Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Tamster

Default Snorkle equipt.

Anyone know of of a place to buy cheap, good snorkle equiptment? I don't want to have to keep spending money on renting it. Are ones you were to buy at wal-mart good to use or pretty crappy?

Thanks.
Tami
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61
Default Re: Snorkle equipt.

Hi,
We saw some nice looking equipment at BJ'S wholesale club. I haven't seen any other around much. But do buy and bring yourown, it will work MUCH better than what you can rent. I tried renting it from the ship and they told me they didn't rent equipment.

Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Passenger

I bought a great snorkel set at Sam's Club. The set is made by Body Glove and it works great. The snorkel has a blow out hole at the bottom and a plug at the top so when you go under water it plugs the tube so water can't come in. On the mask it also has a blow out so if you have water in your mask you can get rid of it with out taking off your mask. The fins are nice and the set comes with a handy backpack to carry everything. The price is $49.95 + tax.
I took my own gear on our cruise last year and was glad I did. Our friends rented there's and they were not happy!

Terry

The Carnival Victory 04
Norweigan Norway 03
Norweigan Sea 00
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:35 AM
bjkeen

I bought some at Sports Authority. They had a wide variety of types and prices.
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:21 AM
Familiar Face

I got mine at WalMart. $24.95 for fins, tube and mask. US Divers brand.

Target also had them for about $30.

I get to try mine out next week!

WooHoo!!!

Martha
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Admiral

As posted above this time of year the wholesale clubs carry very nice sets for abot $30 .
Body Glove and US Divers are amoung the very acceptable sets you can buy for recreational snorkelling. Gram uses a Body glove set purchased several years back and this actually gave her better service than her previous sets purchased at a dive shop.
I use body Glove fins purchaed at a wholesale club.They are more comfortable than my more expensive dive shop fins.
Look for a silicone mask. When using it make it snug but not tight. Too tight defeats the soft sided water seal of the mask. You want a snorkel with a purge valve that allows you to expell water with a gentle breath out (most will have this). Fins with an adjustable strap will probably serve you well and allow you to customize a fit .
Most of these features are on the sets sold at moderate prices at mass merchandisers,
discount sports shops and warehouse clubs.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:45 PM
Jan woodward

Based upon the advice given in these posts, to buy equiptment rather than rent it, I went to Google, and found stuff I ordered at "sportsunlimited". I think I paid $55 for a mid grade gogle/snorkle and cool split fins. Cruisin 4/17 (triumph). J
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Joyce R

This is our first cruise, in just 139 days (Inspiration to the WEstern Carribbean). If we take our own snorkle equipment - do we just have the option to go in the water anywhere we want (at the ports) - and just snorkle - or do we still have to go on some type of tour?

I hadn't considered taking my own equipment - but it's sounding like a good way to go.
Thanks very much
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Yeoman

You can snorkel anywhere you want, and don't have to take a tour. HOWEVER...most local beaches have very sandy bottoms. which is why they're popular for swimming...but not snorkelling. Good snorkelling depends on underwater rocks and coral..which attract fish...which is what they live in, hide in, and feed from. I've been to so many local beaches - just to have a sun and beach day - and have seen so many newbie snorkellers standing in 3 feet of water and looking at a sandy bottom, that I just had to wonder what the heck were they looking at! If you're a first-timer, take a snorkelling tour, where you'll actually get to see something!

Post Edited (04-03-04 15:33)
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Snorkle equipt.

Thanks for the advice... sounds good.

If I"m going to take a tour - then do I take my own equipment? Or just go with what they provide.?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Yeoman

I would definitely take my own mask, (snorkel, and fins.) Your snorkel equipment will be provided with the excursion, but just remember that this same equipment is used weekly (52 weeks a year) by umpteen kazilliion cruisers booking these same excursions. I'm a snorkeller/diver (note screen name), and always take my own. The most important thing is a good mask fit. The snorkel tube isn't all that important, and neither are the swim fins for a short snorkel. Your mask is the really important item, to make sure it fits comfortably, and doesn't leak. It.'s all about the mask!