Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Passenger

Default Gaining weight

I have lost 30 pounds since Jan. and still trying to lose, so I can look decent in a swimsuit. I am really concerned that I am going to gain weight while cruising. I do plan to work out daily. But I was wondering if they do have low cal, low fat, healthy meals, that don't taste low cal or low fat. Tell me your experience............

Thank you!

Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Gaining weight

Actually, I usually lose weight on a cruise. Granted, the food is plentiful. But so is the exercise. And it can be as easy as choosing to walk up/down stairs rather than using an elevator.

Carnival is "rolling out" a low carb diet. Since it's brand new, I can't tell you how it tastes.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi, Yes they do have low fat and healthy choices. They are beginning a low carb menu too very soon. I am on Atkins and always eat low carb. I find low carb choices to be very good. Have a great time and enjoy every minute of your cruise.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to leahmichele

The key words are "portion control". Just because the food is there doesn't mean that you are contractually obligated to eat it. You can always request a smaller portion of the higher fat entrees. I know when I go on a vacation I don't want to eat the same food that I always eat, so the key for me is moderation. I lost 52lbs in 2003 and have kept it off for a year. One tip that works for me is to divide the entree in half right off the bat and ask the waiter to remove the portion I'm not going to eat. That way I won't be tempted. I tend to eat because I can and then I end up being miserable afterward. Also, it takes 20 minutes for your brain to tell your stomach its full. Slow down and you'll naturally eat less. I think its great that Carnival is trying to cater to dieters, but remember, Low Carb does not necessarily mean low cal or low fat. If you're not on the atkins/zone/south beach plan look at the calorie and fat content before you order. You obviously have had a lot of success on your current weight loss plan. Know your body and know your limits. Congratulations on 30lbs!!!

Leahmichele
WW Leader

Sensation
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:12 AM
maho

I lost 20 pound prior to my 3/28 cruise
on the cruise I gained 6 pounds and I ate
and drank everything I wanted to
the 6 pounds were gone by saturday the week after I got back
and I really didn't have to work that hard to get rid of it
the hardest thing to do now is not have desert after every meal
I crave that sugar
Don't worry about the weight
go and have fun you can always get back on track once you
get back
enjoy being waited on for a change

happy sailing
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to neonturtle
Default Re: Re: Gaining weight

I agree! Go and have fun. Exercise while your there and eat what you want (within reason of course!). They do have the Nautica Spa section on the menus which is the healthy alternative. STAY AWAY FROM THE YUMMY FROZEN YOGURT MACHINE! Once you start you can not stop. Last cruise I had like 5 a day! Just because it is frozen yogurt does NOT mean it is has no sugar!!

Have FUN!

Michele

Carnival Conquest
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:53 AM
patnshan

We each lost 40 lbs. prior to going on our recent cruise. On the cruise, we basically ate whatever we wanted, keeping in mind that some low fat choices would be a good idea. I ate a lot of fish instead of beef, and my wife ate less pizza (she doesn't like fish). We took the fat free frozen yogurt while on the lido deck, instead of chocolate layer cakes and such, most of the time. We did cheat quite often, however.
Our room was on deck 4, and we never took the elevator. I would say we walked up and down 9 or 10 flights at least 4 times each day. I think this truly helped. I gained 4 pounds, and she gained two. I asume that this will come off in a week or two, following our old routines again. Don't sweat it! I would recommend taking the stairs if you can, as this really helps. Good luck.
Pat
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Pela

My husband and I also lost a lot of weight since January (on the low carb/LOW FAT South Beach diet) and we were concerned about gaining on the cruise. My husband completely went off the diet and ate everything he wanted and gained only 4 pounds. I stuck to the diet almost the whole week (limited bread, potatoes, rice, and sugar, but ate plenty of everything else) and gained nothing. I ate the sugar free dessert after dinner every night, and even cheated and had a few soft serve ice cream cones throughout the week.

I think all of the walking on the ship helps, especially if you take the stairs as much as possible. Good luck and have a great time! (Even if you do gain a few pounds, you'll lose it later - just have fun).

Pela
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Passenger

I gained on my cruise-ate and drank anything and everything I wanted. We did take the stairs all the time. Never did make it to the gym but, the weight was gone within a week. Fast on fast off. I had just lost 85 pounds and was nervous about gaining but did not want to diet while on vacation. It all worked out just fine and I am happy to say that I have kept the 85 pounds off for over two years now. You CAN do it. Good luck!

Happy Cruizin'
Linda