Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:15 AM
lenay

Default Question about arrival at port

Okay the queen of stupid questions has another. In the brochures that Carnival sent it tells you that when you arrive at the Galveston port there will be porters to take your luggage, but they are not responsible if luggage is lost. My sister inlaw who has cruised before told me that we should take our own luggage into the terminal. But from some of the other posts it sounds like you cant/ So can anyone clarify that for me? and tell me what we shoul/shouln't do when we arrive at the Galveston Port.

Thanks for all your help, this message board has been a God Send getting us ready

Thanks again,

John and Lenay
Sailing on the Elation 4/4/04
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Captain

Default Re: Question about arrival at port

They have an Xray pass through machine & ONLY carry-ons are allowed....
The Porters do not work for Carnival, be sure you tip at least $1 per bag....
I cable tie my zippers shut (if they inspect your luggage thenthe tie will be cut) & make up extra bright yellow large tags with my full name on them, also cable tied to each piece of luggage..... This way if Carnival's tag gets tore off you have your Name on the luggage....... Hope this helps you....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Question about arrival at port

lenay, to answer your question... I understand that you do NOT have to turn your bags over to a porter in order to check them. People have said they have taken about ten more steps and checked the bags themselves. To clarify, I am talking about checked items, not carry on.
Old March 27th, 2004, 01:47 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Question about arrival at port

The porter met us at the shuttle and then walks through a "warehouse type area" where he dumps them in bins according to ship. You can follow him or carry you bags to that point, then he brings them behind a fence. We didn't know the return and he ran off in a different direction, we were too busy reading the check in area signs to notice. Since we didn't get a chance to tip we were worried about our bags--but they all made it fine. They are great porters and not money hungry at all! It's a long way to carry your stuff on--I would limit your carry ons and check as much as you can.

Natalie