Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default kids armbands

Is it true they have the children wear armbands the entire trip with their muster station on it? This will drive my son CRAZY!!!!!! When we go to amusements parks it is the first thing that has to go when we leave. Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: kids armbands

Yes they do

Old May 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

It depends on the age of your children. All children under 12 must wear them.
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Gianna S.

Default Re: Re: kids armbands

Yes they do. God forbid anything ever happened he would be brought to the correct muster station. It drove my 3 year old nuts, he did get used to it by the time the cruise was over and he ended up not wanting to take it off. Too funny. Happy cruising!!!!!!
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM
sis&I

Yes, they did on the FANTASY also.
I did however see some kids wore them on their ankle.

Old May 17th, 2004, 04:51 PM
SusanE.

My daughter was 21 months when we sailed with her, and they put hers on her ankle. It came off easily, and we just took it off. There wouldn't have been any situation where she wouldn't have been with any member of the family, and the band would have made her miserable.

I kept it in my pocket, though.
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Gianna S.

That's a great idea with the ankle thing, wish I knew that then, he got used to it like I said earlier. My friends are going in 2 weeks with their 2,4, and 7 year olds I'll have to let her know about the ankle thing. Happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

my son (10) wore his wristband out. he didn't like the idea at first, but up until the time it disintegrated it didn't seem to really bother him.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Baystate

My son who was seven promptly removed his wristband. I told him that I would be getting him a new one that night, but I completely forgot. He was never out of the sight of my husband or myself so finding his muster station wouldn't have been an issue. In fact on our cruise there were quite a few kids running around without them.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:27 PM
HOSKI

PLEASE wear the wristband. This is policy and a safety issue. Just imagine if there was an emergency and your child got separated from you during a rush of rude passengers. When younger our daughter wore it on her ankle and it did come off easily but we put it back on. If you use babysitting at all then your child will we away from you and there are just so many "maybes" of how a child could get separated during an emergency. Also, in port if your child got separated in a crowd anyone would know that your child belonged to the ship and could be properly returned.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Gee, Baystate, what else do you forget about that concern's your kid's safety?

These things aren't just for games, God forbid something happens and your kid isn't with you (7 year olds don't always stay where they're supposed to!), someone would know where he belongs. Think about it.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Passenger

My child was never without a member of the family . . . . to repeat what HOSKI said, it's about getting you and your child back together in case of an emergency. What if there was an emergency and your child was seperated from you . . . . these things happen even when the child was with you at first. I can't believe any parent would allow their child to be without the bracelet.

"The bracelet was in my pocket" - yeah that's going to help when you child gets seperated.

As far as the ankle - it's only for 2 and under that they allow the bracelet to be worn on the ankle. When my child's wore out, I promptly got a new one.

Sorry to get on my soap box but I can't believe any parent would not follow this simple, easy step in making sure their child was in the correct Muster station in case of an emergency. My daughter didn't want to wear it either but "not an option" means "not an option" in our house.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Good for you, Elation!! A true parent!!! It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM
SusanE.

Oh give me a break.

Yeah, the bracelet was in my pocket, and my child (who is extemely clingy) was attached to either me or a member of my family the whole trip. We travel in a pack, so unless some crazy passenger or pack of passengers somehow mowed us all over in a mad rush to get to the buffet, and somehow managed to disengage my daughter from us, yes, she would have been separated. Then her instant "MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY" alarm would have started, and we would be reunited. If she were a different child, or my traveling companions had been different, of course I would have kept the band on her. We didn't use the babysitting, she was always with us. She's not a "wandering child".

Every parent makes the best decision for the safety and well-being of their family.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Well, sure, in a perfect world, there would be no disasters or emergencies, and we would always know where our children are, and they would be safe, and there would be no child molesters, etc., etc., etc. But that isn't the real world...

The cruiselines give us a simple device to make sure YOUR children are safe. In the event of some unforeseen disaster, your child would have been even safer....I think to remove such a simple device is irresponsible, but of course that is your decision....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Baystate

Jean S,

You make certain assumptions and are quite insulting on top of it. There isn't any need to make such judgements from one post. All I did was relay what happened on our cruise. That was our first cruise and the fact is that I did forget , and while it is true that anything can happen, our children were never from our sight. We didn't send them to Camp Carnival, and they are quite well behaved so they understand that when we are out somewhere they are to stay right by our sides.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Yes, they do....and they are a requirement....by the US coast guard on any kid 11 or younger. Just think what would happen if your kid was with someone in Camp Carnival or wherever and there was an emergency and they couldn't figure out where to take him/her to safety and to you. I wouldn't want anything to happen to our daughter and she was required to wear it the entire cruise in March (she's 10) but she also knew where we were and vice versa and where the actual muster station was too. I would hate for someone child to be lost during an emergency. We considered that armband a lifeline for our daughter so in the case that something did happen she would be able to or someone would be able to get her to the correct area and back to us.

Seems a hassle to wear them but they will save their lives. Our children are so precious and taking just one chance can mean losing them altogether.

Post Edited (05-24-04 19:49)
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:36 PM
kimmiesue

I know that the armband will not be a problem for our little one, she loves bracelets, but it is amazing how insulting people are over everything they don't understand or agree with. I would find it extremely embarrassing if it was me who was making statements about someone elses parenting in one sentence and in the next ridiculing them. I absolutely love the statement "Every parent makes the best decision for the safety and well-being of their family " and think some people should really take some time to think about it. It would make you a happier person and much less angry!
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Good quite, Kimmiesue, I also like the one from Helen:

Seems a hassle to wear them but they will save their lives. Our children are so precious and taking just one chance can mean losing them altogether

Maybe we should stop and think of that one also...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:15 AM
SusanE.

I think this exchange says a lot about how much risk one feels comfortable with. I was unaware that the coast guard says this is a requirement for children under 11, and that is important to know to keep the ship following the rules (that's why I kept it in my pocket lest my muster station person would get in trouble). However, when one assesses risk, one evaluates the possibility of complete disaster with comfort level. How certain was I that our child would never be out of the sight at least 2 of her adult family members? 100%. How uncomfortable did that make me knowing that she was not wearing an armband? Not very. I was comfortable with that level of risk.

Of course, there are unforeseeable things, but barring an alien attack, I felt pretty good.

Am I a person that takes a lot of risks? Am I a bungee-jumpin', filterless cigarette smokin', motorcycle ridin' with no helmet type? Nope-- I wear sunblock, my seatbelt, and try my hardest to keep food from being kept at unsafe temperatures, just for starters.

We just are different folks, with different levels of risk acceptance. And thank goodness for us all-- we keep life interesting.
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Staceysch

Wow! Can't believe all the controversary. I actually have a daughter who is touch sensitive. Everything itches her. I have problems with her and clothing also- everything has to be cotton and very soft. Last year on the Disney cruise, we attached it to her necklace that she wore around her neck with the her room card. This seemed to work and noone said anything. I think we should all be a little tolerant of each other. All the people who have this superior attitude are probably the ones whose children wonder around without supervision (this is a pet peeve of mine).
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM
lt

That's exactly what happens when there's an emergency...........people make a mad dash for safety............did you see the Titantic movie? Nobody cares who they runover. It only takes a second to have a childs hand knocked out of a parent's grip and be trampled by a mob.
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:34 PM
SusanE.

Should we really base decisions on scenes from Titanic?

I'm the King of the World! Now where's my armband?
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had no idea that I would start such a discussion by asking this question. The more I read postings the more I thought of something else. If there were an emergency and my child was near someone that could help him, I would hope that they would do what was necessary rather than trying to find where all the children are to meet their parents. I would hope that we would be together in case of an emergency but I would surely want him to be safe whether he was with me or a total stranger. This is just another thought.
By the way, I will make sure he does wear his armband. He is 9 yrs old so it may take some convincing that he isn't being treated like the little ones!
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Should we really base decisions on scenes from Titanic?

Well that is what caused alot of the current lifeboat laws. When 1500 people perish then I guess laws do change. Seems something terrible has to happen before anything is done about something. I'm for prevention personally. And I don't think the Titanic sinking and 1500 people dieing is a laughing matter...but that is my opinion. And that Titanic movie is way off base from what actually happened. Most people didn't even go for the lifeboats...they thought heck it was temporary. And there was no organization to load them and they loaded them half full in some cases.

And who cares how the band is worn..as long as the parents are comfortable with however it is worn or not worn then it doesn't matter. Each parent and family is different. What is good for one child may not be good for another one.

Post Edited (05-25-04 17:08)
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:01 PM
SusanE.

Hey Helen--

I was referring to decisions made based on a Hollywood disaster movie (that would be silly)-- not the historic facts learned from the actual events. Sheesh!

"I'm the King of the World" is a quote from the film, in case you were curious.

You guys are great fun for someone who enjoys rattling cages a bit. Hilarious! !
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Staceysch

Helen is right- what is good for one kids is not good for another. Like I said before get off your superior attitude. Like I said before, the people who say they always follow the rules blah blah, let their kids roam the ship all day and night.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Sweeping remark Staceysch - The point here is that everyone can have their own opinions and do whatever they want with the armbans - and you eluded to this in your "what is good for one kids is not good for anothers. . . " however your assumption of "rule followers let their kids run this ship" state the fact that you yourself have a superior attitude -- your remarks were off base and reflect the very attitude that we're trying to avoid on these posting boards.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Staceysch

Sorry if I offended anyone. Ir was unintentional. I just feel that children should wear their armbands but I can definitely relate to having problems getting a child to wear them (I have a touch sensitive child). I thought people were getting nasty and unfortunately I got drawn into it. It is just a pet peeve of mine when I see kids unsupervised all day and night and I didn't mean to act superior. Nobody is perfect. Sorry
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Admiral

"touch sensitive"???

This is a new one to me....and I know many people are going to take offense, but is this just another phrase for parents not being able to control their kids??

Adults, you are the parents, and minors, you are the children....I don't recall my parents asking me what I wanted and did not want to do, and no amount of whining and crying was going to get them to change their mind if they knew they were doing the right thing...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore