Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Default PROGRESSO???

I am a planner like most of you seem to be and I like to know what to expect. I want to just hang at a nice beach in Progresso and not do an organized excursion. Is that even possible? Can anyone who has been there give me some insight on the beaches in Progresso and how do you get to them? Also how is the shopping. Leaving on the Elation on June 20.

Celebration 7/03
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Default Re: PROGRESSO???

Progresso is a small village right on a long beautiful public beach. Are you going on the Elation? If so, Progresso is situated a lot like Galveston only 100 years ago. The village faces the beach and there is a main "drag" that goes right past it. This beach is public but it is nice and very close to the shops, restaurants in the village. There may be private beaches or beach excursions available but I don't remember.

Elation 020104
Holiday 103102
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:42 PM

I regret not going to the beach in Progresso ....we passed it on our way back to the ship and it was gorgeous...
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:26 AM
First Mate

You're gonna be pleasantly surprised. Progresso is a vacation spot used by the Mexican nationals. When I was there, Glor y2/28/04, the town's population was about 30,000. This reaches something like 250,000 at the peak of the season. The ship docks at the end of a 4.8 mile pier and there's lots of shopping right there. Free busses will take you to the public beach at the end of the pier. Great beach but the water doesn't have quite the clarity of Cozumel or Playa del Carmen. We did the Meridia City tour which was great, but regretted not spending more time in Progresso. Guess we'll just have to go back. I've got a couple pictures of Progresso posted under "Glory 2,28,2004".

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:36 AM

Thanks to all of you!! I had heard such negative things about Progreso and your posts are helping me to get much more excited!! This is actually the first time I have read anything postitive about Progreso!! All I want to do is hang on the beach!
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:54 AM
First Mate
Default Re: Re: PROGRESSO???

I was just on the Elation. The pier is long about 6 miles. They setup a little village with a few shops, right off the ship. However, when you walk thru there, you will find free air-conditioned shuttle buses to take you in to town. They leave you at an outdoor market. The prices were really good, but I didn't realize that since it was so early in the cruise!

The woman that rode ont he bus spoke good English and directed several people to the beach, two blocks away. The beach is pretty and heard the restaurant is decent. However, the water was a little murky.

Carnival does a beach party excursion there. Alot of people also enjoyed the Mereida tour--this is a much bigger city.

Have fun,

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

When the bus drops you at the open air market, walk up the sidewalk about 30 feet. That is the pickup point for what I will call the, "double decker pickup truck bus tour". You won't believe the vehicle until you see it. They will give you a 20-30 min tour of the local area and the beaches and bars. When they drop you back at the marketplace, you can walk the 2 blocks back to the beach, but now you'll know where you want to set up. The tour would be worth it just to ride in one of those ??buses??trucks??. But you also get the lay of the land for the whopping price of 1 dollar per person.
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the info!! That bus actually sounds kinda neat for the kids. Thanks Natalie for the shopping info. I will keep in mind that the prices are probably better there since it is the first port we will be stopping at. We actually found that out last year when we went to Cozumel first and then Playa del Carmen the next day. The prices were better in Playa on alot of things. I am actually looking more forward to Progreso now!! Anyone eles on the Elation June 20?

buses, progresso, town