Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Passenger

Default Airline cost rising?

Rumor has it that the flight costs are going to rise dramatically soon. Has anyone heard this?

We were waiting to book our flight to San Juan for January 16th, thinking that they might go down if the fuel costs go down over the summer. Is this a poor judgement call?

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Airline cost rising?

Wouldn't be surprising considering the cost of fuel.

Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Golden Princess 10-22-2005
Crown Princess 10-27-2006
Crown Princess 9-15-2007
Caribbean Princess 5-2-2010
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Yeoman

i do not have my next cruise untill may of 2005. i am biting my nails thinking the price of flights are going to sky-rocket before i can book the flight in the middle of june. i am going to ''lock''' in too a price that fits my budget as soon as i can. better to possibly get a credit later than pay a much hight price later on.

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

we waited too to book our flight. We started at 159.. We booked ours at $329., no it's over $700. I'm glad we didn't wait much longer!
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Vtkd, if someone knew what fuel costs were going to be after the summer, they would be a very rich person! It is likely that fuel costs are going to remain high, and probably even increase during the summer (that is the usual trend).
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Last "industry report" I read was that they are predicting that fuel costs may rise to over $3.00 a gallon towards the end of the summer. That should make the road trip that I have planned a whole lot of fun - UGH!
If you have found a relatively cheap flight, book it now. Dont forget to check the airlines own sites for deals - so many people miss out by not doing that.

Good luck.

Carey

Old May 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM
SLS

We're going on the Destiny in December. Spirit Air was having a sale on the flights from Orlando so yesterday I booked it. I had been checking everyday and that was the lowest I'd seen it. QIXO.com actually searches all airlines even the discount ones.

sls
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Just a hint - I also use Qixo to search for flights, but then I always book through the airline directly (If possible) since Qixo charges you a $20 per ticket charge. Then you can also get F.F miles from that airline.

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Passenger

i just checked our flight info. It is now $913.90 PP. can you believe that?Book now, don't wait.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

right now our gas is over 95 cents a litre and there are 3.79 litres in a gallon that makes our cost more than 3.60$ a gallon!!! In alot of places in canada gas is already over $1.00 a litre and the worst part is that it is going to get worse!!! We have to drive down to the ports when we cruise its going to end up costing more than the cruises do!

Post Edited (05-18-04 12:44)

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Passenger

our gas prices are from 1.95 to 2.05 a gallon. And we thought we had it bad!!!!!
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:50 PM
First Mate

$913?!!? To where?!!?

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Whiteknight

He who panics is lost. There'll be some great sales this summer and fall regardless of the price of jet fuel. As a matter of fact, some sales hit today and will continue to hit for the remainder of the year due to competition. Airtran and US Air both hit the market with a sale today and the competition won't take that sitting down. I'm located in the middle of the country and today I can fly roundtrip to Seattle and several airports in California for $120 on US Air or one way to Orlando on Airtran for $79 just for an example. Same story, next verse every year regardless of the cost of fuel. There's no need to panic.
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Whiteknight

I have a correction to make to the previous message. The fare sale I referred to was for Airtran and United, and not Airtran and US Air.
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Passenger

We are cruising in March and I, too, have been wondering about airfare. A friend of mine is a retired reporter and keeps right up on politics ... (someone has to, I am too busy reading cruise message boards) and he told me the other day, he wouldn't be surprised to see prices begin to reduce drastically just before the election. Don't know if it will or not, but makes sense to me. However, I am booking soon, probably with AirTran as they are the cheapest here in the Northeast and easiest for me to get to.

Victory 2005
Imagination 2004
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're booked for a June 28 sailing on the Ecstasy from Long Beach, California. We live in the East coast, and I got a great deal from Philadelphia to Los Angeles.

United Airlines had a sale of $198 pp roundtrip, but we have to change planes in Chicago, which is fine with all of us traveling.

My mom's also coming from Puerto Rico to go on the trip, and I paid $97 one way from San Juan to New York. You can't beat the price!!!!
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Passenger

From Charlottesville,VA. to New Orleans.Right high, huh?
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:08 PM
aileenfinkel

we booked our air in Feb for our cruise in Sept on Spirit Air, Detroit to San Juan. We paid 736.80 for the 3 of us back then. It is now up to 1200.00 for same flight. I would book as soon as you find a good deal. I dont think it will go down, but up instead.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for your input. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point, however, thanks to you guys I have more places to look. Our biggest problem is, for whatever reason it is very expensive to fly out of Burlington, Vermont. We might check and see what the cost is to fly out of Montreal. Sometimes that makes a world of difference.

Thanks again everyone, I love this site!

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Whiteknight

Well, I see the Airtran and United sale are over with for this go-around. It was a one day sale. Standby for the next sale!
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:01 PM
stace

I was nervous about the prices rising as well. We called a travel agent yesterday about tickets and she said that she expected them to go down because the airlines are
'due' to run specials. I'm not sure how safe this makes me feel, but I'm going to try holding off for a little longer.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Me too stace, I think I will wait and see and hope for the best.

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Passenger

They are definitely going up. I havea good friend who is a pilot and they have told their airline pilots to expect a DECREASE in people flying since it will be so high over the next year. It will most likely force people to stay at home and do their own vacations within their own states!
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Whiteknight

My uncle is a pilot for AA and he said just the opposite. They are planning sales throughout the year to stimulate business. They have to fill their planes to maximize their profits and they can only fill all their seats with sales.