Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Yeoman

Default intro to scuba diving in Cozumel

We will be in Cozumel on the Sensation next thursday and I would like to know if anyone has done and introduction to scuba diving? If so, was it worth it? And was it booked through carnival or a local operator? We will also be in Grand Cayman on Wednesday. My 20 yr. old son is interested in trying this and he is not a certified diver. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Beginner

Default Re: intro to scuba diving in Cozumel

I would love to try that too but I can't swim good at all. Is it a requirement to be a good swimmer or what. We will be on the sensation May 24, 2004
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Admiral

I did the certification course in Cozumel and it was great! The beautiful, warm water certainly beats anything you can do in California!

And no, you don't need to be a good swimming to scuba dive...you will stay with your guide and he will assist....the only suggestion I have is to kick properly, a scissor kick rather than if you are trying to climb stairs....I've seen people try this and just wear themselves out and not get anywhere....

Your son will enjoy it immensely! And be sure to purchase underwater cameras before you leave at your local discount dept store, they are three times as much on the ship!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Happy Camper

You have to do it at each port you want to dive at - just wanted to warn you that you can not do the course at one port and dive as if you are certified at another.. Both are great ports to dive. It would be worth doing twice.

I am a certified diver and one alternative that is cheaper in Cozumel is to go to Chankanaab Park and go to the dive huts along the beach. They all do the "vacation scuba" and the dive is awesome! We just got back and although certified we love that dive and do it quite often when we go to Cozumel. The third hut is the best - ask for "Favio" he is great! All the huts seem good - we had some people from the Elation last week that we had suggested it to try it at Chankanaab and loved it!!!

Also the rest of the family can go there and snorkel, hang out on the beach, tour, minature golf, dolphin encounter, restaurants etc are all in the park. It is $10 cab ride for the whole cab (not per person) and $12 per person to get in. Debbie
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Yeoman

Hey, thanks Debbie, also, about how much does the dive cost? Just trying to get an idea of how much $$$ to bring. Thanks so much.

1 FFC--Princess

Old May 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Happy Camper

I'm sorry I'm not totally sure. I paid $36 per person for everything - gear, dive and guide. The guide is now required at Chankanaab Park as it is a marine park and I guess people were not taking care of the coral when they went on their own. This was for a certified diver though. The vacation scuba is a little more I think. One way to find out and another option is "dive with martin". They are on the RCL dock right next to the Carnival dock. We did a boat dive with them last year and they do vacation scuba too. The only thing is I think they take you right next to the RCL ship and I snorkeled there and it was horrible compared to Chankanaab. If they took you to Paradise Reef for the dive that would be good. BUT just to find out the cost, dive with martin has a website and they list the vacation scuba - their price is probably about the same as Chancanaab. WWW.divewithmartin.com Debbie I'd recommend Chankanaab park over dive with martin but either is better than the ship as long as Dive with Martin took you to Paradise Reef. Debbie
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Yeoman

Thanks so much everyone for your great information! Now, if I could just get packed and ready to go . . . . . . . . and if the rain will stay away . . . . . . . awe, what the heck, . . . . . it sure beats working! We'll just have to make the best of it!

1 FFC--Princess

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Yeoman

I think the $36.00 fee is for a certified diver. For non-certified divers, I think it's around $60.00 at the dive shops (around $75.00 on the ship's tour). It involves a land lesson and a shallow water lesson, and then you get about a 30-minute one-tank dive down to about 30 feet....that's the PADI way, and you should get a 2 week card for the next port of call. Bring cash...sometimes you'll get a better deal than with a credit card. It would be good to bring your own mask and fins (and snorkel), just to make sure they're a good fit.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM
TrinaLC

Default Re: Re: intro to scuba diving in Cozumel

DH and DS researched this quite thoroughly and concluded that best bang for bucks was to snuba. This is a modified scuba where the hose is attached to a floating tank. A non-certified snuba diver gets to spend alot more time in the water as there is no need for the pool training required of vacation scuba.

They LOVED it. Check out http://www.snubacozumel.com/

Reserve directly and save money over what the cruise line offers. Also, the one the cruise offers doesn't take you out by boat to the reefs, so you don't see the really spectacular stuff.