusing to hold someone accountable for taking advantage of her is stupid, really stupid. It allows those adult men to continue taking advantage of young women.

I would be appalled if, after such behavior, a teen was NOT punished harshly. She obviously did not learn her lesson and was brazen about it. How else will she learn that lesson? Had she been upset, cooperated in pressing charges, and expressed regret for her actions, maybe I'd think it was harsh.

I work with college students and handle judicial cases. You would not believe the whopper lies I hear out of their mouths. I catch the lies and confront them, most of the time the students tell me that their act would have kept them out of trouble with their parents. I agree that too many young people are learning to manipulate instead of learning from their mistakes.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Stacowgirl,

Kudos to you for being your daughter's parent, and not worried about being her "friend", and doing the right thing by her. It's scary that she didn't want this person to get into trouble. Makes me worry when girls say that, it like most female victims of domestic violence don't want to call the police on their abusers because they "love" them and feel that they can make things better...I know, I'm a 911 operator and I hear these stories all of the time....

What our young girls need is a sense of SELF-ESTEEM and RESPECT!

I'm so sorry for your loss, John, sometimes you never know until it's over what was really going on and if you should have done things differently.....

Parenting is a hard job, and sometimes you succeed....other times, it can be more difficult, no matter how GOOD a parent you are.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Thank you, Jean.

Old April 1st, 2004, 01:09 PM
victoryk

stacowgirl...how kind of you to risk criticism to bring to light a problem that other parents should know about. I am not a parent, but in my later teens, a rather precocious young lady. Drink and driving were a way of life, I cannot even imagine how wild I might have gone during a cruise.

Rebellion is part of growing up, but it must be the most agonizing period for the parents. Standing firm and showing children that there are consequences to thier actions is a powerful tool that will serve them well through their life. I believe that children and teens do not have enough accountability these days. I believe the actions of you and your husband must have sent a clear message of what are the acceptable boundries in your household and what the consequences are of stepping outside of those boundries.

Hope next cruise is more peaceful!!!

BTW---your daughters ears must be burnin'!!!
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Thanks Victory, actual I have told my daughter that I have posted the story and she has read some of it and actually got mad at how some of the post reacted to her punishment or didn't believe that teens could get alcohol. She is very mature and very mature looking but made a mistake and she knows it and after reading some of the reply post and also reading the teen tread she says see's why we did what we did. I just hope that it helps other parents open their eyes and not think "my kid won't do it". Just talk to them before the trip or let them read the post is all I ask so that parents don't have to go through what we did.

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM
Passenger

Thank you to all who shared their experiences, they are eye opening, and really should be published publicly.
My heart goes out to all of you, parents and teens who have shared. We all just do the best we can. Thank you for raising our awareness, as we can never let our guard down as parents, not even on vacation.
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM
Cajuncrab

Thank you all so much for posting. I have been reading a lot about teens because my boyfriend and I are taking his daughter on a cruise very soon as a graduation present. She will be under 18 at the time and she is very outgoing - great personality and independent. Her father doesn't like getting in the way and alienating her so although he tends to go on and lecture, he really doesn't discipline. Don't get me wrong she is a wonderful girl, good grades, atheletic and involved in school and church. I just worry about him setting curfews and sticking to it because he figures she won't listen anyway.

She is not my child, so I would never dare try to set a rule with her. After all this is HER trip. But beleive me, I love her dearly and do care about her a lot. I am worried about COULD happen on this cruise. In the past I have kept a watchful eye and BELEIVE me, if it is 4 a.m. and I am dead tired and worn out and all I want to do is sleep.....I will be watching, whether she knows it or not. I will be ready to kick the fool's butt who tries to mess with her.

And Stacowgirl - you were not harsh, more parents need to care as much as you (NOT SAYING THAT YOU OUT THERE READING THIS DO NOT CARE) and discipline thier children. I don't have any of my own, I am practically one myself, but I have a few relatives who I wish had mothers like you. I thank God everyday for giving me the mother that I have and I know someday (if not already), your daughter will be VERY grateful too.

Happy cruising every one, and thanks again.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:44 PM
First Mate

Thank you Cajun for your kind comments. It's hard for me. I am only 32 years old with 2 teens. My daughter knows of how she came into this world. She knows that I have been through alot in life and that I understand children have to make mistakes to learn from them. But if they are the same mistakes I made then I am going to PROTECT THEM before it happens. I at least will try with all I have in me. I didn't tell my kids before we left to NOT DRINK OR NOT DO DRUGS. I've told them a million times before about the dangers of that. It never crossed my mind to tell them this because I thought we were safe. My talks to them was about washing their hands often to keep from getting the nordic virus and not to climb rails etc. Never in my wildest dreams did I think my child would end up passed out in someone's room the last night of the cruise. Nor did I think the fool walking downstairs at 5 am with coffee was the b*stard that had her. Here I was in tears asking this young man if he seen my daughter by the description I gave him and he had her all along. We went to sleep every night before midnight (my husband and I) we both were just exhausted from jobs. Every morning we woke up the kids was in bed. If I had any idea that would happen that last night I would have forced myself to stay up. Yes, I have to take the comments good or bad because I choose to tell our story. But hopefully it will help others. God Bless all and travel safely.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:09 AM
First Mate

I want to say one other thing. I am a very small woman. I still get ID when I buy lottery tickets or ciggs for my husband. Last year I got ID'd at walmart when I went to buy the Godfather trilogy and the woman refused to believe my son when he said "she's my mom". You have to be 18 to buy the movie and here I was 31. Still had to show Id. My daughter is more womanly than I am. Now, I walked around the ship with a beer in my hand some nights and not only did I barely see any guards, no one questioned my age. When friends we met would take turns buying drinks, I gave my order and my Id or sail and sign was not ask for. My daughter can past for being over 18. So for the poster who said ( If security sees any underage drinking it is reported and it is taken away from them) just know that really they are not looking as you think they are and they are not just going to go up to people that look old enough and ask for id. She was not kicked out of the disco on any night after they told anyone under 16 to leave. She said the guards never once told her to leave but went up to others. Why? Because she didn't look under sixteen. She just made 16 this march. On the trip she still had 13 days before she would be 15. So if your teen looks older than they are don't expect anyone to pop up and bust them for drinking.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
First Mate

My last cruise on the Triumph one year ago this very day, I was still 20. But was about to turn 21 the next month (May) I do not look 21, I could maybe pass for 18 but surely not 21. And I was able to walk around with a drink in my hand, not once was questioned by anyone. Don't get me wrong folks, I am not a drinker. And don't encourage underage drinking. Yes I have had some drinks while underage, but to get drunk, no,, its not me. A drink here and there is fine as long as you can raise your child to know that making it an every day thing is wrong and not allowed. And let them know the drinks aren't worth the harsh consequences. I read way up on the thread a parent not allowing their daughter to go on the next cruise they were going on. I believe that is one harsh consequence and if I was the daughter of that person... I'd be crushed, and very angry. BUT, if that was me I think it would really teach me a good lesson. And I will definitely have to keep that idea in my head for someday when I have children of my own. I think that is probably one of the best ways to get your child to understand that drinking is not going to get you anywhere in life. I think keeping your underaged child from going on your next cruise and all your future cruises until he/she can grow to be a mature and responsible adult enough when it comes to drinking is a great idea. Also, the idea of 2-way radios, and checking in is a great idea. My first 3 cruises my sister and I checked in every 2-3 hours with my father in the cabin unless we ran into him as we were wandering around. And we also met for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cerfew of 1am.

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:30 PM
Passenger

We just got back from our cruise. We kept a much more
cautious watch on our 12 & 15 year olds during
the cruise because of what we read in this thread.
John, we are so sorry about your loss. You are to
be commended for sharing and helping others.
Stacowgirl, once again i apologize for saying you
were 'harsh' without knowing all the facts. Thank
you for opening our eyes to the dangers.
To all the teens and twenty-somethings that chimed
in; thank you too for your perspective.
RSP
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Madcow

I am now 22 and I never drank on any of my past cruises except for at the captain's party (where I was under 21 and was given free drinks) and I had one drink in Mexico. At home I never drink. I just never felt the need to. Yes it is true that a good percentage of teens & young adults do drink, but there is still that tiny percent that either won't drink, or will have 1 drink to experiment. People go on cruises to have fun, and unless the idea of drinking was already in their heads, they won't just do it because they are on a cruise.

Chris
luv2cruise2003@comcast.net

Carnival Miracle 5/30/04 ! ! ! !
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM
victory cruiser

Default Re: Re: Inspiration, teens, drinking

I just got back from the carnival victory and I will tell you that indeed there are many under age drinkers. My son is 17 and he was offered drinks by the older kids he met. We did disabled his sign and sail so that he couldn't buy anything but that didn't stop the older kids offering to buy it for him. Oh yes and on the land trips in cozumel and Jamaica it is not a problem for under agers to buy as much as they want. Like many people mentioned on this board, you really have to keep an eye on your kids. And shame on the parents on the victory who bought many alcohol drinks for there underage kids. One mother was so proud of her 16 year old son for getting very drunk during his time at Margaritaville. On the other hand there were many teens that were not drinking and partying. Just know what they are doing that's all.

Victoria