Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Dorothellen

Default cruise hair

Going on my second Carnival cruise in October on the Glory. Can't wait!!!! Any advice for someone with really curly hair who does not look good in a hat. Looking for something that will keep my hair from getting frizzy. Anyone know any good products or tricks they can recommend? Although husband says we will be spending all our time in the cabin (25th wedding anniversary) so I may not need to worry.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Behey

Default Re: cruise hair

I would reccommend Biosilk (the serem- its a clear bottle)... its a miracle for us frizzy haired ppl!!!!!!!! you can ge tit at a salon or at the grocery store. it is a little pricey but its worth it and you just use a little bit! Another idea is to bring a spray in conditioner with you. It will help weigh down your hair. Hope that helps!
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: cruise hair

Do you have a Sally's beauty supply store near you? (If not, I think they're online.) Anyway, they have a hair product knock-off brand called "Beyond the Zone". The products are *right on* as compared to their expensive brand counterparts. Try "Smooth Shot" (instead of BioSilk) or "Frizz Zapper" or "Split Decision" or a combination thereof. Check the info on the backs of the bottles to see if they meet your needs. They're only $5-6 bucks each (and often on sale for less), so certainly worth a try.

(NO, I don't work for Sally's!!! - I just love finding a beauty/hair product bargain and spreading the word!)

Old May 13th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Yeoman

Been on many cruises before and I have naturally curly hair. I don't think there really is a "fix it" thing you can do. Once that humidity hits it, forget it! Your hair might be different than mine. But mine hates humidity!!
Not sure of your length either. Once in a while for change in the evening, I'd straighten it with a flat iron. That would last for a while if I'm inside. Once outdoors, that's another thing. But would work for evenings. You can always put it back in a cute ponytail. I also would use, not sure what they're called, but they have teeth on them. It's goes around your head and pulls back your hair off of your face. I have bangs, and they look real dorky in humidity. So usually I pull it all back with one of these. So you can use a product to help it not look so out of control. This was the only thing I didn't like going. But I can deal with that. YOu'll have so much fun!!!

Have a great time! Happy Anniversary! We recently went for our 20th. We also spend a lot of time in our room. Hope you got a balcony. tee hee..
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I straighten mine with the blowdryer/round brush, and a flat iron (as I do at home) before dinner each night, and then the next day, I wear it in a pony tail and let it do its own thing till I wash/style it before dinner again.

Old May 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Dorothellen

Summer and my hair do not get along. It is about shoulder length and when the humidity hits it - it puffs up like a blowfish. I blow dry it straight but once I step out on deck - well you know. I've tried some things (none of which you have recommend so thanks for the new ideas) and most either dry it out even more or make it look greasy and dirty. Someone else recommended the BioSilk and I will definitely check out the Sally products online. I am also never without my flat iron. Oh, what we women go through to look good for our man.

We do have a balcony guarantee and are looking forward to many romantic evenings under the stars. tee -hee
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

get it braded!
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

Im glad to know Im not the only one with naturally curly hair! Im a teen and go no where without my straightening iron! I use a product from Sally's Beauty called Moisture Block, its clear and comes in a whilte/clear bottle.. I got it for $20 which seems like a lot but I havent run out yet and I got it in October.. The BioSilk works great too, but DO NOT use alot of it or you will have greasy dripping hair, use dime sized amounts to start out with! (Sorry, hair freak) Also, you can use a big hair clip thing on your hair to avoid humidity. Has anyone used a flat iron in their cabin and blown a fuse? I'm worried about doing that because if it happens my parents will flip! (I've done it at home before too.) Hope my info helped!

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM
cruisingbear

Dear Dorothellen,
I have naturally curly hair. When cruising or in humid weather , I just wear it in a ponytail,
braid, or clipped on top of my head. Hats are good. If you spend your $$ and time
worring about getting rid of the friz, you are going to be frustrated. Some of the products
listed are good, but costly. Won't this make you a slave to your hair??? I'm in my 40's
and just go with the flow and I don't fight what nature has handed me. You may want
to use these products on formal night or at dinner for a special look. I hope you
enjoy your cruise and don't worry about your hair!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Sailing................
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Happy Camper

I like the style the teenagers are doing - I have long hair and that is you put it in a pony tail and then either clip it or twirl it up so the curls are on top of you head and a little sprigs around you face. It's cute and easy I did that most of the cruise I just got off of. Debbie
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Beginner

My hair absolutely drives me crazy in humidity, and I am such a beach person. I do use Biosilk (the full product selection-Shampoo, etc) and it works great. BUT...the humidity always wins in the end. I do use headbands with teeth to control the frizz, but I don't look that great that way either. Good luck and most important HAVE FUN!
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
jamiegunter

I am a hairstylist. I have naturally curly hair and I use a product called Curls Rock, by TIGI. Its a great product, keeps your curls defined without to much weight. Also use
a antifrizz product if needed, Biosilk is a very good product. The key is not to comb your
hair, use a pick. If you start combing it, it will get frizzy. My hair does good on a cruise,
windy hair isnt to bad on curls.
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:22 PM
venice

listen to your husband (smile)..have a great 25th..I'm an african american man about a month before I go I just get the barber to cut it real close so by the time I go on a cruise it grows back just enough that the humidity doesn't bother me..see, sometimes it's nice to be a guy !
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Dorothellen

I guess I am a little obsessive about my hair. It just seems when I look around everyone else's curly hair looks good on them and I wonder how they keep it looking so soft. Thanks again for all the suggestion and well wishes.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sumblonde

Dorothellen- First of all, your hair may not look as bad to others as you think it looks. I have long naturally curly hair and on days when I think I am having a bad hair day are the days I get the most compliments on it. A few things I do: I never comb my hair except for when I am in the shower and I have conditioner in it. I condition my hair everyday and only shampoo it twice a week (thats the advice in a curly girl book by Ouidad). I use the Pantene gel (the one for curls) and I use the infusium 23 leave in conditioner and thats about all. Actually, the humidity seems to make my hair look better, don't know why. Anyways, I plan on using lots of the leave in conditioner on my cruise in Sept. and maybe some cute beachy hats so my face doesn't get burned.

Old May 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Passenger

I too have curly hair and over the years I have spent a ton on products. I have finally found the BEST one Silk by Biologe.

Old May 17th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Dorothellen

I just went on line and found a Sally Beauty less than eight miles from my house...who knew. Anyway it looks like they have alot of products to choose from. The good thing is I have 138 days before we sail to try out all the things you have all recommended and find something that works for me.

I am determined to not let my hair ruin my cruise (although I will admit I am a slave to my hair), but I knew there had to be other people out there with curly hair who cruised and wondered how they dealt with their curls. I want to be looking my best for the cruise photog.

Keep the advice coming, I've already gotten some great tips.