Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Default Need some answers!

My brother was on the Carnival Conquest in January leaving from New Orleans leaving Jan. 11th and we received word that he had died on the ship but was not contacted by the ship instead was contacted by a friend of a friend on this ship with him. We as a family feel we should have been contacted by the ship and to this day......3 months later have never received a call from the ship to tell us what really happened. Wondering if anyone else out there has ever encountered this same problem. An immediate family member was listed as a contact for emergency but was never contacted. Please respond if anyone has ever had this kind of experience. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Need some answers!

First of all my condolences to you and your family.

I haven't had anything like this happen to me but if I were you I would be looking for answers--through a lawyer if necessary.

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM
First Mate

You don't say whether or not you've tried to contact Carnival and get some answers.
Did the friend of a friend offer to contact you? You have all sorts of questions that need answers.
Yes, I agree....they should have contacted you - especially the person listed for emergencies. Hopefully, you will get some answers.
First I'd check with Carnival, the ship's Captain and the ship's doctor....and go from there.

Please accept my sincere sympathy in the loss of your brother.

Edited to add: You also might want to post on the various cruise boards asking if anyone was on that particular cruise and if they heard or know anything.

Post Edited (04-13-04 20:51)
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Need some answers!

Thank you for your sympathy....We did try and contact Carnival Conquest and of course had to go through all sorts of stuff but then finally they did contact my other sister and said that it was a massive heart attack is all they would say but then we just finally got the death certificate back and there is nothing mentioned of a heartattack. It was asphyxication for the cause of death. The friend that was with him said that they were in the disco bar and that they let out a dry ice smoke and that he grabbed for his throat and said he couldn't talk and they left the bar and he collapsed into unconsciousness. Makes me wonder what was in this smoke that they released on the disco floor was and if maybe he had a reaction to that. Where would I go to post on various cruise boards to post a message to see if anyone else was on that ship with him or knew anything. Thank you for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Admiral

There sahould have been an autopsy done when his remains were returned to his home and before going to the funeral home. There is no way I or anyone else can answer this. You will have to contact Carnival Corp in Miami and get information from them. If you were listed as the person to notify in case of emergency they you whould have been contacted by them. As for the smoke from dry ice, it is non-toxic and I have never heard of anyone having a reaction to it. That is why it is so commonly used. Sorry for you loss.
Jim