Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Default Anyone know of some good handheld radios or walkie talkies f

Does anyone know of some good walkie talkies to use on the ship and on the islands? I just purchased the Motorola Talkabouts (T5700) and the range is only to the end of our street. :o( I want something good that will work and would like to spend $150 or less. Any ideas? If you have a model that you've tried and it works really good, please let me know. Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FIREKILLER
Default Re: Anyone know of some good handheld radios or walkie talki

luv2cruz,
I'm testing some out right now. We have the Motorola Talkabout T5950. up to a
5 mile range. Don't bet on it. In a straight and clear path I can get about 2 miles.
However, these sound clear and should do the trick for the cruise. We're going to stick with these. I also got about half mile around our neighborhood, because of interference with houses,tress,etc. I believe the fine print states that you'll get further distance depending on terrain conditions.
The other one I tested and I will be returning is the Cobra Microtalk PR2960, 6 mile range, NO WAY!. Lousy walkie-talkie, the one feature which I liked was the vibro alert call button. Hopr this helps, when are you going on your cruise? Paul

TRIUMPH 07/04
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Anyone know of some good handheld radios or walkie t

Hi Paul. We are going on the Destiny on June 13th to the Southern Caribbean. I haven't managed to find anyone else that will be on our cruise :o( I wish I could find other people going because it is so much fun to meet the people you talk with on the boards? Where are you going on your cruise? I know it's not mine since your box says "TRIUMPH 75 days" left. BTW, how do you get this on your posts? I would like to have it on all my posts as well.

Thanks for the info on the Motorola T5950's. I am going to try ours in the mall before we return them. If it works there, then maybe it will work on the boat. If not, I'll look into the T5950. I figured it was all the houses that made them not work initially. But then I thought with all the metal on the ship it should be even worse. Don't you think? Also, I wanted them for the islands because my husband will be scuba diving and my daughter and I will either be shopping, at the beach or on an excursion, so I wanted him to be able to get ahold of us when he was finished. And I doubt our cell phones would work on the islands.....who knows though, they work in Maui.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We just got back from our cruise. We used the Cobra 5 mile and they worked great. We were able to use them all over the ship and the islands. I think they were about $80 for 2 at Walmart.

Darcy
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
bill123

motarola at best buy for around 70 bucks a pair worked awsom
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Hi Bill. What was the model # for your Motorola's?
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone know of some good handheld radios or walk

luv2cruz,
I'll be going to Eastern Carib., and I bought our Motorolas 5950s at Sams Club for $60 for two. About the clock, go down on the bottom of every thread page and click on Message Board Tricks, scroll to the clock link, left click & hold and highlight that entire link. Then you'll right click and pick copy. Then go back to this thread and on the very last reply you'll see My Profile, click on that. Next click Edit Profile, then right click in the message area and pick Paste. Here comes the tricky part just backspace form the end to the ?(question mark) then add your date exactly how it had it before, then finish with a bracket /img bracket. Good Luck, also click on the add my signature to my post box. Paul

Post Edited (05-04-04 10:22)

TRIUMPH 07/04
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone know of some good handheld radios or

Post Edited (05-04-04 10:23)

TRIUMPH 07/04
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone know of some good handheld radios

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will look into prices and reviews on these models. Still can't figure out about the signature.....yeah, I'm blonde! I'll try again. I don't seem to see some of the things on my screen that the Message Boards Tricks says I should see, such as "edit profile".....cannot find this anywhere????!!!!!

Thanks again everyone for all your input. I'll keep checking to see if anyone else adds their favorite walkie talkie.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Passenger

I just got back from Wal-Mart and saw the Cobra's $49, the package said FCC license required. The guy in the department did not know what was required for the license does anyone know about this requirment?

Pride 6th June

Old May 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well... you could do the rest of the ship a favor and and leave those loud, obnoxious, squawking noise makers at home! Try leaving sticky notes for each other on your cabin door, or agreeing to meet at a certain place at a agreed upon time.
Realy, at least on the ship, it's not likely anyone is going to get lost. Why is it necessary to be in constant contact? It's time to cut the cord!
At the very least, please be aware of how these radios intrude on the others around you, be brief in your communication, move to a sparsely populated area for your conversations, when using them in your stateroom, keep the volume down and be considerate of your neighbors in the next cabin, do not use them in the dining room, and consider adding an earphone/headset to keep at least part of your conversation private.
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Hi Kenster: In response to your post, I originally needed them for when we were in Barbados because my husband will be scuba diving and I'll be shopping and then later at some beach with my four year old and want to be able to find him when he's done. I was going to give one to my 4 year old daughter when she is in Camp Carnival in case she wants us to come get her since her brother won't be cruising with us. If it gets to be too much of a nuisance, for me, than I will stop using them. But didn't want to go empty handed since this was our first cruise with her. But again, they were primarily for Barbados.
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kenster, Apparently you don't have children. Don't condemn those of us who for safety's sake, need a way to stay in touch with our kids when we go our separate ways, as long as we observe walkie-talkie etiquette. Anyone who doesn't is probably the kind of person who is rude and intrusive in other ways too...

If it's too much for you, cruise on a less family-oriented ship.