Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Martin J.

Default 3 killed in Cabo from The Elation

Is Your Cruise Tour Excursion Safe?

In mid-July, seven people were injured and three killed when a glass-bottom boat capsized in the waters off Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Everyone had been a passenger aboard Carnivalís Elation. I feel a connection with this tragedy since I had been on a similar glass-bottom boat excursion in the same area while cruising aboard Princess Cruises' Sun Princess. Unlike the tourists on the doomed tour, fortunately, I had listened to well-heeded advice that anyone considering a shore excursion should heed.

3 Cruise Ship Passengers Drown near El Arco, off Cabo San Lucas, as Glass-Bottomed Boat Capsizes in Rough Water: Paulina Armijo, 54, of New Mexico; Elizabeth Steven, 64, of Alaska; and Dorothea Pahrman, 77, whosewhen it capsized shortly after 9 a.m. The Elation had left Los Angeles on July 8 for a week-long cruise in Mexican waters, the company said. Seven other Carnival passengers were injured in the accident, but none seriously, said Cabo San Lucas Red Cross official Moises Ruiz. Police were trying to determine whether the boat was overloaded. The boat's captain, Pedro Alazan, was detained by police Friday and remained in custody pending the investigation. Alazan told television reporters that all his passengers were wearing life jackets, but that many had not fastened the buckles and lost them in the water. But Ruiz said many of the passengers were never issued life vests. (AP via Yahoo) 7-14-01
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: 3 killed in Cabo from The Elation

Your point?
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:37 AM
mjohns2

Maybe you didnt read the post completely 3 people lost there lifes because a glass-bottom boat capsized in the waters off Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

The point is fastened you life jackets and be more aware of your surrounding. I'm sure whenever/if you get on a glass-bottom boat you'll think of this story.

The point is to make you aware.
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Yeoman

Although I feel very sorry for the people that lost their lives and those that were hurt. Its kind of ah "duh". This story came out on this board when it happened, one thing I don't recall is if this were a Carnival tour or weather they went on their own tour. But it makes no difference, safety is safety. Some people will not wear their life vest OR listen to safety talks before a cruise or a tour. Have you ever noticed people not paying attention during the life boat drills? If something did happen I would not feel sorry for them.

As far as thinking about this story, don't have to, I listen, watch, and learn not only on cruises and tours but also at home. Like seatbelts, like standing in water when changing a light bulb, like looking both ways before crossing the street. Its common sence or should be. In the end WE are all responsible for ourselves. Sooooooooo, whats the point.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Gary L Rounds

Default Re: Re: 3 killed in Cabo from The Elation

They were on their OWN TOUR but used a company (same boats, same crews) that Carnival used for their glass-bottomed boat tours. Less expensive.

The unique part of this incident (in my opinion) is that the relatives of the deceased tried to blame Carnival since the tour company was the same company Carnival used. Since they booked the tour on their own, Carnival had no liability for the incident.

Of course, any recovery (damages) from the tour company in Mexico is laughable.

Gary :-)
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Admiral

While it was basically6 the same company these boats and crews were NOT ones that CCL uses as they did not meet their specifications for safety and other factors. When you book on your own, you cannot tell if the operator is operating safely or not and are truely on your own. This is one of the reasons, (and a damn good one BTW), to use a cruiseline operated tour.
Jim