Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Jimmy Roberts

Default Restaurants in Mexico

I recommend to anyone Cruising to eat on the ship, not at the local restaurants in Mexico. The food is better and it is free on the ships.. We were scammed on our food bills at two Mexican eateries in Playa del Carmen.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Restaurants in Mexico

I also have to throw my two cents in here - when I was in Cancun, the Mexican food is nothing like the "Mexican" food we are used to here. I love Americanized Mexican food, but really couldnt even stomach the real stuff. It was terrible. I guess its a matter of taste. I definetly agree with Jimmy, eat the free stuff on the ship!

Old May 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM
First Mate

I think I will disagree, I ate at Carlos n Charlies is cozumel, I enjoyed a more mexican food compared to the Taco Bell I am use to. We actually only paid about 30$ pp to eat and drink for about 5 hours, not too bad. But thats my opinion and where I ate.

Michele

Fascination
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Re: Restaurants in Mexico

Okay thats true - but Carlos and Charlies is a tourist trap and they cater the food towards American vistors. Their food was awesome when we were there.
I guess its more the little resturants in Mexico that have I guess what is the "authentic" mexican food.
But hey, I guess it never hurts to try it out and see for yourself...

Old May 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Wow....talk about "different strokes for different folks"!

I grew up in (and still live in) a southern California town that is predominantly hispanic. The first Mexican food I ever had was made by friends those parents came from Mexico. However, in restaurants, I have found the Meican food to be more and more "Americanized" and I have grown to hate it. Lately, hubby and I have made trips to Baja California, Mexico, and I've rediscovered how great true Mexican food can be!

On our cruise a couple of years ago, we had great tacos at a little stand in Cancun....and we still talk about the meal we had at a little open-air place in Cozumel. And we've never been unhappy about the prices.

Of course, you can beat "free" for price, but I'm not staying on the ship and missing snorkeling on a beach in Cozumel for that.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:56 AM
First Mate

could you reccomend a "little place" in Cozumel?

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:43 AM
First Mate

pebbs:

Wish I could remember the name of it. We went to Chakanaab Park (spelling?) and it was inside the park. Cold beer, great burritos, and guacamole yummmmmmmmm! And a million-dollar view! Our only complain was the little gnats that were everywhere...literally everywhere on the island, not just everywhere at the restaurant (restaurant seems too fancy a name for it....snack bar seems a bit lacking in describing the size of the place and its menu).
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM
First Mate

My son told me he had gone to a little eatery around the corner from Carols and Charlies, cannot remember the name, but he asked one of the vendors renting mopeds. He said it was the best taco meal he had ever had. And only cost 6.00 with a soda. He is a big eater and said he couldn't finish it all. So, ask and you shall receive. Ha, just had to through that in.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Happy Camper

Ditto the open air restaurant in Chankanaab park Cozumel. We have eaten there a couple of times and the view is awesome!

We did walk a little toward town from the RCL pier and walked into an open air restaurant and bar that looked over the water for a beer. Glad we didn't eat - they had raw chicken laying on the counter in 90 degree heat with flies all over it. I got food poisoning in Cabo on a catamaran trip - from the limes best I can figure. But it could have been from eating the day before in Mazatlan.

I was sick for over two weeks - it was bad! Do be careful. Debbie
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Passenger

We ate here at El Bucanero in Chankanaab National Park. Is this the place you are talking about? We really enjoyed our lunch there, as well as the entire day at El Parque Nacional Chankanaab.

Old May 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Sharkin....nice pic!

It looks like it could be the same place, but difficult to tell...

Do you have more photos to share? Our cruise in August will take us to Cozumel again, plus Progreso and Belize....I would love to see photos of those areas!
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Terri,
Here is a link to a gallery I posted on another board. They are from a Conquest cruise in February of 03. Ports of call were Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Sorry but I can't help you with Progreso or Belize.
<http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=1689>

Post Edited (06-04-04 09:00)

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Sharkin....

thanks! The Conquest looks nice...we've never been on it...yet!
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I would like to disagree also... We always eat at Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel and it is heavenly! It's in the courtyard of Los Cinco Soles (one of the recommended shops that will be on your Cozumel map). The atmosphere, food, and drinks are just wonderful. One of the main reasons we are going on a Western Caribbean next is JUST so we can go back to this fabulous restaurant again.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Sheree Daley

Did you by any chance live in Santa Ana?
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Gnats....lots of them?! I hate bugs with a passion. Do they fly around and get in your face? This definitely was not good news.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Passenger

Oh gosh, I had the GREATEST experience having lunch in Progreso. Can't remember the name of the place now, darn it, Ste. Michelle? Something like that.

We had the BEST guacamole and pico de gallo in the world, and wonderful thick homemade chips. We got fried plantains with a vanilla cream sauce, Yucatan style chicken (spices, tomatoes, wrapped in a banana leaf to cook--divine). That and 2 margaritas apiece cost us 199 pesos.

OH--bring your ATM card to shore! Stop in any bank and get pesos for your shopping and eating. You get a better deal twice--first at the ATM because of the better exchange rate (and no fee in my case), and second because the vendors will say 199 pesos = $20 USD, when it's more like $18. And it's fun paying with pesos, and you bring the extra coins home and give them to the kids in your life as souveniers. They'll think you're a goddess.

Have fun! As I've heard other posters say, if you want an American experience, stay the heck home. We travel to experience life DIFFERENT from our own.

Jen
Glory 12/03
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:27 PM
First Mate

Kristine....yeah, sorry to say, there were a lot of bugs. Take your "Off" or whatever, maybe they'll leave you alone more than they did us. So we waved our arms a while...*s*....we managed to keep them out of the guacamole!

midtown_girl.....thanks for the recommendation in Progreso. We're going in August. The fried plantains and cream sauce sounds good!
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Gary L Rounds

I couldn't disagree with the original poster more!!

When I can't cruise to Mexico, I fly there. The main reason is the people and the truly great food, richly prepared, superbly served.

I prefer to stay or eat where the locals and Mexican tourists eat. I avoid the Americanized tourist "drink 'til you puke" spots most of the time.

On latest cruise to Puerto Vallarta aboard the PRIDE, I went south of the Rio Cuale to the beautiful beach along the hotels most of the Mexican Nationals use on their vacations. Great little seaside restaurants.

Latest a week ago, little table with chairs in the sand, palm frond roof so low tall people were bumping their heads on the huge limbs used for supports! Incredible quesadillas with goat cheese and green chiles and enough guacamole for an army. Home fried chips one can never get in the states. Total bill - 45 pesos (about $4.20) and that included a beer!

Same thing in Cabo San Lucas last Friday. Little spot on the malecon called the "Hogpen" - 3 great fish tacos (tasted like Angel Shark) for $3.50 and all beer was $1 :-) Although they didn't have Corona, the Sol was great also...tasted so good I had another beer for desert ! ! :-)

Anytime you're in Mexico at a restaurant, instead of an American soft drink, ask for Horchata, a traditional Mexican drink (tastes like liquid rice pudding) made with rice and milk. Delicious and so refreshing. Usually very inexpensive.

If you're going to Mexcio, GO TO MEXICO. Stay away from the Americanized bars and American hotels....get with the Mexican travelers and lap up the culture and the great food and drinks. You can't find finer people in the world.

Gary
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Passenger

I guess I am a novice on this topic as I was under the impression it wasn't safe to eat in the restaurants in Mexico unless they were an "Americanized" hotel? You all talk like you eat anywhere and don't get sick from the food & beverages???

How do you know the ice is ok in the drinks you have since the water is deadly?

Just wondering because I don't want to end up ruining my cruise by eating something that makes me ill.

Kathy
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Kathy....
I don't know if the conditions in Mexico have gotten better, or if, as I've gotten older, my body has just experienced so many flu type "bugs" that it has developed a better resistence to things...**...
When I was 20 years old, hubby and I and some friends went to Tijuana. They all ate Mexican food and I kept to American stuff, but forgot about the ice in the Coca-Cola. OHMIGOD, I'd never been so sick in my life as our trip back to Orange County that evening!!
Now....fast forward to about 30 years later....Hubby and I go to Mexico regularly. I've given up practically all worries about food poisoning, and to be honest, I've only had one meal where I felt I was having digestive problems afterwards, and I'm not sure it isn't because I literally STUFFED myself with so much lobster! (Anyone that is familiar with Puerto Nuevo will know what I'm talking about: 3 half-lobster tails, rice, beans, chips, salsa and margarita for $15.00!!!). I'm more careful, now, about the ice in my drinks. I usually ask the waiter/waitress if they use ice made from purified water, if I can't find it out, I just drink my Diet Coke from the cold can they give me!
My recommendation is to enjoy the wonderful flavors of REAL Mexican food.
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Gary L Rounds

The infrastructure (streets, phones, electrical, water & sewage systems) has gotten so bad in most highly-populated Mexican cities, that even the locals drink purified water.

No eating establishment worth its salt would think of serving drinks with ice cubes NOT made with purified water.

Gary
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Gary:

The problem is discovering which establishments are worth their salt, and which are just serving it! :-)
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Gary L Rounds

I knew when I posted that comment, that I would get that response. :-)

Almost all restaurants use purified water for their ice cubes. You would have to go into the inner bowels (no pun intended) of a Mexican city to run into some little whole-in-the-wall, Mom & Pop place that may "cheat" a little in that regard.

Be highly suspicious of all the little 10 stool "food stands" in any huge marketplace (mercado). Almost every Mexican city has one of these. Buy a lot of souvenirs and trinkets but don't eat at these little stands. Sometimes the pricing is so tempting.

I've never had Moctezuma's Revenge (note that is NOT Montezuma's Revenge), but I've seen people on Mexican trains that have it and its not a pretty picture. :-)

Gary