Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
KLGWisconsin

Default First Time Family Cruise

My family is taking a cruise. We are going on the Inspiration and leaving from Tampa on 4/10. I have two boys, one 15 and the other 16 1/2. I would like to hear from another family who has been on a cruise to know what are the MUSTs to see and do. My oldest son is not too excited about going. I want this to be an unforgetable family trip. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Pela

Default Re: First Time Family Cruise

Our family is going on our first cruise, also, to the Mexican Riviera on April 11. Our oldest (a girl) is also not too excited to go, because it means a week away from her boyfriend. Our 14- and 10-year old boys are just looking forward to the pool and 24-hour pizza. But I know that they'll end up all enjoying the trip and coming away with more than they're expecting, as well as many good memories. I don't have any suggestions on what to do, but I understand your dilemma! These times with family are the things we'll all remember as the years go by. I hope you all have a great cruise!
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Passenger

We leave 4/11 with a 17 yr. old son who's not thrilled about going (no computer, no girlfriend, etc.). Like you, I'm hoping he is open-minded once he's on the ship and gives it a chance. I think he'll like the shore excursions, but I hope he's not bored on the ship.
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Sue Sue

Dear KLG, Sounds like a great opportunity for some family bonding before the boys spread their wings. DH and I have cruised with our two boys since they were 7 and 10. As they got older they basically hung around with us "Old folks" as our interests were their interests too. Gather info about the ports you are going to and ask them would they would like. " I don't care" is not an option, you need their input. Maybe get your own snorkel gear and take in some beaches. Or maybe let them look at the street maps and encourage them to take lead, you know, Mom and DAd can follow along for a change! Unfortunately, the ship activities are geared for kids much younger than your guys and then of course, older than your guys. We have been there, done that. So, we just made our own fun by including them in on our shipboard antics. And then, the boys also ventured out some as well. Have a wonderful time. Sue Sue
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Jason Ekis

This will be our third cruise as a family of four.(Triumph 5/22)Son 14 and daughter 11. The first cruise was about 5 years ago the last was two years ago. First cruise we hardly saw the kids because they never wanted to leave the Kids Club. (lots of fun) Second cruise my son and I spent more time together ping pong, snorkeling, video games swimming etc... now I do know they have teen nights and kid parties at certain dance clubs that he enjoyed (and looking forward to again) plus talent shows for both kids. Kids need to be out going and they will have more fun than you could imagine.

any questions feel free
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
elationismyship

We had the same problem taking our son at age 13 but from the minute they get there it's a whole different story. Just wait, you will have them begging for another cruise before they get off!
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Danny

Hi First Time,
We have been on six cruises, we have taken the kids all but 1 time...they love it. They were 9, 13, 15 when we first went. It was on the Sensation.

Danny
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Yeoman

Three years ago, I won a Carnival cruise (booking contest) and took me (of course), DD#1 and DS#2. DS #2 was 18 at the time, and I had to pay full-fare for him. All I heard was "I don't wanna go without my buddies. I won't have anything to do. I won't know anybody. This sucks. Etc" It took three of us to drag his sorry 18-year old self off the ship at the end of the cruise because he had decided that cruising was the most fun thing he'd ever done. He also got into major trouble for calling the equally sorry 18-year old girl he met on that cruise every night for a month, long-distance. Today, he is a sorry 21-year old who is looking forward to his fourth cruise. The best part is that this time, he had to pay for himself!

Post Edited (03-26-04 21:11)