Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cozumel - Tulum tour?

Will be leaving on Fascination on Labor Day....Can anyone give me info on Tulum tour in Cozumel? (Cost, Is tour worth it?, etc...) Also, can you book your own excursion on your own and expect to get back to the ship in time? Any help is appreciated, as this will be my first cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cozumel - Tulum tour?

We haven't been ourselves...but we had tablemates who went and loved it. We also heard from others that they really enjoyed it. There is a beach down below the ruins that you can get to that is beautiful. Hopefully, others will help with your other questions.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:07 PM
clayb

I would NOT recommend the Tulum ruins from Cozumel. Cozumel is an island and the ruins are on the mainland. There is a 45-55 minute bumpy ferry boat ride to the mainland, then a 1-2 hour bus ride to the ruins. I took the ferry from the mainland once and that's the only time I ever came close to being seasick.....

The best way to do Tulum would be if the ship docks at Playa del Carmen. There are ruins on Cozumel Island, however. They are not near as picturesque, but you would still get the history of the Mayan Indians. I hope this helps.

BTW, we'll be sailing the Conquest in November to Cozumela nd can't wait!!

Happy Sailing!
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Shelley Meece

We are going on the Facination as well on Memorial Day! Do you have children that are going? If so what age?
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:35 AM
First Mate

We did Tulum on our first cruise to Cozumel. We're glad we did, as they were unforgettable, but it's a long day. The tour was $90pp in Feb. 03. It is about a 45min. ferry ride to the mainland, which we enjoyed, but if you're prone to seasickness, this ought to do it. Then there's a brisk walk through town and about a 90 bus ride with a stop at a fake jewelry factory on the way. Once at Tulum, another rather long walk back to the ruins unless your group ops for the tram. The ruins themselves are spectacular and the particular beach mentioned above is gorgeous! Caution, watch where you step, there's Iguanas evrywhere. IMO, this is a once in a lifetime must do, but it will take most the day and you'll miss other spectacular attractions on Cozumel. I would NOT attempt this trip with an outside tour company.

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM
jamiegunter

Our friends just got back in March, and they did the tour. THey thought it was
great! Was a very long tour, and they didnt provide anything other than a snack.
So they were pretty hungry when they got back on the ship. I seen her pictures,
looked like a neat place to go.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Passenger

We visited the ruins from the Triumph on May 3, 2004. The cost for the excursion was $79.99pp for adults and $62.99 for children. It rained pretty much while we were there (poured at times) and we still liked it. It is a once in a lifetime experience. The ones who didn't like it are definately in the minority. Yes, there is a 45 minute ferry ride and a 1 hour bus ride w/guide and an obligatory restroom/souvineer stop. Once you get there it is about a 10 minute walk to the ruins or you can ride a shuttle. Don't forget sunscreen and insect repellent! As the kid hawking it at the gate said, "There are much mosquitos back there." Time: you leave at 8AM and get back about 3PM.

Carnival Triumph May 04
Norwegian Dawn Nov 08
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Admiral

We did te Tulum tour on our Feb 99 cruise on the Sensation and absolutely loved the ruins and the views from the ruins. Very bueatiful and alot of the ruins are still there too. The thing we hated was that VERY bumpy ferry ride from cozumel to the mainland (playa del carmen) and then the bus ride to the ruins too.

And the funny thing is (well we laugh about it now!) is that hubby had drinks in the bus (they provided either beer or coke) and drank too much and had to pee really really bad that the bus driver had to actually pull up the a bathroom near the port and drop him off. He got out and the bathroom door was locked!!! So he had to go right there. Luckily the bus dropped us off around the corner in the parking lot. The people on the bus kept giving him plastic cups to pee in ....

So needless to say....they do stop on the way to the ruins halfway BUT they didn't stop halfway on the way back so don't drink alot of free beer or coke!!!!

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Tat

I agree with clayb you should not consider the Tulum tour from Cozumel. The ruins are great, however, they are not worth the rush. There is a beach down the cliff after a 20 minutes walk, but you will not be able to find time to enjoy the water there. I would suggest you wait until a resort trip to Cancun to visit the ruins, but then you may consider the bigger one inland.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the input....I am under the impression that the ruins are spectacular. Just getting there seems to be the hardest part.

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cozumel - Tulum tour?

loanshark---you are completely correct. We were lucky enough to have Playa Del Carmen/Calica as one of our ports, so we went to Tulum from there, rather than from Cozumel. Unbelievable ruins!!! Breathtakingly beautiful!!! Can't say enough about how great they are. Maybe you could book a cruise sometime that goes to Calica/PDC and go to the ruins then?? Just a thought.