Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Clark

Default Dining on non-formal night.

What's the typical dress for men on the non-formal night. Can you wear shorts with a nice polo or golf shirt??

Any info would be a great help.

Chad
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Dining on non-formal night.

Hi! Shorts are NOT allowed in the dining room. You'll have to wear khaki's or dockers. Sorry!
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Our last cruise, my husband wore a jacket and tie to every dinner....the rest of the men at our table groaned every non-formal night because they said they're wives would ask them later, "why can't you dress up like that?"....**....But, hey, my husband is a clothes horse, and he only did it for a lark. Our next cruise, this August, he'll be taking jacket and tie only for formal nights (actually he may take a tux; some characteristics just don't change!)...

I believe Carnival does not allow shorts in the dining room at dinner (they're okay for breakfast and lunch, however), and requires a man's shirt to have a collar.

I'm sure you're going to have a great time!
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:04 PM
First Mate

If you just can't bear the thought of being in long pants...you can always eat on the Lido deck at the buffet or pizza place (some ships have more than the buffet and pizza available on the Lido deck).
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:34 PM
cantw82cruz

Chances are nobody would say anything to you if you did wear shorts. My brother wore a nice pair of khaki shorts in the dining room on a nonformal night and nothing was said to him. I know that some people get really excited about what others wear in the dining room but my brother wanted to wear what he was comfortable in. He at least looked neat and tidy, you will see people in the dining room that may be "technically" dressed according to the dress code but looking far worse than someone neatly attired in shorts
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Captain

I wore a black blazer, white long sleeve shirt, matching tie, & dress pants.... Seemed to work, I blended in on the Formal nights... I was more casual on non-formal nights but did wear nice slacks & long sleeve shirt....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Admiral

I *have* heard of people being turned away at the door the dining room for wearing shorts, but I also know that some folks weren't.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Shorts are NOT allowed in the main dining room during the evening meal with the exception of the first evening as some do not get their luggage. That happened to me for the first time while onboard a RCI ship in Feb. Again, this is unusual as it was the first time in two dozen cruises I did not get my clothes in time to change for dinner. I have seen people turned away from the dining room because they tried to enter in shorts and I have seen some get in. As the 'rules' state that shorts are not allowed anyone that wears them knows they are breaking the rules and have no consideration for them and therefore are impolite and self-centered in my opinion. Wear slacks/dockers and a nice shirt/polo/golf/etc.
Jim

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Beginner

I fully agree with Jim!!! As a many time cruiser it's not only appropriate to follow the rules but also the considerate thing to do for your fellow passengers. We take our two young boys often and follow the dress code with them also...We see many children WITH parents not following the dress code. Good way to teach your children for the future. Best teacher is by setting an example and following the rules! (PS. Our boys LOVE the compliments they receive...not to mention the parents also!) You don't have to spend a lot to do this either!

Jim keep up your words of wisdom...the whole forum I'm sure appreciates it.

Post Edited (04-05-04 19:55)
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Dining on non-formal night.

We just went on the Elation. On the other 5 nights everyone was super casual (it was during spring break). You could hardly tell most people changed for dinner. But, the formal nights were extremely dressy. Lots of long gowns and tuxes followed by suits and cocktail dresses.

No shorts though, although, my husband said he saw a pair or two at dinner and thought that was tacky. Our Matre d' was trying to earn tips all week, so I am sure he didn't ask a sole to leave the dining room to change!

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Dining on non-formal night.

cantw82cruz' - Some people get really excited about what others wear ' WELL HOW DARE THEY!!!! Never mind that the ship clearly asks 'ALL' to refrain from wearing shorts, jeans & T shirts in the dining room. They do this to attempt to keep all clothing to a certain standard otherwise u would be amazed what we would wld see in there.... I believe that incleded your brother also and here is a question for you - if the traffic control says NO LEFT TURN does he left turn anyway because he is more comfortable turning left than right?? Nuff' said right?? Happy cruisin'!