Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:27 PM
ginajensen

Default Just returned from the Pride

Hi Everyone!

I just returned from the Pride yesterday. If anyone has any questions that I can answer , I will be happy to do so. Also thanks to everyone who responded to my questions before I left.

Sincerely,
Gina
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Jim O

Default Re: Just returned from the Pride

Any great tours that you can recommend? We will be going on May 30th.
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:18 PM
rlp

We leave this Sunday 4-4-04. This may sound silly but is really important to me. Do they have down pillows, or should I bring my own?

Also how cold was the dining room. Shawl or light sweater okay?

Did you have kids with you? If so did they enjoy themselves?

Why do people say you should bring duct tape?

I'm sure I'll think of a few more. thanks
Old March 30th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Passenger

Going on the Pride 6/6/04, can you recommend any tours. I also would like to know if you took kids, we are bringing two boys 16 & 14.
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:26 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: Just returned from the Pride

Took Pride in Feb and enjoyed all our excursions. We took the Unimog rainforest safari truck tour with beach bbq in PV. This was all day, 7hrs, crazy guides from Varharta Adventures thru ship, lots of fun, some beach time, open bar, all you can eat, short hike thru rainforest, stops in couple of small towns, including stop at tortilla factory. In Mazatlan, took Randi's Happy Horses tour to Stone Island, riding thru palms, on beach with nice garlic shrimp lunch at Victors with $2 beer. For Cabo, we took the ships whalewatching tour which was great--good sightings very close, and open bar!! Plenty of time to walk to town and resorts. Lovers Beach there is nice. Any boat tour or coastal tour that shows you the beaches and local resorts is interesting. We have also done the Sierra Madre tour in Mazatlan to see small villages and local people. Kids may not like. Coastal tour in cabo goes to nice resorts and San Jose de Cabo and is nice drive.
PV is nice place to walk around downtown and along the malecon.
Old March 30th, 2004, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Hi Gina I hope yoiu had a great trip .What cabin were you in (floor)? Was it roomy ?
how were the excursions? Food? Thank you for any info you can give..Also are you postin a review?Let us know if n when you do. Shelly

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:22 AM
Passenger

Did you check in early and if so was there a tour of the Queen Mary, and if so how much was it.

How much was the soda cards?

img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=06&year=2004&day=06&hour=16:00[/img]
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:07 PM
ginajensen

Some of us only did the lazy tours!!

In Puerto Vallarta we did the Paradise Beach Village--this tour allows you to use the facilities and the beach at the Paradise Beach resort. The times are 8:30 am or 1:15 pm and you are at the resort for approx 3 and 1/2 hours however we took the 8:30 one and stayed all day (which you can) You either need to pay for your own taxi back in this case or be fortunate to find an extra seat on the afternoon tours bus. The hotel has a hospitality suite where we were able to shower, put on make up , dry hair etc both for men and women. This way we just got ready to go out for the evening and did not have to waste any time going back to the boat to shower etc, however I did have to carry my bag with hairdryer and everything else in it but it was not that big of a deal. Paradise Village also has their own mall across the street that has about 30 shops including Mcdonalds and Dominos pizza. It also contained a large supermarket where you could buy snacks to take to the beach club (keep in mind they do not allow coolers). Lunch was not included but they had restaurants where lunch could be purchased. I would do this tour again.

A few people in our group did the Jungle Tour. They felt that it could have been done in 2 hours instead of the 5 hours it took. For example, there was no mention in the description that they would be stopping for lunch so our friends ate before they went. Then they found out they were stopping and they had to just sit around for an hour waiting for everyone elso to have lunch.

Others in a group rented four wheels and rode around a day. They had a ball!!!!!

In Mazatlan, we did the shopping, beach and lunch tour. The resort was not as flashy as Paradise village however the resort was nice and the buffet lunch that was included was very good.

In Cabo we just walked off the ship and shopped. had lunch at the Office. Then returned to the ship early to catch our last few hours of sun.

Again in Cabo some rented four wheelers and again had a great time.

__________________________________________________ ________

RP- My cabin did not have down pillows. I thought that the pillows were fine however I guess that everyone has their own preference. My were kinda flat but that is how I like them.

As far as the dining room being cold--this was the first cruise where I did not find the dining room cold however I think normally they are so I woulb bring your sweater.

RP and Mike-
We did not have any kids in our group however I hear that there was 600 kids on the ship.

Shelly-My cabin was a balcony on the 8th floor one deck below the pool. Once you get your stuff put away and suitcases under the bed I think that there is plenty of room for 2 people at least. The bathroom seemed a little smaller than on the Conquest however it could just have been my imagination.

I love Carnival however the food was the worst that I have had on a Carnival ship. I am not saying it was bad just not very good.

As far as check in, our ship left 2-3 hours late due to a medical emergency on the ship the week before. We stayed at the Queen Mary and they have early check in from 9-11:30 for their guests. Due to the ship returning to Long Beach late eventually everyone checked in at the Queen Mary desks--At least 1/2 the passengers waited in line for over 2 hours to check their luggage on the ship. Although the embarkation process was very annoying and very unusual the bottom line is Carnival saved a little girls life and that is all that really matters .

My understanding from the people at the port is that on a normal day they do not open the doors to the terminal to board the ship until 3pm

I am sorry I do not know the price for touring the Queen Mary

Soda cards were cheaper than advertised only $29.95

Sorry this is not very organized

Sincerely, Gina
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:30 PM
Relliea

Hi, I just got off Pride on the 28th as well. As for pillows, i brought my own down pillow and was glad I did, the ones they had were flat. For anyone with a balcony cabin I urge you to pack a bungee cord for the balcony door. I got that hint from someone on this board and it was the best "extra" item we brought along on the trip.
The Queen Mary tour was $6.....The dining room was a bit cool for me, bring a sweater or shawl. The decks around the pool are VERY slippery, several people were in the infirmary with ankle and wrist injuries. I accidently ran into a glass wall Tuesday night and broke my nose (and I don't even drink!) . It was pretty emabarrassing having two black eyes during the cruise. I made the best of it with dark sunglasses and a big floppy straw hat. Beware of those floor to ceiling window panels around the Starry Night......the light relecting off the glass gives the illusion of an entryway rather than a glass wall. Ouch...that really hurt!

Other than my accident it was a great cruise. We had a far aft cab on the Empress deck overlooking the wake. Excellent!
The Pride is a beautiful ship and overall I felt the food & service was very good.
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:30 PM
kkcruisers

Hi, Do you know who the piano player was in the piano bar? What other type of entertainment did you see? Did you eat at Davids? Thanks, we will be leaving for LA in 16 days. Also did you like staying on the QM and where was your room? thanks again. K
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM
ginajensen

The piano player was Lou. We thought that he was great and really really fun!. I think he said he was leaving the ship but I am not sure? We went to the dance show and the late night comedy . In our opinion, both were very good. Yes we ate at Davids--again as I said above about the rest of the food, it was just not as good as we have had in the past, however I would still recommend going there--We probably just experienced an off night. We did enjoy staying at the Queen Mary-our room was A130 which was on the same floor as the lobby. I am not sure what type of room it was but it seemed bigger than our room on the Pride--I was not expecting that. When you entered there was a small room with a twin bed, then you walked down a narrow hallway (maybe 20 feet) and off that was the bathroom and then at the end was the room with the king bed. My understanding at the front desk was it was basically first come first serve as to what room you were in. The only bad thing was they had a Ladies night that night. I don't know if that is every Sat night or just the night that we were there. Our room happened to overlook the outside area where a portion of the party was taking place. The noise was so loud (I am 34 and like to party ,so I feel if I think it is loud -it is) and I had to keep the TV on until 2 am to help drown out the noise. I assume the hotel realizes that people in our room would hear this as I am sure that others have complained but they never mentioned that it would be taking place . Like I said though, we just rolled with it, and understood that people were just having a good time. You might consider asking for a room that is not above this party. I hope that I have answered all your questions.

Sincerely,

Gina
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
kkcruisers

Thanks for the info Gina. We were on the Pride in 2002 and we loved the Piano Bar and the player. We know he left right after that cruise but we don't know where to. Does anyone know who I mean. He was on the Pride for the 1st couple of cruises out of Port Canaveral?
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:37 PM
First Mate

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW YOU ARE ABLE TO STAY ON THE QUEEN MARY THE NIGHT BEFORE?(opps sorry )Is that somthing through Carnival or how do you get the info on that? Thank you Shelly

Old April 7th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Whiteknight

Information about staying at the Hotel Queen Mary, the ship, can be obtained at queenmary.com or at 562-435-3511.
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:15 PM
First Mate

Thank you White night !!! Sounds fun