Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2004, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148
Default Water ON Board.

hey yall,

i just spoke to a a lady friend of the family who just got home from a 4 day carnival cruise on i forgot which ship..she said she really enjoyed it but one thing..the water. the water you take a shower in, is sea water.....she said on formal night they took a shower/dressed up and went to dinner smelling like an egg. so this is true for all ships?? also..what about the drinking water on board? i dont drink soft drinks/tea, so i usually order water to drink...is this sea water also?

also..what about toliet seat covers? are they in ur room? u have to buy them on board or bring them with u?

Thanks,
David.

9/07/2009 - Carnival Destiny
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:56 PM
jamiegunter

Default Re: Water ON Board.

Thats not true. They have desalinzation machines on the ships that clean the water.
I think she was telling you a line. We have been on Carnival twice, and
trust me I would not go again if it was not clean water. The drinking water is very good,
better than at home
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:01 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

Of course its not plain old seawater as in take the saltwater and dump it on you....Most of the fresh water on board is PURIFIED seawater. They remove all the salt and contaminants and the water is extremely good quality.
Think about it, at the rate we are losing our water, most of us might need that source of water at home! In the mideast they have desalination plants not unlike these.
The water doesn't smell funny to me. Given how contaminated the water is here, it is probably better than miami's city water.

The only problem is that sometimes the water tastes a bit funny, like there's too much chlorine in it. Don't worry, you'll either get used to it or the water will improve. If it gets too bad you can always get bottled water. I'd not worry if I were you. On the newest ships they even treat the waste water to the quality of grocery store distilled water.

Post Edited (05-01-04 14:03)
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I think your friend may have given you some bad info for whatever reason. The water on all ships is very pure and definitely has no salt. Smelling like eggs??? Boy--- hung over maybe??
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148

lol ok...maybe it was just that once on her ship. lol

anyways, thanks for the info..

David.

9/07/2009 - Carnival Destiny
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM
SLS

We just got off the Sensation and the water pressure is great in the shower. Make sure you check the temperature before you step in because they have plenty of hot water and you can get scalded.

There aren't any paper toilet seat covers on the ship. Think it would clog up the system. In your stateroom the steward cleans the bathroom twice a day. Can't get much cleaner than that.

sls
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:54 AM
BJKeen

I have drank the water at the fountain on each of my five cruises.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I just got back last night. Was on the Inspiration. I drank the water every day. It was fine. Showers were great. Good pressure.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Cocoa

Modern cruiseships have better water treatment systems than most local municipalities. The waste water is from the bathrooms and such is usually "cleaner" than required drinking water standards.

That being said, you can always get a little rust in the pipes just like everywhere else. My wife and we on our honeymoon on the Carnival Victory a few years ago. Whomever was piloting her into St.Thomas decided to sideswipe the Port side of the ship into the quay. This was the first and only time this has ever happened when we cruised, just to settle your mind. It was a significant bump that knocked half of our belongings off our dresser. After this the water in the shower and sink was a little murky for a few hours. Probably a little rust jolted free from the bumping.

Also, it is cheaper for a ship to buy shore based water than it is to use the diesel generators to power the desalination plants. So often ships will take on water at certain port facilities. We encountered this in San Juan once and the chlorine level spiked 3 fold when we came back aboard. This is either a result of the shore water being over chlorinated or the engineering/safety staff deciding to be extra sure to kill whatever might be in the water they took aboard.

I grew up in a town that made Chlorine with a little water added so I lived with it, my wife was forced to stick with the bottled water for a day or two and then she was happy with the tap water again.