Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:42 AM
SuzieQuzie

Default TA says don't believe info about onboard credit ... True or

I told TA about reading all the threads about people getting onboard credit for drop in cruise prices. He said don't believe all of it. He says it doesn't happen very often at all. Is he right or just doesn't want me to bother him about it? This is a TA I found advertised above on this site. He did give me the best price of several others I have used before and better than Carnival.

How do I check to see if prices have dropped? Do I call him and he checks? When is the best time to check for price drops? Is it a matter of who "fusses the loudest" gets this credit? This is our 3rd Carnival cruise. Does that help?

We sail on July 18th. I don't want to miss out on credit if this is the norm. We have 2 rooms so this could really add up for us. What all can the credit be used for on the ship?

This is our 4th cruise and I was not aware of this until I found this site. I have gained lots of info from this site and really appreciate all who reply to questions!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: TA says don't believe info about onboard credit ... True

I am sailing on July 18th also on The Legend from NYC. I watch just about everyday for drop in prices but have not seen any yet. If I do before my final payment i will call my TA. If i see it drop after I will call and see about shipboard credits

Carnival Imagination
Carnival Sensation 2005
Carnival Legend 2004
Carnival Imagination 2003
Carnival Imagination 2002
Nordic Empress 2001
Carnival Pa
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Gary L Rounds

For onboard credit to be of any significance, the price drop you observe would have to be on the same sailing, the same cabin category of THE SAME AGENCY that sold the cruise to you to raise a valid "stink".

Gary :-)
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MikesMom

Your TA if full of donkey doo.... I recieved $150 shipboard credit for our cabin. We booked an 8A and prices dropped. I called TA and she got us that credit. I told my sister in law who booked a cat 11 for her family of 4. She called the same TA and she received shipboard credit of $400..........:-)

CCL FASCINATION 1/04
CCL MIRACLE 6/04
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: TA says don't believe info about onboard credit ...

Hubby and I booked through an on-line agency who had very good prices....a couple of weeks before the ship sailed Carnival's price was actually lower than our booking rate, so we called the TA and got the run-around (they said Carnival had to authorize credit, Carnival said the TA did) - persistance paid off, though! We got $100 in credit which paid for a massage.
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:55 AM
TexCroozer

Your TA is full of B-U-L-L!!!!! We booked a 6A gty and when I saw prices had dropped I called and received an upgrade to 6D and a $100.00 shipboard credit!
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I think that TA is wrong. I am a TA and when Carnival reduced their rates and we notify them. If Carnival cannot refund anything to a client they either upgrade or give an onboard credit.

An example...........a year ago I booked my parents a 2 night cruise to nowhere. I booked them into a category 8A on the Victory. A month before sailing I was looking through Carnival promotions and noticed that cruise was less then what I paid. So I notified Carnival and because it was close to sailing they could not refund me instead the res agent went to a supervisor and they offered me a category 11 suite!

Old April 27th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You can monitor pricing on the Carnival web site. Check to see their listed price when you book with your TA.

Then every once in awhile go back to see if Carnival's price has dropped. If it has dropped before final payment you can get a refund. If it drops after you've made final payment ask for the shipboard credit.

Seeing a cheaper price elsewhere on another TAs web site does not necessarily mean that Carnival has dropped their price, so just finding a cheaper price elsewhere does not mean you can expect a price decrease from your agent.

ONLY when the drop in price is by the cruise line itself, should you expect a refund or shipboard credit.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Passenger

See my post under Automatic Price Reduction. I've used the same agent for 4 cruises.
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Hmm...Is this only if you book thru a Carnival Travel Agent?
I used Expedia.

~Carey

Old April 27th, 2004, 01:46 PM
jamiegunter

We sailed on the Paradise last year, price dropped two weeks before sailing. We
were offered a 3 cat upgrade, they said it was to close in time to give credit. We happily
took the upgrade. Our travel agent called and asked. You have to have a good travel agent that is willing to make the effort. Good luck!
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MikesMom

Carey....

No it doesnt have to be Carnival who you booked through. I booked through a TA and noticed on the CARNIVAL website prices went down so i calle MY TA and she did the rest and got us the shipboard credit.

CCL FASCINATION 1/04
CCL MIRACLE 6/04
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Somehow I doubt Expedia would go through the hassle, but its worth a try. Congrats to everyone who got the upgrade, thats awesome!

One more thing that is making me love cruising more and more each day eventhough I have yet to go on my first one

Old April 27th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Lara

I booked through Sam's club, which uses Orbits. I have received both a shipboard
credit and an upgrade on both of our cabins. I watch the price online everyday,
when the price drops I call the TA. The TA in turn calls Carnival, while I am on hold.

Lara
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Woo hoo - this is good news! And the price HAS to be on the Carnival site or is it anywhere you can find a lower price?

Old April 27th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are on the Legend out of NY on June 8. We are on an 8A GTY. I recently found prices had dropped a small amount. I called my TA and she called Carnival. Since one of us is from CT and there is a promotion for CT residents, we were upgraded to an assigned 8I cabin. I found this acceptable. The only possible upgrade next is to the next category since 8I is the highest balcony category. Some TA's will bend over backwards. Since we are a group of 6 with 3 cabins, the TA has more to gain, not just for now, but for the future.
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:42 PM
KrazyK

I just called yesterday to the online TA that I booked through since I noticed prices dropped about $300. SHe told me that Carnival really doesn't like to give shipboard credit, but she could upgrade us. So we went from a 6A to a 8E (i hope this was a smart move). I'm new to all of this, but I'm glad I called!!
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Passenger

I have learned a lot through the message boards about the price drop. I checked out Carnival's web site (try booking a cabin through their online reservations for the same cat cabin you already have) to check out the price. I then contacted my TA which in my case was Carnival. Today she called to tell me that we were getting an onboard credit of $780 a savings of about $130 per person. We have 6 people and 2 cabins. Go for it is all I can say.

PS - Check back frequently before your sail date to see if the price drops any lower. Carnival said that it will continue to give onboard credit if the price keeps dropping.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:27 PM
SuzieQuzie

Soooo you are telling me there is a chance? I booked last week through TA and know my cat. and my actual room #'s. We wanted beside each other cause teens staying in one room, us parents in room next door. Booked 4c, upper interior, midship, only 2 floors above me. First time without window, but done enough with windows $581.50 total drive out pp.

Will I likely see the biggest drop just before sailing? I guess I need to go on Carnival right now to see price. Is Carnival's price with all taxes and port charges? Then if it drops from there then call TA and ask him to call Carnival.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:51 PM
SuzieQuzie

I just tried Carnival site. So I have to pretend everytime that I am booking a cruise to see a price. I don't know what it was when I booked last week. Is there an easier way? Am I doing it right? That might not be worth all the extra trouble to keep checking just to maybe get $100 shipboard credit.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

i booked through travelocity and they are reducing the final payment due to a price drop. i intend to keep watching prices up until we go. even if it only drops a little, $10 bucks is $10 bucks, eh? i keep a paper on my desk and go back to check periodically, comparing my original booking and price drop to what is currently online.
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Passenger

We also booked our last cruise with a TA. Our cruise dropped in price and I had to fight tooth and nail almost every time to get our TA to get it. I called Carnival and was put on there e-mail list and every time there is a special I get notified. Our cruise dropped a total of $350.00 each. The last drop was put on on board credit of $200.00. The last time I talked to my TA she said I would do better to book my next cruise my self. Some TA's want you to book with them then leave them alone. They feel your taking money out of there pocket when you ask for the price drop. Well I say, too bad! It's our money!
If there's a drop in price on your cruise, don't feel bad about getting some of your money back.

The Carnival Victory 04
Norweigan Norway 03
Norweigan Sea 00
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:55 AM
SuzieQuzie

I think like "lamplighter" I am gonna have a fight on my hands. I guess I will wait until closer to sail time and hope for a drop and then I will only have to fight my TA once.

Hope I "win".
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to FlawedAngel

Just make sure you don't wait too long and it sells out and then you don't get anything!

But I agree...I was prepared to fight, because it seems like the right thing to do if the price drops, but my TA was awesome! No questions asked, she knew immediately what to do!
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I have in the past received both onboard credit or a direct reduction in my final payment
for price changes. Your TA knows not what they are talking about.
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Okay...My price dropped 50 bucks...wouldnt it be easier for me to call Carnival rather than calling the Travel Agent (Expedia, in my case) and then have them call Carnival for me?

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to FlawedAngel

Chances are Carnival would tell you to call your travel agent....when I had a problem I called Carnival and they told me they couldn't help me (more than once) that I had to call my TA....which was fine, they knew what to do and called Carnival for me...
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival would definitely tell you to call your TA. Also, on a similar subject, Carnival doesn't want to compete with their TA's. This is one reason I almost always book through a TA and not Carnival. If Carnival was always low balling customers versus TA's, would you sell their cruises? They need those TA's. AT&T did this some years back and learned the lesson the hard way. Their phone center stores were competing too well against their third party vendors. The vendors couldn't compete and stopped selling AT&T phones. AT&T eventually closed its stores to appease the sellers it needed. Makes sense.
Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Passenger

I booked thru Carnival and booked a OV guar. and i was told there was a price drop so I called. Mike who works forCarnival checked the price and gave my wife and i $160 ship credit each and we still have a guar. cabin. I would think since I booked thru carnival and they tell me that I have a on board credit that it would be true.

Elation
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM
BJKeen

We aren't guaranteed on board credit or a drop in price. The first time that I had ship board credit was last May on the Pride. I had to keep an eye on the prices and call my ta when the prices dropped, but I did get the ship board credit $200.00 after informing her of the price drop.