Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:30 PM
ToddLS

Default Advice for younger cruises

I need some advice: I am planning to go on a Carnival cruise at the end of July, but I'm not sure which ship to take. Last year I went on the Inspiration for a 7 day cruise in May. Recently, at the end of March, I went on an 8 day on the Spirit. While I loved the Spirit, the demographic seemed much older (people in their 70s) than what was on the Inspiration. In fact, last year on the Inspiration I met several people my own age (late teens to 20s) but this year on the Spirit I did not.

Does anyone have any advice on which ship/time period I should take in July? A couple things I've heard - the less expensive ships (Inspiration vs. Spirit) & shorter time periods (7 days vs. 8) help ensure a younger crowd. Does anyone have more specific advice I might follow to make sure I'm on a cruise with more people my own age?
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Tenley

Default Re: Advice for younger cruises

both cruises i've gone on have been 4-5day cruises aboard the fascination....

Shorter cruises are just more affordable for younger people thats what I've noticed. Both of the cruises I went on were alll younger people, granted one was on New Years Eve and the other was during college spring break...but they were all majority a younger crowd...
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:08 PM
kernfam01

Mabey if you have a cruise in mind, you can call carnival and ask them. I know they can tell you how many kids are booked, so mabey they can also tell you how many 20-somethings are booked, or the average age already booked on the cruise. I have no idea if they could, but just a suggestion.
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to newaddiction Send a message via MSN to newaddiction

I agree, shorter cruises tend to be what the 20 somethings can afford. I've been on two cruises aboard Carnival Ecstasy (you may have been spoiled while aboard Spirit and find the Ecstasy to be too old and run-down) and loved every minute of them. Lots of people my age (mid to late 20's) and many younger.

And just to note, we sailed Spirit to Alaska and we definitely were bored out of our minds because most activities were geared towards the 50+ group.

Ecstasy - Ensenada 11/2003 & 2/2003
Spirit - Alaska 9/2003
Pride - Riviera 9/2004
Paradise - Baja 1/2006
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Well definitely stick with the Carvnival Cruise Lines. All the cruises I've been on over the last several years, (and I am going to be 22 next month) I see more teens and 20's on probably any ship during Spring Break. Which for us is usually the first week in April. The 2 previous years I've been on the Victory and Triumph obviously both are large ships and both were for spring break cruises. Which also were both 7 days.. met lots of people my age, so really I don't think the ship matters all that much. I've also been on the Imagination in late July of 1999 and also met people my age. Not as many as I did during the spring break cruises though. So if you're looking to meet people your age I'd say go during Spring Break,, first week in April next year. Although,, how old are you? if you go on the Fascination in November of this year.. November 19th I believe,, (on only a 3 day, though) but you may just run into my cousin and I, which she'll be 21 and I'll be 22.

Happy Cruising!

Kim

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:07 PM
ToddLS

Thanks for all the great comments. Kim, I want to go in July so spring break won't work. But I was thinking that the summer would be a good time for younger people.

I don't want to go on too crappy of a ship, but I thought the less expensive it was, the more likely younger people willl br on it. Is this true or does the ship not matter in the summer? Thanks!
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Advice for younger cruises

I honestly don't think ship matters. Like I said, I was on the larger ships, the Triumph and the Victory,, even on a Royal Caribbean ship that was a larger ship and there were alot of teens on those ships. (But Carnival is better) And then again like I also said.. those were all during spring break. But I guess, I was on the Fantasy in July of 1995 and on the Imagination in July of 1999. And not to mention I was also on the Ecstasy in December of 1997. And I guess there were quite a few teens on the cruises in July too. Which I consider "Mid-Sized ships" but they are very nice. The one on the Fantasy (in 1995) though, I didn't meet that many people. But that was cause of a few reasons.. one was because I was shy at the age of 15, Did meed 1 very nice guy my age though on night 2 and hung out with him the 2nd and 3rd nights, (SMASH I MISS YOU So does "DAD") A second reason was because it was my very first cruise and wasn't sure what to expect. And a third reason was because afterall it was only a 4 day cruise and on the 3rd night (early evening) we were starting to get into rougher seas,, with having rainy days/nights. Cause guess why,,,,,, because we were in a hurricane! You know what happens when you are in a hurricane and the seas become rough, right? People get seasick, . (Myself included) Day 3 I woke up sicker then sick. So I spent all day in the cabin in my bed while my other family members went and walked around (or tried to anyway). Therefore, I couldn't go and meet new people. It was quite the experience for a first cruise let me tell ya. Day 4 at sea though, I tried to get out and what a memorable experience that was, Seeing over half the ship passengers and crew members sick. Cause those of them on the FWD part of the ship,, came to the middle where the ship was less tipsy. (not by much I don't think ) ... so ANYWAY. Back onto the subject here... I really don't think ship size will matter going in July. I think anyone should be okay for you. As long as you're not in a hurricane :o) Pick the places you wanna go and pick the ship you wanna go on and I think you're safe no matter what you choose :o) But seriously, just out of curiosity,, how old are you??

Happy Cruising!

Kim

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)