Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Passenger

Default ELATION cruisers past and Future.

Attn Elation cruisers... I saw this thread on another site and it has been really fun to read. If you are a past Elation cruiser, tell us about your experience. IF you are a future Elation cruiser, when are you going? I am with a group of 23 and we sail June 20. Can't wait. Anyone eles sailing June 20? Let us hear from you!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM
TexCroozer

Default Re: ELATION cruisers past and Future.

Past and future Elation cruiser here. Previously on 11/26/03 and again on 5/09/04! She is a great ship and you will never run out of things to do. If I may make reccommendations.....In Progreso it is worth the 2.5 hour bus ride to go to Chichen-Itza. In Cozumel, go out on your own and explore the island and in Belize definately do a ship sponsored excursion! Have a great time and may have cruise many more times!!!
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: ELATION cruisers past and Future.

Thanks for the tips tex!!! Bump Bump
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:58 PM
First Mate

The Elation is one of my favorite Carnival ships (out of the 7 we've been on). We took her last April when she was still doing the Mexican Riviera. The crew was wonderful.

We've also been to the ports you are going to (we were on the Glory). My husband also agrees with Tex. He felt the 2.5 hour bus ride was well worth the visit to Chitzen Itza.
I headed for Merida and the Rodeo that day and enjoyed it as well. (His pictures were more spectacular than mine....I didn't go because I had seen similar ruins with my grandfather years ago.)

In Cozumel you might want to take a cab to Chankanaab Park....$10 one way..and $10 to get in. There is some good snorkeling there..the beach is sandy - but it doesnt graduate into the water instead there are steps made out of the reef that go into the water. There are some paths with plants and flowers, a beautiful blue pool clear enough to see tropical fish swimming in, and various artifacts from area ruins. (Lots of Iguanas, too...although you have to look for them as they blend well.) There is a small museum on the premises, stores, restaurant, changing area with lockers, and places that rent snorkel equipment. There is also a dolphin experience thing there - but it wasn't open when we were there a few years back so I don't know much about it.
After spending a few hours here you still have plenty of time to go back into town to shop.

In Belize...we went on the City and Baboon Sanctuary Tour. We were divided in the two groups at the Sanctuary and we were with the guide who really made an effort to get the Howler Monkeys to come to us. It was great. I agree with Tex...it's important to do a ship sponsored excursions here as the city itself isn't much. You also might want to look at the thread on Belize that's currently on this page. There are several suggestions for what to do there.
Old April 13th, 2004, 05:24 PM
way2fast72

My wife and I are going on Elation 6/20/04.We have never sailed before and have wanted to for yrs.Cant wait to leave.
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Passenger

Way2Fast,
You and your wife will be on the Elation with me and my group of 22!! We can't wait either. This will be our second cruise. We went on the Celebration last July and had a great time. We plan to do the public beach at Progresso, Paradise Beach in Cozumel and a snorkeling excursion in Belize. Thanks for keeping this thread alive!!

Anyone eles done or doing Elation?
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Passenger

We will be going June 13 on the Elation with 2 teens
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM
TexCroozer

Got docs today for May 9th cruise. Booked a 6A guarantee and did not geta stateroom assignment. Recieved the (TBA) luggage tags. My travel agent says that this is a good thing. Better chance for upgrades! We will see!!!! Just kinda weird not knowing where we will end up!
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Caribbean Dave

NOVEMBER 20TH
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Passenger

We just got back today and had a wonderful time on the Elation. Our first cruise and it met all of our expectations. Service great, food fantastic, ports fun-filled. I was worried my 17 yr. old son would be bored and we actually hardly saw him! My 12 yr. old loved it too. We all agreed it was our best vacation ever!

I would strongly recommend doing shore excursions through independent tours. Much less expensive for the same or better trip. We even did Belize cave tubing with Richard at Extreme and he was great. We did 2 caves instead of 1 (which Carnival sponsored tour does). We were there at the end with the Carnival people and made it back to tender before them. We saved $20 per person too.

In Progresso, kids didn't like the idea of 5 hrs. on a bus to do some ruins, so we did the one.....Dzi..... not sure of spelling.... with was 1 hr. trip. It was very interesting. Cozumel - it was rough waters - so all the water trips got cancelled, including our snorkeling trip. We went to Chankanaab Park on our own and rented snorkeling equipment and played around with that at the beach. Met some people who went near shopping area and found a snorkeling tour that did run in the afternoon when the water was calmer. Fraction of Carnival's price.

It was a great trip and I really don't have anything negative to say about it, except it had to end!
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:16 PM
First Mate

Hubby and I, along with 4 other relatives, will be sailing on the Elation on Agusut 8, 2004. Anyone else going that week?
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Ken Nohrden

Elation 5/02/04
Elation 2000
Elation 1998

Great ship, great crew. Looking forward to another adventure afloat!
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM
First Mate

We already cruised on March 14th. Had a great trip. Have a review posted under Ship Reviews.

If any of you haven't gone on the Elation yet and are willing to do me a favor, please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Natalie
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM
she

i'm going may 9th its my first cruise
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM
kmsolo

I just confirmed my trip on the Elation for May 23rd! My 1st cruise, and my 1st vacation going solo. Any advice is appreciated! I am so excited, and grateful I found this site...
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM
she

yeah me to i'm going solo .......do u think i will still have fun
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:13 PM
kmsolo

she- I hope we both have fun, I am counting on it. There are a lot of articles on single (or solo) cruising on this website, I found them very informative- hope you have read up... Let me know how you like you trip, and if there is anything I should know before I go. Good luck, and if you can't find fun- make fun!
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:17 PM
she

yeah thats what i'm planning on doing having some fun......my sister told me to have a fling....lol but i wont, i will be nice just to get away
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Ashely

Hello! My husband and I went on the Elation Jan. 04, 2004 for our honeymoon! We had a wonderful time.......I didn't really like Meridia, I think it was just a culture shock for me and I wasn't very comfortable in my surroundings. I heard that is was wonderful as long as you take a tour, so I definately recommend taking some type of tour. Cozumel is the best! I wouldn't plan on any tours there, just go to the park and you will have plenty of time to shop too! Belieze has beautiful water but not too many shops to go to. We ate at this place called THE WET LIZARD, I think we ate there just b/c of the name, they had really good salsa and chips, but don't expect food like on the ship. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did! Good Luck!
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Candi

Ooooo, we're on the May 9th cruise too! I can't wait to go and yet there's so much to do before then, I don't think I'll be able to do it all!
You're gonna love cruising, she! If you have any questions, just ask on any of these boards; they're great. If you want to know anything, I've done a ton of research on this cruise and have been on a few myself. I really love these boards and the nice thing is that you can talk to people goin on your same cruise and get excited together. Where are you from?
Natalie, I might be willing to do you a favor, depending on the favor of course!

Until I our family sails on the Elation!
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM
she

what kind of favor
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Passenger

we are going june 27 with 3 and 5 year olds. Tell me about the ship, camp Carnival, and Excursions.
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Going with kids, etc,

We went on the Elation on March 14th. We have two girls 14.5 and 11. The 11 really enjoyed camp carnival. I posted a long review under Ship Reviews, then member reviews.

We took a Carnival excursion in Belize (I highly recommend doing that), we hired a private guide in Cozumel and then did Progresso on our own--kind of a wasted port. The people that did either the Mereida city tour or the ruins through Carnival all really enjoyed them.

We loved the Elation and all had a great time! Have fun everyone!
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM
wojo

GOING ON ELATION MAY 16TH
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

my family of 5 is going on elation august 8, 2004! can't wait!
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:10 AM
Gaye

Hi!!! Only 10 days left until we leave-May 2/04. Travelling with my son & his friend. Graduation celebration for him. I have cruised one time on Fascination & loved it. Looking forward to exploring a different part of Mexico. I am having a hard time getting any info on car rentals in Progresso. Should we wait until we get there or book ahead? If so does anyone have a web site to contact?

If you are sailing with us please reply . Would be fun to meet .

Gaye
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM
First Mate

deanna....maybe I will see you there!!
Old April 21st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Happy Camper

We'll be leaving this Sunday - April 25th! Can't wait!!!! Debbie

Natalie - what favor?
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to NDalfrey

We have a group of about 60 or so leaving on the Elation on November 21, Thanksgiving Week. We all can't wait till we sail!!!

Carnival Elation
Old April 21st, 2004, 03:59 PM
SarahW

Deanna - our family of 6 is going on August 8th, too! Can't wait! How old are your children? Send me an email and let's chat. I am in Texas, too...near Austin.