Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jablock
Default Just back...Conquest

Just back from cruising on the Conquest. Does anyone have questions to ask? Let me know. Janet

Carnival Conquest
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:49 PM
ron bridges

Default Re: Just back...Conquest

Two of us are going on the Conquest this Sunday, the 18th of April. This will be our first cruise. Is there anything you can share with us about you week on the Conquest, what we might expect to experience! I realize it depends on your socia attitude. Any help wil be appreciated! Thanks!

Ron
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Cajuncrab

Hi!

I will be leaving on the Conquest in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you could tell me what time you were able to check in - if it took a long time (long lines, etc.) and what time you were able to get on the ship. We are planning on getting there around 9:30 so we can avoid really long lines and then go the Quarter after.

This will be my second cruise, and I can't wait!

Which excursions did you do and do you have any suggestions? Our group (a really BIG group of 4 - ha!) is set on the horseback riding in MoBay.

How "formal" was formal night? Were there actually guys in tuxes? My guy is wearing a dark suit, and I know that is permitted, but I was just wondering on the true "formality". A friend of his told him that on some nights in the dining room there were people in shorts and they were allowed in with no problem. Did you see anyone in there at night in shorts? What about ladies in long dresses? I have a really cute black cocktail dress, just above the knee - will that do?

Thanks for your help,
THE CAJUN CRAB
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:02 AM
pumpkin24

Default Re: Re: Just back...Conquest

We will be sailing on the Conquest in August for our honeymoon. We would love to hear more about the cruise - specifically about:

The food - how was it in the formal dining room? How was the seafood?
Did you try other foods such as the sushi, pizza etc?
Did you try the restaurant (the Point?) if so how was it?
Was there a chocolate buffet, how was it?

The excursions - What would you recommend in Montego Bay?
Did anyone you know go to the ruins in Cozumel - how was the trip?

We'd love to hear all the details! We're sooooo excited as this is our first cruise.
Did your cabin get upgraded? We've booked a guaranteed 6A, but are hoping for a nice upgrade for our honeymoon (we booked in November - so hope the early booking will help in upgrades available).

Thanks for sharing!
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cajun, We didn't get there til 12 ish and the lines were long, it was not fun. Maybe if you get there that early you'll be fine. I don't know if you will then have time to goto the quarter? are you drivinng? I quess after you get your room key would be the best time to leave the port and goto the quarter.

The only good excursion that got rave reviews in MoBay was the horseback riding,as well as the river raft. Make sure you don't do an excursion were you have to travel far. 2 hours onn one of there buses barley airconditioned with 20 other people is not fun.

Formal night you will be fine in ashort cocktail dress and your guy will be great in a dark suit, actually even a dark polo shirt will do. Depends on you. Not alot of people got very fancy.NO, shorts in the dining room, but during lunch that was fine. Have a great time it is a great ship.

Janet

Carnival Conquest
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back...Conquest

Hey Pumpkin
Congrats on getting married. To answer your questions ... No, we did not try the point restaurant . The food on the ship was fine the desserts really stood out, the rest was okay either in the restaurant or buffet area's . Pizza was okay and tasted really good when you got back from an excursion were they promised lunch and then it was unediable. I don't eat sushi so I don't know if it was good or not I can tell you that some of the other fish I had was good but tasted a little fishy. Most people would gather around the sushi bar before dinner have a drink, and a little sushi.

Yes, there was a chocolate buffetit was on the last day at sea during the afternoon, I was not impressed. There were some chocolate cakes and ice cream shakes, but it didn't seem as thought they cared much about presenting it???

Mobay excursion was not great , I won't get into it but other's loved the Horseback riding and the Lazy river raft.

Cozumel we went to chanukanab bay park and had a great time, a bit crowded but I was traveling during a peek time.

Grand Cayman was beatiful..Please do more than shop there, prices arent really good . Spend time snorkeling or on the beaches.You can roam the island with out being bothered one bit.
YES , we did get a cabin upgrade we had a Guarented inside room and were upgraded to A main aft cabin it was a great room.

Just keep reminding everyone that it is your honeymoon and you will be treated very well. I'am just a bit worried that you are traveling to the carribean in November, it is hurricane season, you may miss Grand Cayman because they have to tender there and the water may be to ruff??? Have a great time it is a wonderful ship/

Don't miss the piano player in the blues club at night he sings all sorts of music and has the club rocking at the end of the night. The best entertainment on the ship. He trys to play something for everyone....Zepplin to sinatra to Buffett. Don't miss it.

Janet

Carnival Conquest
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:15 AM
pumpkin24

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Just back...Conquest

Thanks for the feedback Janet - we're actually going in August for the honeymoon so I hope we'll have good weather as I believe we should be ahead of the stormy season.

Good tip about the piano bar - I love piano music and that sounds like it'll be a good spot to hang out and enjoy the music.

We're really looking forward to Grand Cayman and doing some snorkeling there, I've heard only good things about this port. Any recommendations about where to snorkel? Did you book all your excursions with Carnival or go privately?
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Passenger

Hi. We are going on the Conquest May 30th. What time did you get to get off the ship? WE havw an early flight I may have to change. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Suzi
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:04 PM
ready2go

I agree with Janet the most fun we had on the boat was in the sing-a-long piano bar. We went there 4 of the nights and closed it 2. Another person on our cruise said that their room was right above it and they could hear the singing all night.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

Hey, I have a question.....did you notice if one of the maitre'd s was Riccardo? We believe he was transferred to Conquest but we're not sure if he is on vacation or not.
I'd appreciate it a lot if you could enlighten me.

Old April 14th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Cajuncrab

Hey Pumpkin!

Congratulations to you! Not to put a damper in your plans - but just be aware, hurricane season is actually June 1st through November. I hope you have wonderful weather, which you should because lately the weather hasn't gotten too bad until October / November. However, try to purchase cruise insurance because of the time of year.

I am leaving a few weeks and we are pretty set on the horseback riding in Mobay. If you'd like, you can check out the website - www.chukkablue.com they have good info and it seems like it would lots of fun. The horses actually swim into the ocean with you on thier backs. Of course that's if you like horseback riding. Grand Cayman, I have heard, is one of the most beautiful places in the world to go snorkeling. I can't wait to go there - I LOVE the water and I love snorkeling. I have also heard that the Stingrays are really a good experience.

I have been to Cozumel and while I was there I went on the FURY Catamaran. We got off the ship and got right on the cat and took off to go snorkeling. Everything was provided. We had a nice boat ride and then were in the water for probably 30-45 mins. Then we had a really nice ride to a beautiful beach (throughout that ride we had all the free beer and margaritas we could handle) where the drinks continued. We had lunch (for an extra 7 or 9 dollars) and it was really good too. We took out an ocean kayak (no extra charge for playing w/ beach toys) but we really had our options - we could just lay on the beach or swim, or play beach volleyball...it was great. We got back to the ship about 1, but it wasn't leaving until 4. We took advantage of the extra time and went to a bar (by cab) you may have heard of - CARLOS & CHARLIES. THAT was a REALLY good time - I highly recommend it!

Good luck to you and happy cruisin'.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:16 AM
pumpkin24

Thank you Cajuncrab for your suggestions. It's always good to hear from someone who knows more than me!!! haha

We're looking forward to the cruise - I'll talk to my fiance about the horseback ride. He probably would love it as he grew up taking riding lessons. I, myself, however, have never been on a horse ( not including the pony rides as a kid). It would be an amazing experience!
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Suzi, we were off the ship by 9:30 by 10 we were checked in our hotel in the quarter ( we stayed an extra day) The airport is only 30 min away. what time is your flight?? Let Carnival know so you can get a V.I.P deparkation. Janet

Carnival Conquest
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Maitre d' I don't think was named riccardo??? Not that I would know , Our maitreD' never introduced himself or helped us in any way...Pretty much most of the employees aboard or ship were not very helpful, didn't really go out of there way....aside for the Piano player in the blues lounge...made us feel at home and comfortable. Janet

Carnival Conquest
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just back...Conquest

Pumpkin, Yes we booked our own excursion. We went with Red Sail Sports.. they are located in the Hyatt along West Bay rd ( 7 mile beach) . We took the bus from georgetown ( it's back towards library, the bus stop, Take the west bay route $5.oo US for 2 people.) We tooka Catamaran Tour to StingRay City and then another spot for snorkeling. Had Lunch..It was VERY good. I've never had any bad food on Grand Cayman and I've spent plenty of time there. The tour was 80.00 per person. A little more than some of the other's offered when you get off the boat...but it was very nice. Janet

Carnival Conquest
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
First Mate

Pumpkin, my wife and I will be sailing on the Conquest in August as well. What date are you sailing? We are sailing on 8/22.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:03 PM
ready2go

The Maitre'd was Riccardo....I never saw him either but every night he would said his name and tell everyone "You look marvelous....simply marvelous"
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
pumpkin24

Imirish - we'll be sailing earlier in the month the 8th of Aug.