Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:02 AM
canucks with kids

Default travelling with small kids--advice?

My husband and I will soon be on our 1st cruise.....we are taking our 1 and 4 year old, as well as his parents, who are seniors. I am wondering about shore excursions, what would be the most enjoyable.......any suggestions are appreciated, as well as any general tips to do with the kids............oh ya.....does anyone know about this packing in the big ziploc bags, what's the deal? please explain. Also, my 1 year old still needs her food mashed/pureed/ whatever and milk at night and am, is this easy to arrange on board? thanks so much for any info you can share.........!! canucks with kids!
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:22 AM
mjohns2

Default Re: travelling with small kids--advice?

Something for motion sickness (and I would start giving it to them in small dosages a few days before you set sail. My some made a mess of the cabin.... So much a mess we tipped the guy that cleaned the room $45.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM
kernfam01

Oh my gosh! We will also be traveling on our first cruise with our 1 and 4 year old, and my older parents. There are definately some excursions that are more kid friendly. You didn't post your ports of call, but I highly recommend checking out the destination (or ports of call) boards and family cruising boards on this site as well as cruisecritic.com. I have learned a TON!! GL
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:32 PM
MichelleM

The milk won't be a problem, you can order it from room service 24hrs a day and it will be delivered quickly (no extra charge except a tip for the delivery person). The wait staff usually fall over themselves being helpful with young children, many of them have young kids at home that they don't get to see for months so just being around other people's kids reminds them of theirs. Just talk to you waiter then first night about what your baby needs and they will be able to arrange something for you.

If you do your excursions thru carnival check out the booklet in your cabin when you arrive. There will be a little "camp carnival recommended" mark next to the excursions that are kid friendly.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:57 PM
canucks with kids

Default Re: Re: travelling with small kids--advice?

thanks so much for the information......i realllllllllllllly appreciate it.....this is the most amazing site...thanks again.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:38 PM
HOSKI

We have done this many times and it has never been a problem. I will try to think of some tips/hints for you. Took most of the baby food back home because daughter found lots to eat. Bananas, mac and cheese, yogurt, mashed baked potato, cereal, etc. There was tons of finger and soft foods for her.
What ports? With the cost involved in taking young children on excursions, research and do your own thing as much as possible. Also, consider taking turns taking some adult excursions and leaving little ones in Camp or on ship with one parent. Beaches close by are good for little ones.
The staff will go out of their way for your little ones. Please tip the camp staff, their tips are not included in the regular ones. And use camp and the babysitting. It is fun for the kids and gives you a break. I felt guilty about this but daughter wanted to go.
If you have specific questions, email me. hoski@charter.net
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:33 AM
canucks with kids

Default Re: Re: travelling with small kids--advice?

sorry, our port stops are progresso, cozmel and belize city.....we leave may 09 on the elation.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Passenger

I would love to here back from you about your experience with the kids when you get back. We are doing our 2nd cruise June 27 on the Elation with our 3 and 5 year olds. Our 1st was on the Holiday during Christmas. The crew was GREAT with the kids and did everything they could to make their stay great. We did not use Camp Carnival because my parents went with us and we had lots of help. We were thinking of using it this time so let me know how it was. In Cozumel we did our own thing at the beach and the kids had a ball!!! It was our only port. We have never had a better vacation. The large ziploc bags come in handy for wet beach clothes. We also ordered room service before we left for the beach and packed it in the ziploc bags. I know it sounds cheap but I didn't want to take a chance with the kids getting sick on the food from Mexico. If you have any questions please email me. Cruising families have to stick together.