Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Mikey Sr.

Default Re: illegal substaces?

diverdiver what ship did this take place on? The same thing happened when my wife and I traveled on the grand princess. The cleaning staff will find your drugs when they clean your room. They have the right to check your room when it is being cleaned. In 1998 we saw people from two cabins near us on the ecstacy being taken off in handcuffs by DEA agents. Their van pulled up at the dock in key west and all day the dogs went throught every cabin sniffing for drugs. One agent told me they had a very busy day. Only dopes by dope.
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
AshleyP

Just thought I would add one more "don't do it!" in case the original poster is having any second thoughts!!
Marijuana is called a gateway drug because in a lot of cases, it does lead to the use of harder drugs. (Notice I did not say it always does!) However, the tendency to one illegal act/substance, the contacts and atmosphere that accompany any drug use put any user at an increased risk to try a "harder" drug.

The bottom line is that that it is illegal. I don't see how anyone with a rational thought process could defend the use of an illegal substance because "it is natural," "not that bad" or only banned because "it can't be taxed." I will never understand how anyone can risk family relationships, jobs, jail time, etc. to use a drug.
Old April 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Mikey Sr.

Ashley thanks for your words. That is what I meant to say. The same people that sell pot on the street are the same ones which will sell you a stronger drug. Young kids don't know what can happen to them if they continue to use pot. Parents who see pot as not a problem will comunicate this to their kids. How are kids supposed to see the difference between one illegal drug and another? Before parents know what is going on, their little billy or mary is hooked on crack. Not true? How do you think drug dealers operate! Pot is the gateway to coke, crack and ecstacy. They will push drugs on YOUR KIDS. It's a ugly business and buying pot only helps their cause.
Old April 25th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Mikey Sr.

Gary the information that I cut and pasted here is from a FEDERAL GOVERMENT ONLINE INFORMATION SITE. Just look at the site address at the bottom of the post. Sorry I don't believe your information. It seems to be full of holes.
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Has anyone else noticed that Tia hasn't had any comments since the 8th post on this thread.

Right or wrong, I wouldn't chance it and potentially ruin my vacation.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old April 26th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Maybe she & her "friend" got busted here in the good ol' US of A....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: illegal substaces?

Two of the highlights we enjoy while cruising are:

1. Sitting on the balcony watching the people run to the ships well after the boarding time has passed, lugging their shopping bags and hollering, "Wait for us!"

2. Sitting on the balcony watching the people in handcuffs being taken away from the ships by the local constabulary.

Sometimes, if we're very lucky, we get to see the people in example #1 become the people in example #2.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
glrounds

Default Re: Re: illegal substaces?

MIkey,

Please point out some of the holes . . . .

Please reread my post again first, however.

Gary
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
pat Sandman

Jamaica the land of ganja and beautiful beaches. The latest scam is that a local rasta all cool an dem ting will try to sell you some weed mon. You buy and pay the man his cash.He gives you your goods.He then makes a scene yelling "officer oficer" that man is holding ganja. The officer arrives locates the goods and arrests you on the spot. You are now out the money the pot and in for some jail time. Just because it grows outside the police station doesn't make it legal. Tourists are prime targets for this kind of sting. The seller gets a kick back from the policeman. Not a good idea.
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:58 AM
e dog

Bringing drugs onboard is not advised. But I'm tired to people saying that your life is screwed up and that drugs are all bad all the time. People use drugs recreationally and have a great time doing it and are in control. No one says anything about all the fat people eating and eating and eating on these ships. Food kills alot more poeple in the long run then drugs when you look at cancers and other health related illnesses arising from poor eating.

You can take the risk of bring drugs onboard but be smart about it. Don't keep it in your bags where the dogs will smell it. Keep it up and away from the dogs. Don't smoke your weed where it will bother others. Find a quite place on the ship where no one is and enjoy it there. There is a ton of places where no one is outside at nighttime.
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey I finally got to the bottom of the page to post my message.

Pot is everywhere on the ship brought on by passengers and cruise employees . For those of you who have not tried and never will how do you know what it smells like? You obviously have had some yourself or got the second hand to turn those law breaking fellow cruise passengers in to security.

Tia-DON'T BRING THE STUFF WITH YOU! There will be plenty to go around that other passengers have brought on. When you smell it-scope them out, follow then to the bar, buy them a round of drinks, and then your in. You will probably meet some reallly nice down to earth people that are having a better time than anyone else. All the others will be on sniff patrol. To all the tattle tellers-you should get a life.

Have fun and to each his own.

melody
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Passenger

No offense but anyone that does that stuff is a real idiot and obviously has little to no brain cells left. And you wonder why your offsprings have medical issues!!
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Passenger

I would agree with you and have personal proof, that is how my cousin started, a little pot then it moved on to the stronger stuff, cocaine, Herion etc. At 25 he was found in a Hotel room along with a friend, dead of a drug overdose. He refused to stop because as he put it "it made him feel good". Now he is dead.
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Wow,

I check the boards before bed last night, and sleep late this morning, and look what I missed. You guys have debated more than congress, and one of the last things I read last night, was the post about Newbie's posting. Many of the names on this post, I have never heard of. But I do smell a troll.

This whole thing is a no brainer. It is illegal. If you choose to break the law, your in trouble. Now who's cruising next?

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey e-dog

Well if we go by your standards, we will not be able to:

1) Drink onboard because the mixed drinks can get us drunk and we can fall overboard and kill ourselves.

2) We won't be able to swim because we might hit our head and drown

3) We won't be able to walk on the track because the wind migh get gusty and blowus overboard

4) We won't be able to gamble because we might loose our life savings and jump overboard

6) We can not drive (or fly) to the pier because we may have an accident and die

Oh by the way, I am one of those fat people you talk about, but I am a healthy person, no medical problems, and I don't eat that much, but I do try everything I can on a cruise because it may be the only time I get a chance to have something like that.

Bottom line, Drugs are dangerous and against the law. Get caught and take your chances with whatevery country you happen to be charged in. Like the CD on my last cruise said, don't be stupid, get your friend help and get their life on the right track. The customs officials will find it and you will be charged. (I added the your friend part).

Good luck and have a safe cruise.
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:45 PM
H and A

Funny to read some of the responses, from pro to con, from off topic about breast feeding to regular smoking (heaven forbid someone see a breast feeding baby, the horror of the human body, must learn that the body is shameful).

Anyhow I will put my 2 cents in. We have been on several European cruises and have witnessed some people smoking but have only seen it once on a cruise from the U.S. although im sure it happens on every cruise. We are not smokers and never have been but arenít uptight about it either as long as it isnít near us. I personally wouldnít take ANY chance departing or returning to a U.S. port. Have you been through an airport or a port on entry since Sept 11? Security is tight and itís not worth the risk with anything illegal or that might break the rules. I was detained for quite some time on a flight back from china for some unapproved food.

If stopping in Mexico/Jamaica Iím sure an inventive person could figure something out that wouldnít include the ship. Anyone that has spent time in Jamaica or Mexico realizes these countries arenít as strict and certain things are downright common.
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:40 AM
bjkeen

I don't want to be part of the debate. Here is an answer to your question. Your carry on is checked at embarkation, looked inside and put through an xray machine. This is what I have been told by the Cruise Director. Before embarking and disembarkation the drug dogs are checking luggage. If they find luggage with drugs in them the dog will urinate on the luggage. This signifies to the drug enforcement agent to pull that piece of luggage aside. I have watched from my balcony at disembarkation and it is amazing because the dog checks every can (container with luggage) for illegal substances. If you disembark and your luggage is sitting aside from everyone elses, you are in big trouble. The authorities will meet you at disembarkation and take you away. If you think you will get around this by carrying your luggage off the ship, think again. The drug dog comes right up to you and sniffs your luggage.
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
JH

Never have seen a dog sniff out luggage in Long Beach prior to embarking and debarking. We knew a few friends who chose to partake in a little bud, brought it right on board in their checked luggage and their luggage got delivered promptly to their room all intact. They knew however to not return home with anything left.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Passenger

We witnessed a young lady getting busted in Mobile. It was a bit ironic because she had raised such a stink about having to wait in lines. DEA had everything she had in her purse and luggage spread over the floor and were examining it piece by piece as she stood there crying her eyes out. Definitely NOT worth it. Aside from that, why would you buy anything that you would smoke or take in a foreign country where even the water is not always safe? Also, why would you ask these questions on a public forum where your email address is available for ALL (fellow cruisers, mom, dad, brother, sisters, coworkers, DEA agents, etc.) to read? Sorry..... it's pathetically sad. There are far too many other things to do on your cruise that don't require drugs or even alcohol for that matter.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I wasn't going ot get in on this, but......

I am not a smoker, of anything, but you all are saying "I don't want to smell it" What the heck is the difference between smelling cig. smoke and pot smoke? Same difference to me. I don't want to smell either, but I do have to smell cig smoke on the ship, or when I am on my balcony.

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ALB

Re: illegal sustances-----did you bang your head this morning????? ALB
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Isn't it ironic that the original poster, Tia, posted this question with a topic of "illegal substaces?"

That's right all you doobie brothers, toke up as it just might help you in your daily life with some of life's difficult tasks. You know, really hard things like spelling the word substances correctly.

Having said that, here's my take on the question. Pot is illegal, period!! Now if you wish to change the laws in the United States regarding this question, please knock your socks off. However, the place to start this bit of activisim that our democracy allows is NOT while you are on a cruise ship with the vacationing public.

I guess that I'm just a pragmatist at heart...

Post Edited (08-10-05 15:13)

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Don't be dum and get caught with drugs!
The drug sniffing dogs are real I saw them myself at Jaxport when we were waiting to get off the ship in June.
The authority had a dog on a leash and took it right in the terminal to check the luggage before we got off.
You get caught, your in big trouble...................

Celebration-June 05
Glory-May 13-06
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
jessalyn

Roscoe,

You spelt activism wrong so you shouldnt be making fun of anyone for making a typo. I have a degree in substance abuse counseling and research (Ph D), and it is proven that most people do not go on to more dangerous drugs after using marijuana. I also agree that alcohol causes more problems in society.

BUT, despite the fact that I disagree with the government and many laws they make, you can get busted and I would not risk it. What a vacation ruiner if you did, ya know?!

Anyways, I did not realize that Jamaica had such harsh marijuana laws. Isn't it a huge, lucrative crop there? I went to Jamaica and people were smoking everywhere! Can someone tell me more information on this?
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off a cruise in Vancouver.. But one couple got off before us with four big men in dark uniforms at their side. The couple were in handcuffs.. They were in a cabin about two doors down from my cabin.. We had the same cabin steward so after they left I asked the steward what that was all about.. He said that they had pot in their room and the cruise line brought a dog on board while they were on shore and out of their room in San Fransico.. I asked why they were not arrested in San Fransico and he said that the charge would only be possession of a substance in San Fransico, but if they were arrested in Vancouver the charge would be the smuggling of drugs across a boarder in to another country.. He said the smuggling charge had a manatory jail time and the possession charge maybe did not.. So a guess jail time gets worse if there is a smuggling charge than if it is just a possession charge.. Anyway I found it to be very interesting.. I hope they had a nice time on their cruise be for they got arrested..OM
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Paul Tracy

I donít condone using drugs and am not a user myself and think people that rely on ANY mood altering substance (alcohol included) just to have a good time are missing something in their lives. It would be stupid to bring it through a U.S. port.

But I canít help but laugh at a few of the misconceptions on here. I think some people are grossly misinformed about the consequences of getting caught with small amounts of pot for personal use. Yes it would be a pain and cause trouble in most cases but going away to jail "for a long time" is comical.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Well, Paul, maybe it's comical and not very probable that someone would go away "for a long time", but I wouldn't risk it in international waters, your rights go downhill quick in a foreign country!

But good luck to anyone who is WILLING to take the risk!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:09 AM
anonomys

every one here is telling you not to do it b/c they prob dont smoke but if u were talking to potheads they'd be like do it!!
it depends who you ask......... i would say someone with experience(not me)
i was thinking about it but didnt do it

but on my last cruise there were people smoking n they didnt get in trouble or arrested

my suggestion is think about the risk your taking......... you probably have to pass security, customs, and security again....... twice

if you think its worth it go head
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Beginner

some people get away with it,and some dont,in jamaica theyll sell you pot,then turn you in to police for reward!!!the lifeguard was trying to sell pot to everyone in my group 2 years ago at margarittaville in jamica,we were on the zaandam,conquest was in port at the same time.
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This should be a no brainer. This is one of those times, when you look back and say, "Man, why did I do that." Even a Newbie knows that you will spend the week going thru security after security, you've heard people talk about smokers in the other rooms, what do you think they would do to you if they smelled it? I have never been to Jamaica, but from the discription, it sounds like a set up, so why willingly fall into it.
Don't mess up a trip you have been looking forward to for months, by doing something, that so many have warned you against.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link