Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Passenger

Default birth certificate

Hi getting ready for my cruise and have a question...have all my paper work including birth certificates...My question is my wifes birth certificate is from California and is on microfilm has the state seal stamped on it (not raised) she says it will be fine...she says it is the only one she has used for the past 20 years.....anyone else use the microfilm and was there any problems.......thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: birth certificate

Don't understand...on microfim? Does she have the certified copy with the state stamp on it?
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Lara

I would check on this with the cruiseline. My impression is that this will not be good enough and that a raised seal is required. Better to be sure before you get to the
cruise.

Lara
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:29 AM
TexCroozer

My birth certificate from The State of Texas is not my original (but state certified copy) and it does not have a raised seal on it and it worked fine for my cruise last October and will be using it again 2 weeks from today.
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

If it doesn't have a raised seal, then it should have the state stamp on it.
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

of the 5 of us, one b.c. doesn't have a raised seal, but is the official b.c. we used it last summer, so i am planning to use it again this summer.
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Yeoman

Just make sure it has the state stamp on it, if it doesn't have the raised seal.
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Passenger

Mine is the same way, it's fine as long as there is a ink stamp on it. Which is noticble, normally like in Blue/purple ink.

Old April 26th, 2004, 10:16 AM
First Mate

As long as it fit within the below definition it does not matter what form it is in. The cruise lines know what forms are issued by the various states and will accept the official version.

An original birth certificate or (not hospital copy)
A state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the
Department of Health and Vital Statistics
Old April 26th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Beginner

My husband and I are both from California (LA County) and we looked into this also. I believe what you mean by microfilm is that they store it on microfilm and when it's printed out onto your birth certificate is is black with white lettering. That is the way ours are and it also has a stamped purple box showing it's a certifiied copy. Our cruise line and our TA both thought this would be okay. To make double sure my husband ended up calling the County Recorder's Office and found out it's not okay and we would have to get new ones. They told him the reason being, with copiers being as good as they are now anyone could make one look official. So we went ahead and got new ones. The new ones are totally different. They look more like an official document. They have a fancy blue design around the edges with red running through the center with 2 raised seals at the bottom and when you hold it up to the light it says Official Copy printed in the paper. We got our son a new one too (Ventura County) and his looks just the same but just the different county. If you ask me better safe than sorry and worth the $18. to get a new one. Hope this helps.
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Yeoman

Good information, CruisinBeagle! My original birth certificate is the old black and white photostat (military...shows my age, I guess), and would not have been accepted. That's why I've had a Passport for years.