Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Default $200 hold?

I have read about the cruiseline putting a $200 hold right away...what is this...can someone explain?

on the Norwegian Spirit!

Carnival Triumph 5-04
Carnival Sensation 3-00
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
theCoach

Default Re: $200 hold?

Ya sure!

As with any purchase you make with a credit card when the cared is swiped by the merchant and "authotized" by the card provider there is a hold placed on your credit card for that amount spent. It is NOT credited to your account until such time as the merchant makes the bank deporit. This is similar to what the cruise lines do.

They anticipate that you will spend a certain amount of money onboard. The place $200 holds "deposits" on your credit card, similar to your favorite merchant. Once you have reaced that $200, they will add andother $200 hold, and so on, and so on.

You have nothing to worry about except the card you are using for your onboard expenses. For example: We provided Carnival with a Visa credit card whtich had a limit of $2500 ( so we knew we were covered for all onboard expenses, and then some) as well we carried a MasterCard with a $1,000 which we used for off the ship expenses.

Bottom line, "don't worry unless you use a credit card with a samll limit, like $500 for your FunPass.

PS. Don't forget to notify your credit card company when and where the card is travelling to.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: $200 hold?

I feel sure that I read somewhere, that if you use CASH to set up your Ship & Sail card, then you are notified when your account gets low, so you can "refill" it. If you use a credit card or debit card - will they notify you or just automatically hold another full $200? If I'm down to the last day or so, I may not want that much held on my account. (Unfortunately, my funds ARE limited to some extent )

I'm thinking I might be better off to set the account up with the cash and travelers checks - that way they would'nt be holding more than I want held. What do you think?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:35 PM
Passenger

i'm not sure i think i'm still confused

on the Norwegian Spirit!

Carnival Triumph 5-04
Carnival Sensation 3-00
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
April & Kelvin

We're going on the victory May 23rd...i have a debit card but im not using it 4 my sign and sail account. I would much rather have my money in my account for emergency's and extra cash if needed. Im just going to secure my s&s with $350 for starts and just re-up when needed. http://www.vacationstogo.com/images/...cs/victory.jpg
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: $200 hold?

Has anyone confirmed the hold stuff?? By the time they add the tips and a few purchases you are at $200.00 We were over $200.00 with just our tips. I think once you start charging, you are kind of running up a tab. I don't think they bother holding then. We got a statement halfway thru our cruise showing what we owed, they probably swiped then, if it wasn't accepted then you were in trouble. As long as your credit limit covers what you are planning to spend you don't have a problem.

I wouldn't tie up the cash unless you bring a lot of it. We spent more than we thought in 2 of the 3 islands, then used quite a bit for tips on and off ship.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to FlawedAngel

Does anyone know if you can tell them to hold more than the $200?

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: $200 hold?

I assume if there is two of us, each will have own account - and our tips for each will come out of those two separate accounts. We just still havent' decided how to set up our account - cash? travelers checks? debit card? Oh - the decisions to be made

Old May 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Admiral

From Carnival:

"For your convenience, charges for most of your onboard purchases are made to your sail and sign acount. A required application form wil be included with your documents. Carnival accepts American Express, VISA, MasterCard, Discover Card and cash for deposit on your account . (A minimum deposit will be required for cash accounts: 2 to 4 day cruises-$100; 5 to 8 day cruises-$200; 9 day or longer cruises-$350)."

I called Carnival customer service to confirm a few things. Here is what I was told. It was $250 per person (including my 13 yo son) for our 7 day cruise on the Glory, not the $200 that is indicated in their literature. The hold can be made on a check card, credit card or with cash. They do not place an additional hold when you use up the initial deposit, just add the amount to your "tab". At the end of the cruise (the night before), they will debit either your credit card, check card, or ask that you come and pay the balance with cash.

I used my check card and it took over a week for the charges to show up from my checking account.

We ended up spending more of our cash that we had originally planned in the ports.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
April & Kelvin

Im going on the victory may 23rd 18 more days!!!!!! I been saving up cash for my s&s. Im bringing about 1,200 for the 2 of us. I only have like $200 left on my credit card (overspent for christmas & just baught Phil Collins tix 4 mom's mothers day gift) so that is low. Someone told me that $800 would have been enough for 7 days..i like to shop so im bringing a little extra. You can always save extra cash but i doubt they will give me extra credit before i go. Have a good trip..this was the same delema i been having since i booked in feb..good luck!