Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:03 PM
elationismyship

Default Belize Zoo

Can anyone tell me that if I get off the ship in Belize (I realize by tender) can we just grab a cab to the zoo? How much the cab would be approximately - I know the zoo is $8.00 US per person. DH doesn't want to spend money on a tour so trying to price it out on our own.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Bcollins

Default Re: Belize Zoo

As far as I can remember, the zoo was at least a half an hour bus ride from the port. I didn't find it to be worth the money--my kids' favorite part was buying ice cream in the tiny gift shop. It was soooo hot there, and this was in December!
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:02 AM
First Mate

We heard that the zoo wasn't all that great either. We took the Baboon Sanctuary and City tour....our guide was good at getting the Howler Monkeys to come to where we were the other group wasn't as fortunate. Belize is one of those places where I would have to suggest you take some sort of an excursion....but that is just my personal opinion.
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why go to the ZOO??? Go on the river wallace tour and see howler monkeys in the wild and manatees and crocodiles along with iguanas and bats.
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:40 AM
First Mate

Highly recommend a tour, any tour, in Belize. It's a beautiful place, but not somewhere you'd wander around on your own. The port is gated and there'll be people hanging from the gates, held back by gaurds, trying to get to the passengers. Folks with the tours had no problems.

Old March 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Take a ships tour. They are reasonably priced and handled by expert guides that will treat you right. You will also have their knowledge and expertice as well as the added safety and comfort factor. Lots of great tours to do there.
Jim

Old March 30th, 2004, 02:48 PM
ElationismyShip

Virginia:

The Zoo isn't a zoo in our sense of zoo - it's a animal rescue center. Having a daughter that wants to be a vet, the Belize "zoo" would be a great place for her to see many different animals up close better than she would here in the states. However, from what I'm reading it doesn't look like it's even worth it.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
spike

refresh
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Belize Zoo

I had heard it wasn't that big. we went up the river wallace and saw manatees, crocodiles, monkeys in the trees, bats, termite nests in the trees, and very large iguanas.
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Mrs. Magoo

My husband and I took the tour of the Belize Zoo with Carnival. We enjoyed seeing the ONLY Jaguars in captivity. The zoo isn't what we call a zoo but the animals are very interesting and our guides were very knowledgable. Our tour was the Belize city and zoo tour. I got a good Cd of the animals. Some great pictures. You can also take a Taxi ride to the zoo and not buy the excursion from carnival. If we went there again we would go on our own to the zoo and to tour the city. We paid $98.00 for the two of us to go on that excursion through carnival it is much cheaper to go on your own.