Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Staceysch

Default Re: Re: kids armbands

Touch sensitivity is a condition. For example my daughter might get annoyed at a shirt scratching and she actually will get a rash. It has happened. I won't bore you with the technical stuff but it doesn't have to do with not being able to control your child. The nerves of these child are very sensitive.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM
KSLINKS

Default Re: kids armbands

Why you would justify such a stupid remark with a question is beyond me, don't you see JeanS is getting off by putting you down!!!
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:44 PM
SusanE.

Staceysch--

Touch sensitivity is real-- a lot of children have sensory issues, to noise, smells, touch, etc. A small thing (to us) can seem like a huge thing to a child who has these issues. Good for you for being a sensitive mother! And thank you for being classy in your remarks, trying to educate another person about this condition.

I am so glad that we are in a new era of parenting, that considers children to be real people, with real feelings, and that parents and children are on a journey together. Yes, some things are still iron-clad, but we as parents don't need to rule with iron fists. Being responsive and loving to your child is a hard job, let's hear it for loving mommies!
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Admiral

I am the mommy, you are the kid.... OK... in a perfect world.... but when you have a child with a disorder... completely different ball of wax ! As someone mentioned above, there are MANY disorders that face humans everyday... is it more noticeable now than when our parents were parents (Im 37 for the record) ? Maybe so... but maybe its because there are now more studies and criteria to define these disorders. That doesnt mean kids from the 40s or 50s didnt have disorders...it just means no one knew how to diagnose it ! This is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine, because we deal with these issues DAILY !! Every human, be it child or adult does not fit into 1 giant mold ! It would be a boring world if we were all the same.... some of us just need more understanding & help to survive this wordly jungle than others !

Back to the subject of armbands, if we had traveled when my son was younger... Im sure it wouldve been a problem.... who wouldve won the battle ? Glad I didnt have to find out.... my hearts are with you parents who have the children of a different feather.... (birds of a different feather).... its not an easy task.... but you will be rewarded someday for your love & kindness ! ok... off my soapbox now....

Steph
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Well, ksklinks, you may think that all I want to do is put people down, but apparently you don't think this is an important enough issue to warrant discussion. I think if someone's child *does* have "touch sensitivity", they would be clever enough to come up with some sort of solution to the problem where they COULD wear this device which just might save their life and/or reunite them w/their family if they were to become separated.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about anything critical happening, but it's a different world this days now, isn't it???

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:09 PM
HOSKI

Wow, this did get hot and heavy since I checked it last. I can not believe this has become such a problem with so many. I guess I'm one who always likes to plan and prepare and worries too much but if something happen to the only child I struggled so hard to carry, I honestly think I would die of heartbreak. I'm sorry I think the wristband is just a simple thing that can prevent a disaster. I didn't think it was really a personal choice since it is the cruise line's and coast guard's rule but I guess in the end all things come down to a personal decision.

I would just like everyone to stop arguing over the safety of their children. No one who has posted above would put their child in danger. If they would then they wouldn't bother reading or replying to this post.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:27 AM
spike

I beleive that if Carnival made the wristbands comfortable and cool looking, the kids would want to ware them!!!! There are a lot of adults on board that are totally clueless that cuold benifit from am wristband. Some kids by 10 years old are more with it than most adults finding their muster station.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
SusanE.

Ha ha! You are right about that!

It would be nice if Carnival did try to make them more appealing looking to kids, with colorful characters on them or something. Also, the edges (at least my daughter's was) were quite rough. I can see a kid (any kid) not wanting to wear this thing that is rough, constricting and not friendly looking at all. Carnival has that character guy, the phallic looking red thing-- maybe they could put him on the wristbands and kids would like it better. Or make them sparkly or something. Maybe we should contact Carnival with our ideas.
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:43 PM
HOSKI

Now this is more productive. Lets work on creating a fun, comfy ID/band for Carnival. Things we have to consider is that it must not be easily removed, cheap to produce and appealling to kids. (don't mind my spelling)
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:02 AM
VTJen

When we went to an all-inclusive resort in Aruba we all had to wear wristbands for the entire week. We were a group of 8 and had pre teens and teens. After the first few minutes everyone was having so much fun that the band was not mentioned or even noticed. I've worked in a school system and know all about differences in children, a lot of it comes from parenting, others are true disorders.

Sometimes if children are well prepared ahead of time of a situation they might not, like but is non-negotiable) it helps them cope a little better. They might not like the fact they have to wear it any better, but at least the initial shock and consequences would have been addressed at home. Many kids don't like to wear seatbelts or be buckled in car seats, but those should be non-negotiable parts of everyday life. Safety is always a must, especially in places where children are not in their normal element.

The bottom line is you must do what you think is best for your family. Regrets are always harder to live with than and forget. Twenty years from now you probably won't remember your child's whining about following a safety rule - ie. holding your hand while crossing the street, but if you didn't insist and your child darted ahead of you across the street into the path of a car I bet that memory would never go away.

Some battles with kids are worth fighting, others are not.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM
HOSKI

VTJen...well said and thank you.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:43 PM
SusanE.

You are right, VTJen. It does help out when children are prepared for the wristbands and they know what to expect, and what the expectations of them will be. Perhaps Carnival would help out by letting parents know about the wristbands when a child's trip is booked, along with other helpful kid-friendly information.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: kids armbands

We are sailing Nov. 21 on the Fantasy with 2 other couples. In total we will have 9 children under the age of 8. Any suggestions, do's, don't, helpful hints, etc. Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:14 PM
SusanE.

The kid's club looked great on our cruise. The kids all looked like they were having a great time. Personally I didn't use it because my daughter was too young (under 2).

Take it from all of us-- let 'em know in advance about the wristbands!
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

I've cruise twice under the age of 12 and never had to wear an arm/ankle band.. is it just on Carnival?

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!