Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:10 AM
Lidia

Default Port excursions at Cozumel & Grand Cayman

Hello Fellow Travelers

We will be sailing on Sensation on 8/2/04 from Tampa, FL. with my sister and 3 16 year olds. My daughter is turning 16 and this is her “party”. Looking for tips about land tours at the ports of call. I hear we can book the same trips offered by the cruise lines for half the cost. Anyone with info or anyone sailing with us willing to offer information?
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Port excursions at Cozumel & Grand Cayman

You booked a great cruise! In GC, the favorite by a landslide is Stingray City. In Cozumel, my favorite is Chankanaab Park but Ruins at Tulum were unforgettable just very long. I think 16 year olds would prefer the park. No tour needed for Chankanaab just hop a taxi at the pier, $10 per taxi load, and about a ten minute ride. Park admission $12pp. I know you can book Stingray City w/o going through Carnival, but in the event of a problem, the ship will not wait.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We booked Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman through Soto's Cruises. $24/pp includes sting ray city and two snorkel sites.

Darcy
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Lidia

Default Re: Re: Port excursions at Cozumel & Grand Cayman

Is Chankanaab Park a water park or is there more to it?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Sting ray tour with Sotoscruises.com at 24 per person, Park royal dolphin swim 119.00, Paradise beach free entry, free water toys-kayaks,rock climbing, trampoline, etc... I will try Paradise beach this time to Cozumel. The park was great though for the dolphins.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:22 PM
Yeoman

Chankanaab Park is a just a real nice place to visit and spend the day. We've been there and will probably go back again this yr. Great snorkeling, watch and/or play with the dolphins, wonderful places to walk around, great food, replica of mayan home. Just a great place. Someone put some pictures in the photo gallery. It's under Cozumel/Progresso. Great pics. to give you an idea of what it's like.

Have fun!!
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:46 AM
chefkel22

Lidia:

Just returned from Sensation - had an awesome time. Your 16 yr olds will love it.

We did Stingray City tour in GC and booked with a private company (Nativeway). And yes, the boat will not wait if something happens and they are late. However, this time we were late (2hrs) getting into GC due to government clearance and we had to be tendered in. Our company was right there waiting for us. We did our adventure and were back to the pier in time.

After talking with other cruisers later, we found out that the tours through the cruise line ran into trouble (the boat ran out of gas, etc.) and the cruise ship was delayed in leaving anyways.

Enjoy and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. You will have a great time.
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
barb glovac

I have a 16 year old daughter who said that this was the best vacation she had ever been on! We swam with the dolphins in Cozumel (booked on our own thru Dolphin Discovery), and booked a Stingray excursion thru the boat for GC. For our own piece of mind, I was glad we booked the Stingray exc. thru the boat. Due to rough seas, they had to tender us into a different port, and yes some of the longer excurssions were cancelled, but we had the piece of mind that the boat would wait for us if we were late. We had an awesome time! My daughter enjoyed the teen night club "Spirals" especially.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yeoman

We did the Stingray Tour in GC,we used Captain Marvin's, they also offer island tours and tours to "Hell". We took an early in the morning tour (0830) which was awesome, we were the first boat out there, the stingrays were plentiful, and our tour had only 16 people so we got plenty of individual attention from our 2 guides. We saw the other tours arrive with 150 people crowded on a section of the sandbar. By the way those that booked with the ship, missed out. There was an early afternoon storm and after a really wet ride, they returned to the ship without getting to see a stingray due to rough water. (I am sure they got refunded). Captain Marvins is 1 block from the pier, you can see it from the tender.They use nice,new mini vans to transport you to the boat, and give a mini tour of sites along the way. They depend on the crusie ships, and are very accomodating, you will not be charged if your ship does not make port, or if you must cancel due to weather.

Lesley
Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

don't miss stingray city in grand cayman. if you are a diver, dive it! soto's gave us containers of squid to feed the rays. you can touch them - they are like velvet underneath and sandpaper on top. we just sat on the bottom while they swam around our heads, faces, laps. it was so cool!