Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Default Cozumel - not to impressed (Carlos & Charlies)

well, we gave the "recommended" restaraunt a try last week... after they put a fake cockroach on my sons plate and then some type of buzzing toy by my ear and the people giving all the party animals their "shots" and shaking the boobies on the girls... oh my.... we were out of there within 3 minutes ! Someone should post this is definitely a PARTY PLACE.... not a FAMILY PLACE !!

We are pretty particular where we eat stateside as far as cleanliness, etc goes... imagine the shock of the cockroach... not a fun event ! I wish we had been warned & we would NEVER have gone there as a family !

Fine for those of you partiers, not fine for family members of assorted ages...

to each their own, I guess.... we went to Fridays up in the new mall... it was better for us !
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:29 AM
wolfie

Default Re: Cozumel - not to impressed (Carlos & Charlies)

Stef - Tx,
Thanks so much for that info, as we were planning on checking out Carlos & Charlies on our upcoming cruise June 13th on the Elation. I too would have left after the cockroach episode. As they say, "different strokes for different people." You probably saved us a bundle of money!

Thanks,
Another Tx. Gal
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Tenley

it definitly is more of a party atmosphere...not a place for younger children thats for sure...

but i went with my family, granted my siblings and i are 19,20 and 21....and we had a great time...but i would never bring younger kids!
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Catrin

I am SO Sorry that someone recommended this to you ... as a FAMILY place!!

It is definatly a FUN time for the after hours ADULT crowd.... but, I would never take my kids there....
WOW..... (I am just here imagining your adventure!... Yikes!)
Cathy
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

With so many terrific things to do and see in Cozumel, why must everyone hightail it to some party bar- or Fridays for that matter. You can eat at Friday's anywhere. You're better off eating on the ship. I suggest finding a good local bar/restaurant for an authentic taste of Mexico. And there's just too much beautiful beach to spend your shore time in a common bar. Get out and enjoy the island.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Kenster -

my son is not only a vegetarian... but is also very picky & believe it or not HE had never been in a Fridays... and after the cockroach incident, he was a little shaken... we were all hungry & it was close... what can I say ? Sometimes better safe than sorry !
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you. We, too were going to go there while in Cozumel because it was talked up so much. We have a 14 year old son and will not be going in there. Actually, after what you wrote, we wouldn't go in there ourselves either!
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cozumel - not to impressed (Carlos & Charlies)

Thanks, glad to hear this. going June 13 Elation with two teens.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Yeoman

Very good posts about Carlos & Charlies! Steph - I'm sorry you weren't aware of the nature of this place before you went, and glad you did find a place to eat with your family. I've been there with our adult crowd, and had a great time, but definitely wouldn't recommend it for families with kids! I actually have seen families in there with kids...parents drinking, and kids being "tempted" with booze, and I don't like to be judgemental, but I couldn't help wondering why they thought that was OK. No prude am I, but it did bother me to see young kids in there for several hours.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Admiral

C&C's is a really fun place but it is not for kids, period. Come on folks, it's a bar and you don't take kids to bars. That should go without saying.
Jim

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Jim -
It was HIGHLY recommended to us as a GREAT PLACE TO GO ! We were told it was similar to Hard Rock Cafe or Applebees ! We take our family to Applebees at least once a month... we did not know it was more of a BAR than a RESTARAUNT... lesson learned... is that lesson, dont believe what you hear ?
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Thank you for letting us know we also thought it would be somewhere "cool" to take our daughters 13 +15 on our trip in december guess i can cross that off the to do list!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Passenger

We went to Carlos & Charlie's in April....like you, we had heard nothing but wonderful things about it. We were NOT told about the things that go on there. Luckily we were both in our upper twenties and not easily offended. :-) However, I totally understand what you were saying....people always write about how much fun C&C's is (and we did have a blast)....but I never got the impression that it was and adults only place just from simply reading the posts. I'm sorry about your experience there....
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Steph,

Whoever told you that Carlos and Charlie's was a family restaurant really played a good April fool's on you. I went to Mexico 3 times and never went. I was always told about C&C and the things that happen there. Well this 4th time I went recently and I made my way to C&C's around 11:00 am and had lunch and nothing was going on. We left. Found out around 1p.m things started up. My hubby wouldn't get into that stuff and he don't drink. I on the other hand would have love to see what all the hypes about but I'll just have to go another time. My Cousin and his new wife just went on the Conquest and they said the best time they had was at C&C's and he doesn't drink and his wife and him are kinda shy people but had a blast. I have to agree with Jim, I mean once you heard the partying going on it should have told you it wasn't a place for kids to be. Let this be a lesson for all, just because one person recommends a place is great, do more research, make sure your kids will be able to get in and that it will be family friendly. These are some great boards ask lots of questions. The first time I was told about C&C's I was told about the shots, the booby shaking and all sorts of stuff. Why that person left that out it beyond me, or else that person never really went and just took the word of someone else saying it was a great place. Sorry that happened to you.

Old May 11th, 2004, 10:54 PM
KristenS

Well just for anyone who might be going to Puerto Rico soon.... same thing goes for Senor Frogs.... I went on the Truimph last October... and had heard what a blast Sr Frogs was... well needless to say we had to check it out.... Mind you our group was 21+ there were 6 of us... all I can say is BODY SHOTS GALORE and ADULT THEMES everywhere... so for anyone headed to Puerto Rico... family's with children be ware.. frogs is fun for young adults and adults but not intended for the younger crowd at all!!! Just thought you might like to know......
--Kristen & Brian
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Cruisin'_Susan

it was a fake cockroach right?
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:31 AM
First Mate

I kind of gathered from posts here and on another cruise board website I frequent that it was a party place. Noone ever talks about the food, just how wild and how much fun it was. But, on our cruise (Elation, March) I believe at the excursion talk, the cruise director said Carlos and Charlies is not a family place. Please do not bring any age children in there.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Whiteknight

I just don't understand why anyone would want to spend their limited time on an island paradise with their head buried in a dark and noisy bar filling their body with the most overpriced booze available since leaving the ship. I suppose the bars on the ship and at home aren't enough. Whoever recommended the place as a family place probably had the Manson family in mind.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Steph said:
<<my son is not only a vegetarian... but is also very picky & believe it or not HE had never been in a Fridays... >>

Steph, sorry. I wasn't considering the kids angle. I have to admit to frequenting more than our share of McDonalds, Burger King, etc when traveling in the Great Britain with our young sons years ago. That was okay as long as I got my share of steak and kidney pie, blood pudding, and haggis! yum!
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Admiral

I had never heard nor read about this place before it was mentioned on our ship... after a brief jaunt to Chankanaab and finding our way back... we looked up & from across the street C & C didnt look that bad... granted it was early around noonish... as we made our way down the crazy street & across, it started to appear a little on the wild side... but, we were 4 hungry worn out people... so we thought what the heck... it was recommended... then we got inside and it was like I can only imagine Mardi Gras ? Girls gone wild tapes... (no, havent been to either) so just to clear the record... we were not looking to pour overpriced alcohol down our throats... we were just hungry in a foreign land.... lesson learned... Hope my naivety saved another family some trouble...

happy sails -

Steph & guys
CELEBRATION 05-04
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Gary L Rounds

My Grandmother used to always say, "Cockroaches won't live in a dirty house!" :-)

Gary
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Gary L Rounds

My Grandmother used to always say, "Cockroaches won't live in a dirty house!" :-)

Gary