Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM
kernfam01

Default Okay, tell me why I need passports...

The ports we are traveling to, Belize, costa maya, cozumel and grand cayman, do not require them. I will be traveling w/ my husband and 2 sons, 1 and 4 at the time, also my retired parents. This trip is already a huge stretch on our budget, but I feel it is important for us to travel. I don't know when or if we will be able to do this again any time soon, so I don't know if we will even need them again. It is going to cost us $310 to get passports for my family. If I can get by on birth certificates and DLs, I don't see why I shouldn't. I know $310 doesn't sound like a lot to some, but to us, a young family with lots of expenses, it is not easy to just come up with it. I know it is the safest option, but I'm sure not everybody gets them, right? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
SCHEEK

Default Re: Okay, tell me why I need passports...

We were told that in Belize we would need passports..so we paid the big money (and for me it's a lot of money as well!!!) You do not need them at the ports you can get on and off with your ship card. Just take your bc and ID and enjoy your cruise!

Elation 12-7-2003
Conquest 07-18-2004
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Travelling with a passport is travelling with what is by far the best form of ID. No hassles, explanations about origonals, raised seals, maiden names , no picture id's and additional alternate forms of ID.
You have already made your own case. If you do not need them for air travel or entry into any of your ports of call and you are not travelling again in the forseeable future,
then no, don't spend the $310. If you travel with any kind of frequency, then there is no other way to go.
Have a great trip.
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Admiral

You do not need passports at those ports, Kern, so just save the major bucks and use it for something better, shore excursions, pictures or whatever...

Some people SWEAR that you need them, but you do not....hubby & I have been crusiing for many years without them with NO trouble at all....

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

I am a TA, and you don't need pass ports, however it would be a great investment, as I am hearing you might need them in the near future to go just about anywhere.

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Admiral

You won't need a passport to go to those 4 ports...we just cruised on the Inspiration and went to all 4 ports and we not required to have any ID except our Sail/Sign card and a drivers license......But when you board they will need the birth certificate and DL...

I agree...save that 310 and use it for souvenirs, shore tours, or whatever and have FUN!!!

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:54 PM
can't wait

Passports may not be needed right now
But in the near future from what I understand you will need them to leave the USA Peroid
wheater it be on a curise, airline travel or road trip to Mexio or Cananda.

Just another price we have to pay for safety after 9/11
I think and hope everyone agrees it is a good idea to be more carefull after 9/11
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Okay, tell me why I need passports...

I don't think anyone is disputing we need to be more careful after 9/11 however passports are NOT required in those 4 ports so they aren't necessary to purchase them. However we purchased our passports in Dec for our cruise last week and we found they only looked at it ONCE when we embarked and that was IT.

They didn't even look at them when we went thru customs or stepped off the ship during disembarkation...I thought that was REALLY odd! If they are so necessary for security then why aren't they checking EVERYONES Id's when you leave the ship???!!

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Yeoman

Here's a little history: Back in the 80's all you needed was a Voter Registration Card and a DL. to cruise. That changed in the 90's to a certified BC and DL. In August of 2002, Costa Rica required a passport for anyone flying into San Jose - the capitol. Costa Rica now requires a passport for anyone flying into ANY airport in that country. (This does not yet affect one-day cruise stops). Barbados now requires a passport for flying or arriving by boat/ship in and staying there for longer than one day. Aruba now requires a passport for a stay of 7 nights or longer. Things are changing, and pretty quickly. For those of you who proudly proclaim that you've cruised, lo, these many years without a passport...fine. Just don't make a fuss when the BC and DL requirements give way to passports. Yes - they're $85.00 for an adult, but they last ten years. I've had one since I was 18 (been renewed a whole lotta times, too!). Requirements are in the process of changing, due to 9/11 and the new US fingerprinting system for foreigners. Just my opinion. I wouldn't travel anywhere outside the US without my passport!

Amended to say that if you fly into Barbados, you will need a passport.

Post Edited (03-26-04 18:33)