Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Big Red Boat

What kind of ship was the BRB?
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
venice

Default Re: Big Red Boat

well, back before the Berlin Wall was torn down in 1989, The Russian KGB operated a cruise line out of the Red Sea and it's flagship was named "the big red boat" (smile)

I think it was operated by now defunct Premier Cruise Lines and they had some tie in with Disney where you could do a 7 day combination of park and cruise (3 days of one, 4 days of another or in reverse days order)

I suspect when Disney announced they were going into the cruise business that contributed to Premier's demise because I think the big read boat was old

If I am wrong about this I apologize and I'm sure someone will give us both the correct information
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Before she was BRB, she was named Oceanic. I saw her during her refit in Port Canaveral 18 years ago, before her name change. When Premier collasped, she was picked by Pullmantur of Spain. Pullmantur restored her name to Oceanic. It appears she makes regular runs to various ports in the Med, with occasional trips to the Canary Islands.

If you do a web search on Oceanic postcards, one of the returns will bring you her full pictorial history. A search on Pullmantur, will take you to several pages in several languages about her current itinerary.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:23 PM
First Mate

I often wondered why they folded. The first cruise commercials I ever saw were for the BRB. Two years ago on my first cruise, I saw the BRB II docked in Freeport. It was still there last month so I guess it is just scrap now.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn

I loved the Big Red Boat (Oceanic) I went on that ship in 1986 for my honeymoon.
It was our first cruise. At that time it was like the Disney cruise all the characters were on board. After Disney started there own cruise line they had different characters on board like Bugs Bunny and friends. I quess the ship got old and out dated .
I look at old pictures and I can't belive how small it was compared to todays mega ships.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:10 PM
jaime

I sailed on the Disney Magic ithe inaugrual year. We pooled up to the Disney Magic and right next to the Magic was the Big Red Boat. It was like pulling up to an old rusted tub next to the Magic!!!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to disneylynn
Default Re: Re: Big Red Boat

I been on the Magic and the wonder LOVED them!!!!!!!!!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I sailed the Big Red Boat on my honeymoon in 1995. It was our very first cruise and the service was stupendous! All the staff went out of their way to make our cruise enjoyable. We were even invited to a special cocktail social for past cruisers and honeymooners.

Our cabin steward was outstanding! We joked that he lived under our bed, because every time we left the room and returned (even if was only for a little while), our room would be neat and tidy, with fresh ice in the ice bucket, our shoes lined up neatly, and clothes folded.

We had a really large cabin with an obstructed outside view. It looked like a hotel room, with a bath and a half (one had a bidae [sp?]), and separate living and sleeping areas that could be closed off by a curtain between the two.

As I said, it was our first cruise, so we thought the ship was HUGE... until it pulled up in port alongside the other cruise ships! Then, it looked like the Big Red Tugboat! Really miss the BRB, though! Lots of great memories.

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:23 PM
First Mate

My first cruise was on the Premier Royale and I thought I was on the QMII. It was a noisey ship and my cabin was in the bowels of the ship but I loved it. Next I went on the Oceanic which seemed enormous.

One thing I remember about the Big Red Boat is that they had great food.

It was my introduction into cruising when there was no question that you dress up at night.

I loved it.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Big Red Boat

I guess in the waning years, the folks at Big Red Boat got together with the folks at Dolphin and the Seawind Crown (sailed weekly from Aruba for years) and tried to put together a cruiseline out of three independent lines. As I recall they even picked up one of Holland Americas' ships as she was retiring . I never tried them, but I guess you got a decent cruise even if the ships were a bit old. Some folks found that to be part of the charm. I'm also guessing that Premiere would have had problems upgrading these older ships for newer SOLAS requirements. They simply could not compete with the discounted pricing and superior products of the newer generations of ships.Combined with losing the Disney tie in, they exited the scene altogether a few years back.
Old April 24th, 2004, 07:57 PM
LaxAttack19

We sailed on the Oceanic ( Big Red Boat) on our honeymoon in 1984. It was an all Italian crew at the time. Good food, but the waiters were all young, and tried to serve while winking at the single girls; pasta usually ended up next to your plate instead of in it. I have to laugh when I hear people on modern ships complain of the ship "rocking".
The Oceanic was a ship that could rock! Walking down the halls in a line was funny as the whole line would stagger to the right, then to the left.