Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Passenger

Default Assigned Cabin/Potential for Upgrade?

I'm booked and have an assigned cabin number already. Will they do free upgrades if the ship isn't a sellout? Or, if the prices come down, can I get an upgrade for what I've already spent? If so, what's the best way to go about doing that?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM
darlenenjake

Default Re: Assigned Cabin/Potential for Upgrade?

Not sure how exactly this works, but I will tell you our situation. We cruised the Paradise 7 night 3/28... last week. We had three cabins all under one reservation. They assigned one cabin about a month and 1/2 ago... we got cabin E80, as week booked a 4a or above gty... and the others were left as TBA. When we checked in they gave us cabins E80, M210 and M214... the later two were ocean views (full window, not porthole)... so I guess we got upgraded only on our TBA cabins.
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM
charlese

Default Re: Re: Assigned Cabin/Potential for Upgrade?

we received our docs with a cabin assigned already...not an upgrade. is there a chance that tis will change or not?
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Passenger

I keep hearing about GTY. What is that?
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM
bjkeen

With a "guarantee" you are guaranteed what you pay for. What do you consider an upgrade? If the ship is not full there is a possibility of an upgrade to a higher category (7a to 8a for example), people have different ideas of what they consider as an upgrade. What are you looking for? Do you want a larger cabin, more sleeping area, a certain location on the ship, a suite, a suite with a jaccuzzi? If you mention to the ta that you are interested in an upgrade, and to please tell the cruise co. if there is a chance of an upgrade that you are interested you never know what might happen. Also when you board you can go to the Purser's desk and tell them that if the ship isn't full that you are interested in an upgrade. Make sure you specify what you consider an upgrade, or you may me disappointed. For me, if I book a cat. 8a and find when I board that I have been moved mid ship to a suite with a jaccuzzi now I'd consider that an upgrade (smiling).

Anytime you can look outside and see only water, it's a good day.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It sounds like you booked a specific cabin and most likely thats the cabin you'll have. When you book a guarantee catagory cabin, you are booking a catagory, not a specific cabin, so some chance of an upgrade if that catagory is sold out, then you move up, not down, because you book a catagory and you'll get that catagory or better, so its a hit or miss situation...

Here is a good article that explains the booking a guarantee:

Booking a Guarantee cabin

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Yeoman

Great link, Donna. Nutshell: Cabin assignments don't usually get upgrades because you've already selected your cabin and agreed to it. GTY cabins mean you won't get anything less than the category you booked, but you could get an upgrade. Depends on the ship and the time of year, generally.
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Passenger

Good link, Donna. Thanks. Most folks don't understand this.
Le

Old April 6th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Darla

One more note concerning GTY vs. specific cabin assignment....

We had originally booked a specific room for our upcoming (May 1st) cruise on the Triumph. After much thought, we called our Carnival vacation planner (he's the same one we used last year and has been great) and asked if we could have our cabin "un-assigned" and go to GTY status. They CAN do this! We are now booked for GTY 4F and we decided that we'll be happy no matter what cabin we get. As I've read in many other posts, the best advice is to book the type of room you'll be happy in, and be willing to pay for it. If you get an upgrade it's great, but don't bank on it.

Last year when we cruised on the Inspiration, we booked a GTY 1A and ended up with an upgrade to 4A. We were on the Empress deck, which was nice, but we were practically in the nose of the ship. One morning around 6 or 7 o'clock, something woke us from a sound sleep - and it was a pretty dreadful sound. At first I had no idea what it was, but I later realized it was the anchor chains dropping 0 apparently not far from our cabin - or so it seemed.

Even with this inconvenience, and being all the way at the front of the ship, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. It was our first but I think we've found our new annual "must-do" vacation.

(Leaving in 24 days on Carnival Triumph to celebrate our 10th anniversary!)
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:30 AM
wick

Glory sailing 4/10/04, I was upgraded from interior room to outside room with balcony.
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:04 PM
aggieastrosfan

To provide the opposite site to "only GTY get upgrades..."

We booked our 5/2 Elation sailing in mid-February with a 6B assigned through an online TA. Last month, major price drop, I e-mailed customer service, and the next day, we had a 6D assigned.

A week later, another price drop, I called customer service this time, and was told only one upgrade per cabin. No biggie, We were happy with our room.

A couple of weeks ago, I called customer service again about the cost of an upgrade - hubby and I really wanted to try a suite, but we agreed we would spend an additional $300/person at most, and no obstructed view. Price I was quoted was about $500 for a suite guarantee, and $1000 for cat 12. No, thanks.

Today, I checked online at carnival.com, and we are now booked in an assigned cat 12! I still don't know how it happened, but we only had assigned cabins the entire time. We've both taken two previous Carnival cruises - don't know if this helped us or not.

Anyway, it CAN happen, but I think our sailing was booking slow and we just got really lucky. There's still 4 cat 12's and 6-8 cat 11's available for our cruise. Oh, yeah, E47 is available now as well.
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Stacey Schafer

I booked two adjoining rooms for our cruise because we have small children and I need access to them. Any chance of being upgraded? I was thinking probably not since we booked adjoining. Any advice on getting an upgrade with this situation. Thanks
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Passenger

How do you check online for cabin assignment?
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:01 PM
patnshan

We are on the Holiday for 4/19/04 and booked an IS category. Is this the same as guaranteed. We were under the impression that it couldn't be less than the standard inside stateroom, but could involve an upgrade? Anything to do to check this out first or will they not assign anything until we arrive?
Pat
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Admiral

How many times does this have to be said? Book what you will be HAPPY with. Do not expect an upgrade. The odds are that you WILL NOT get one. If by the slim chance you were to get an upgrade...it would probably be the same type cabin..just on a higher deck. I see cruisers here who brag on the fantastic upgrade they got thru their TA...what actually happend (most of time) is the cruise price went down and instead of a refund of difference, the TA got cruiser an upgrade. They PAID for it . BOOK what you will be happy with.