Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Passenger

Default BONINE for SEA SICKNESS????

Hi There!

I'll be sailing soon and I need your help!

Has anyone used Bonine for sea sickness and found it to be effective?

If so, what is the correct dosage and the best time to take it?

Thanks alot....I.ll be waiting anxiously to hear from you.

SAGE
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Mary bradley

Default Re: BONINE for SEA SICKNESS????

Instead, go to your local drug store and ask for Sea Bands-they are wrist bands that you wear the entire cruise and it takes care of your seasickness. No pills. I use them and they work Great!
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Passenger

I used it during our cruise in Jan. I often get motion sickness and was very nervous about it ruining the cruise. However, I discovered that if I took 1 Bonine tablet when I got up each morning I was fine. I did not have a problem for the entire trip. We did have a couple rough days at sea...still no problems.

Elation
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Sage -
Go to motionsicknessstore.com. They sell Bonine and offer advice on when, how often to take it. They also have some other medications. I have always been advised to take Bonine or Dramamine as well as Ginsing tablets. The good thing about Bonine is that it comes in chewable tablets, so you dont need to have water or something to swallow it and it also apparently gets into your system faster.
I would certainly buy it before you get on the ship as I am sure they raise the prices tremendously once you are onboard.
Hope it works for you!

~Carey

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've used the patch behind the ear before, but was told NEVER to drink alcohol with it....(which just won't work for me on a cruise!)

Can you drink alcohol with the wrist bands and/or Bonine with no problems?

Valor Westside!
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:44 AM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: BONINE for SEA SICKNESS????

If you get motion sickness from a plane or car then get the patch from your doctor.
We had people with us who drank taking all of the sea sickness pill and wrist bands.
I would bring all of them if I had real motion sickness. The infirmary usually has a basket with all the sea sickness pills you want free. I think the Bonnine (spel) you have to start ahead of the trip to make it work. In other words if you get sick and take it for the first time it might not work. These don't take up much room and I'd rather be prepared than not.
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to FlawedAngel

I have severe motion sickness and will probably get the wristbands and bonine, but I do plan on drinking...does anyone know if the wristbands work well? should i use both?
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I used the wrist bands and didn't feel they worked at all. All I had was sore wrists. I used Dramamine and even the less drowsy formula still made me a little sleepy, but it claims that 1 tablet a day works for 24 hours. So I took it at night before bed and had no problems with being sleepy, and no seasickness during the day. Before that, I would take it in the morning at breakfast and just rest for a little bit. Bonine, Dramamine are both the same thing.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old April 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Melisa, I will probably not try the wrist bands then...I will just stick the meds and take it before I leave......if I don't stop it before it starts, I will be miserable!
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:40 PM
bjkeen

I don't board the ship without taking some. You aren't suppose to drink and take it.
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Admiral

I drank with Bonine and didn't have a problem. I *can't* say I wasn't affected a little, but it was more like a little "buzz" - certainly not incapacitating.

Lots of folks swear by sea bands, but I wouldn't count on them 100%. They work for some, but not for others. Bonine will work and hopefully not make you drowsy.

I suppose if you *know* you are prone to motion sickness you might want to start dosing yourself before sailing, but I decided to wait and see. I didn't feel sick AT ALL, even though I did feel motion. I only took the Bonine when the seas got to 20 feet and then not because I felt "sick", but just a little lightheaded.

Good luck!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:07 AM
Joe K

We were on the Triumph Feb 28th sailing and had seas that according to the crawler above the map we 17 ft. There were folks horking all over and various shades of green. Jan and I had Bonine and although we both have had episodes of motion sickness in the past we went through this entire trip ship shape-as it were.
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

I notice the ship's movement as soon as we get underway. I never get nauseaus just kinda dizzy. The Dramamine/Bonine takes care of it right away.

I'm not a big drinker, but I did have 1 or 2 every evening and was not bothered by it interacting with the meds. But, as I stated previously, I took the pills either at night before bed and hadn't had a drink in a few hours, or first thing in the morning.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM
Happy Camper

Bonine was what the pursers desk used to give out for free - now they give out Dramamine which does nothing for me. It took me a while to find out what those pick pills were that used to work so well - it was Bonine and it has saved me on a few cruises during hurricane season and the hurricanes that seem to always plague our ships we sail on! It works great for me and it is over the counter - I buy mine at Walmart for about $2 or $3. Debbie
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Debbie,

Do you take the pills and not the chewables? Glad to know I can get them at Wal-mart!!
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:25 PM
bjkeen

I take the chewables and I get them at Wal-Mart.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM
SuzieQuzie

Bonine for us too. We have it in car, purse and home. Kids used to get car sick lots. We found the bonine chewable worked best for all of us. Very cheap at Wal-mart. Target never has it. Some other name drugstores don't either. Take several boxes in case. 8 tabs to box, I believe. We have sailed for several years now with the kids and just some times feel little dizzy first day then usually don't have anymore problems. Body adjusts. It works quick because chewable. I would wait to see if any trouble, but if have cruised before and did have trouble, would take 1 day as preventative.

We tried wrist bands on kids for car sickness when younger, didn't work.
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:45 AM
BuffettBarbie

Whatever you decide to take, continue taking them a few days after your cruise ends. I do not suffer motion sickness, and was fine during even the choppy parts of our cruise. (The waves just lulled me to sleep.) BUT, when we returned, I was on land about 5 hours when I was hit with motion sickness. HUH?! Apparently, I still had my "sea legs", so everything spinned and I became very nauseous. It took a few days to return to normal, and I've read that this happens to people. Have a great cruise, and take your pills!
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Catrin

I have lived on Bonine for my last two cruises....

I take one first thing in the morning.. every day.. even Port Days.....
Since taking them.. luckily I have not gotten seasick. Our first cruise, I took Dramamine and was sick and sleepy all week.

For me.. Bonine is a lifesaver.
Cathy