Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Put us at ease....

Hey there - I am going with a friend on the Victory. It will be my first cruise and her second, but her first one was years and years ago on the Big Red Boat and she keeps comparing the two ships. I tell her something great about our ship and she says "well on the Big Red Boat it was like this or that" and its usually something worse. Like the rooms are super tiny, the bathroom is terrible, the meals are bad - nothing to eat for vegetarians, etc.
Can someone who has been on the Big Red Boat assure her (and me) that the Victory is a much better ship? She's making me paranoid that this great image I have of our beautiful ship is not whats its like at all and that I will be dissapointed when I step on

Thanks!

Carey

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Put us at ease....

Tell her that Carnival cabins are the largest at sea and that they offer vegetarian dishes every night. You can go to the FAQ site on carnival.com to answer more questions.

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have a friend who cruises with us who does this only with Celebrity/Carnival comparision. But it is a number of years since he has been on Celebrity and doesn't realize the whole industry has changed. Carnival does have twin/king bedding configuration. Others have undersized twin/queen.

Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Golden Princess 10-22-2005
Crown Princess 10-27-2006
Crown Princess 9-15-2007
Caribbean Princess 5-2-2010
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:34 PM
md lady

You are about to enter another world that you will not believe!! The newer ships are amazing, like a grand hotel! If Victory is as other C ships and I'm sure it is - the ship, food, service, shows will keep you in awe! You will be so spoiled you won't want to come home. Tell her the Big Red Boat fails to compare to any ship floating today!!
Happy sailing and enjoy every moment!!
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:38 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Put us at ease....

Those are exactly the words I wanted to hear...er..I mean see

Thanks so much everyone!

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:49 PM
elationismyship

Sounds like a constant complainer to me, nothing you say is going to help . . . . I hope so, but doubt it. Hopefully she'll be blown away - which she should however if she doesn't you need have a plan B set up - if it's driving you crazy now, it's only going to magnify on the ship. Plan B can be as easy as, when she starts complaining, tell her you need to go jog or something such as this to get away. Or the best way is to confront her so that she possibly stops before the cruise.

The ship will blow you away, totally - and hopefully her too so there won't be a problem.
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:59 PM
md lady

Or Plan C....Take me...I won't complain! Just jokin' !!
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM
jaime

i sailed on the disney magic the inaugural year. the big red boat was still in business. it was parked next to the disney magic. it was like pulling up to a old rusted tub!!!! i am not kidding either. that is all i could think about and how i felt sorry for the people getting on the red boat!!! i just went on the glory last month. it was parked next to the magic. i didn't feel the glory was anything less than the magic. the magic is one of the most beautiful ships i have seen!!! the glory was so beautiful. the victory is one of carnival's newer ship too right. she will love it and so will you!!!!
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:02 AM
First Mate

I'm thinking you guys are right - she is going to be shocked when she sees this ship and stop her complaining right then and there.
I am not easily impressed, but the pictures of these ships amaze me and hey, if she wants to complain on MY vacation, then by the looks of it there are plenty of things to keep me entertained on this ship

I sent her a bunch of pics this evening and if I hear one word after that, plan C is in action, md lady, you are coming with me!

LMAO at the rusted tub analogy - thats what I have heard from some other people too. There is just no comparrison of the two ships. Must be why they arent in business anymore!

Thanks again,
Carey

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Victory is freakin awesome. Don't know what else to say about it! If someone doesn't think this ship is nice, they won't be happy on ANY ship!

Valor Westside!
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I toured the Victory when she first came out in 2000. It was a very pretty ship and it was big! The cabins, as on all Carnival ships, (someone stated this already) are on average larger then the other major cruise lines. I was on the Big Red Boat as well years ago and you can't compare the two. They are really different. The BRB was a classic ship and some people like that. Sometimes an older ship has a certain charm to it. The Victory on the other hand is a floating resort with many amenities. It like a mini Las Vegas or a Caribbean resort at sea. Don't worry you will have a great time and tell your friend that too.

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:46 AM
venice

I've been on both, no comparision..your problem is going to be that once she finishes this cruise, she's going to want to try another greater cruise experience so you might as well go ahead and book the the Queen Mary 2 penthouse suite now

the difference is to compare a 1963 vw beetle with a 2004 new turbo beetle

when she went on the big red boat how old was she ?...did she go with her parents or did she go with an old boyfriend..If she went with an old boyfriend, tell her she now has an awesome boyfriend (you) and an awesome ship. If she was travelling with her parents (i.e. she was a child), tell her "it's not your parent's cruiseline "

have fun, relax, and watch the expression on her face when she first see's the ship...you worries will be over..fyi the "big red" boat in it's heyday was trying to do the "Disney" theme on a shoe string budget, which may have had alot to do with your friend's experiences
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:28 AM
First Mate

She did go with an old boyfrield, maybe thats why shes so bitter

I'm a girl (darn this ambiguous name my parents gave me!) - so I'm not her new boyfriend, but I'm much better company any day of the week!
The Big Red Boat just sounds worse and worse after every post, I love it!
Maybe its better that she has this not-so-great image of the Victory in her head b/c then she will be super happy when she actually sees it and I wont have to listen to her complain for a whole seven days (wow...I'm glad she doesnt read these message boards)
I just realized that I have never even SEEN a cruise ship, much less been in one, so I think I will be too busy picking my jaw up off the floor to worry about her reaction. I know it will be a good one after what everyone has said.

I booked our airfare last night, so we are all set! BRING IT ON!

You guys are all so great! Thanks!

Post Edited (05-14-04 10:30)

Old May 14th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Big Red Boat is to cruising as McDonalds is to fine dining.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:26 PM
venice

sorry for the mix up !! you might want to go to www.cruiseclues.com and print up some of the daily menus and activities sheets so she can see the wide variety of food you can eat and daily activities ..fyi the Victory has a great spa !!!!!

Remember she did not say NO she didn't want to go on the cruise so that's a good sign !!! When anyone throws out objections like that, it's really a sign that there are other reasons and they just want to be convinced.

hope you purchased trip insurance in case she gets cold feet at the last second (smile)

It's not that the BRB was so bad, it's the fact that today's cruiseships are just so different to reflect the change of demographics of the cruising public

plus there are so many passengers on the Victory that both of you will find almost too much to do and no time to complain
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Carey,

If you've never even seen a ship up close, NOTHING compares to your first view. I almost wrecked the car when we got our first glimpse of the Fantasy sitting at Port Canaveral from the Beeline expressway. And then when you get out of your car......

My son and I were just speechless for a few minutes (which is a totally uncommon occurence for us two chatterboxes...) and then broke into a wild dance hugging his other and jumping up and down!!

I'm excited for you and your friend!! Have a blast.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:44 PM
hahahahahah

the big red boat was a big red disaster it was the prolly one of the worst ships ever built, it was so small, i was on the Royal Carribean nordic empress which is just 46,000 tons or so, a very small ship by todays standards and the "big red" boat pulled up next to us and didnt even compare our ship was much bigger, now imagine the carnival victory which is 4 times the size the nordic empress, dont worry your gonna have a blast, your not gonna wanna leave
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Denise H

go and enjoy your self have some fun its your vaction you worked hard for itlet her complain she s the one not going to have any fun she will just bring herself down
don't listen to her leave your troubles at the pier have fun