Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default most disliked ship in carnival

Ive seen some posts lately about "peoples favorite carnival ship". What about ur least favorite carnival ships and why?? Im not trying to put carnival down, im a big fan of carnival, im just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: most disliked ship in carnival

Well....I can tell you the ships that I've booked for clients, and that they have complained about as being "too old/too dirty/etc" In order, they would be: Sensation - Holiday - Fantasy. The "complaints" came from more seasoned cruisers, and not fso much first-time cruisers (except for a few).
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM
First Mate

I guess I'm always just too happy to be on the cruise to be very critical of the ships...*L*

I guess of the Carnival ships we've been on, over the years, my least favorite would be the Carnivale (one of the early ones). But it was our first cruise, years and years ago, and it is only in retrospect that I say it -- we were very impressed at the time. I still remember our odd little cabin -- nothing like the ones you get now. You entered the door to the cabin and one twin bed was on one side of the entry and one twin bed was on the other. There was no pushing them together. The dressing area was at the back of the cabin with a closet to the left of the dressing table and the bathroom to the right of it.

Still....we were hooked!! So it couldn't have been too bad!
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Hey, I remember the Carnivale- my first cruise! That boat is now the dingy for the new ships!
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

there is a ship to dislike?
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Gianna S.

I love all the Carnival ships, I was young when I went on the Mardi Gras and Tropicale, anyone remember them?? I remember on the Tropicale a couple of weird looking bugs, big beetle like things coming out of the air vent. Too funny, the ships were quite old and I was much younger, overall I had a blast. Happy cruising!!!!
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Yeoman

Hey..my first cruise was the Carnivale too. Then the Festivale. Not much better than the first one! They sure have come a long way. When we did go, (cuz I had nothing to compare them to) we enjoyed them. Since we've gone on their nicer and newer ones, I couldn't go back to an old one now.

Love to cruise!
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM
First Mate

I remember the Tropicale...at least I think I do. I am pretty sure that is the ship my brother-in-law cruised on (out of Los Angeles) a couple of years after we took our frist cruise on the Carnivale. That was back in the days when friends/relatives "seeing someone off" could board the ship until they announced that anyone not cruising had to disembark. So we drove him down to the ship and walked around being "looky-loo's" until time to get off.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:57 PM
clayb

Default Re: Re: most disliked ship in carnival

Like the previous posters, this is in no way a bashing against Carbival. Some of my favorite cruises were on Carnival. That being said, I will answer the question at hand.

My least favorite cruise overall (out of 16) was the Sensation in 1996. The cabin steward and dining staff were not efficient and not friendly at all. The food was pretty bad, the worst ever, and my standards are pretty low.! It was just not a good cruise. The ship was dirty, too.

I immediately booked a 3-day on the nordic Empress just to redeem the cruise industry!! That was a great cruise. I enjoyed the Legend in 2003. I will be taking my second cruise this year in November on the Conquest. I'm not rich or anything, I just love cruising~!!

I hope they cleaned up the Sensation......

Happy sailing,
clay
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:07 PM
First Mate

We've been on 8 Carnival ships (Fantasy, Celebration, Holiday, Paradise, Victory, Elation, Glory and Jubilee) I can't say I dislike any of them. There have been certain lounges/rooms on them that I didn't care for...but never a whole ship. If I was forced to pick a least favorite...it would be the Glory. We aren't sure why yet...but we think it may be the overall size of the ship. We'll find out when we are on the Conquest in November if it was that or something else.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: most disliked ship in carnival

Clay/Sandy....when are the two of you scheduled for the "Conquest". Leaving 10/31 here.

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: most disliked ship in carnival

I love Carnival, the newer ships. Don't like the older ones without the Grand Atrium.
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Happy Camper

My hubby and I took a "cheap" 5 night on the Jubilee when she was in Galveston and had a great time but looked at each other and said "not again on these ships". We have sailed the Celebration and the Jubilee on a few different cruises each but they have really started showing their age. I'd say the least favorite is the Celebration because she had had the most engine problems and fires. The second favorite is the Jubilee because she is just old and has technical problems. That is what they said when we were 3 hours late leaving Galveston and then again when it couldn't get into Playa and had to turn around and overnight in Cozumel which personally made us very happy - we love Cozumel... So I haven't had any bad cruises just think that those ships are now my least favorite and probably will not sail them again. Debbie
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Our first Cruise was on the Tropical, which is still sailing in the Costa Cruise line. We thought it was a great ship. Then we went on the Inspiration and could not believe the difference. Then we went on the Triumph and again could not believe the size difference......We love each and every ship we have sailed on.....In Oct we hit Destiny...I am sure we will love this one as well.

I have heard a numbder of negative things about the Holiday though......I don't think we will try that one.
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
SusanE.

My vote goes to the Ecstasy, which we took our first cruise on in April. I hear from reading this board that there are nice ships, but we found it to be old, tacky and run-down. (not to mention the smells in the hallways)

I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I sure hope there are nicer ships out there! Although I may never get a chance to find out-- my husband was turned off by cruising.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Lori Walston

Ah yes, the good ole' Tropicale. I cruised on her for a 10-day Panama Canal itinerary back in January 2001 -- just a couple of weeks before she was turned over to Costa. She was a mess! Every time we docked, water (it was clear, don't know how clean it was, though) would come up through the drainage hole on my bathroom floor. The hallway floors had questionable continuous seepage coming up through the carpet too. When we left Key West to head back to Ft. Lauderdale, she had a serious list about her for over an hour. It was my least favorite Carnival ship, but it was the funnest cruise I've had so far (been on eight Carnival cruises). Lots of wonderful folks were onboard.