Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
EDE

Default upgrade advantages?

Our cabins were upgraded 2 decks higher...but tell me...since there is no difference in the actual rooms, what is the advantage of waiting for an upgrade? Less stairs to climb if you're not taking the elevators??? I've done reservations both ways in the past but not sure if there's really an advantage in being "upgraded" particularly if it scatters out rooms for those traveling in groups.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to FlawedAngel
Default Re: upgrade advantages?

I think the general opinion is, the higher up you are the closer to everything you are, but maybe you feel less moving or something, i am not sure, but i agree with you, if the rooms are the same....what is the advantage....i am not sure that two decks makes a difference to me in being closer to everything....

we were on the main deck which was close the purser, but about 2-3 decks from everything else, and it really wasn't that big of deal!
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

Its all a "i was in a category 8E room, as apposed to a 8A" Just a status thing, the more money the room is worth, the more people wanna stay in it. If a range rover was made by Kia and was sold for 25,000 you think it would be as prestegious as is is being made by Land Rover with a price tag over 70K?? The more money, the higher the want.

-Rob
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

We actually got upgraded to a bigger balcony. It was an 8I as opposed to the 8A gty, so it was the same category, same room size, extended balcony, which was 50% larger.
Another advantage, it was really nice being so close to the action on the Lido deck! (Shorter route back to the room in a wet bathing suit too!)

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Yeoman

Sometimes some upgrades really aren't "upgrades". I think the ta is supposed to call you to see if you want this upgrade. Maybe they put you a deck higher, but the location might necessarily be a location on the ship that you want. So personally, I'd check it out before saying yes. Now if I had a window and they wanted to upgrade me to a balcony, I wouldn't hesitate! Course, since we've had a balcony, I couldn't go back to not having one. So I always book what I'll be happy with in the long run in case I don't get an upgrade.
Carnival spoiled us. We booked an ocean view, no balcony and they upgraded us to a balcony. We can't go without since. (I think they knew what they were doing..tee hee)
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

For me, being on the Empress deck is great. Last cruise on Celebration we reserved the Empress Deck. This time on Celebration we book 6A guarantee and were upgraded to Empress. Having only to walk up or down one flight of stairs and not wait for the elevator all the time is worth it. Just makes it easier to run back to the cabin real quick.
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:57 PM
kelly0504

Default Re: Re: upgrade advantages?

I am new to all of this, and I have a question about upgrades. When you get upgrades have you booked straight through Carnival or through a travel agent? How do you go about getting upgrades when you book?

I have been on one cruise and my mom booked it through a TA and we did not get any upgrades. We had a great cruise on the Destiny, but I am looking to book another cruise and want some additional info.

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always book a certain category Guaranteed through a TA. If you book GTY, either through a TA or Carnival, your room isn't assigned until almost the last minute, so you have a better chance of being upgraded.

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Passenger

We booked our first cruise thru Costco and received an upgrade, although I didn't realize it until I started preparing for this cruise. We just told them we wanted a balcony cabin and ended up with a suite, I guess. 8E catagory. This time we booked through Carnival and asked for a balcony and looks like we have a smaller cabin. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Barbara
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

we booked a gty 4 room which is an inside and got bumped up to a 8f which was a balcony so in our case it was a wonderful upgrade!!!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Being scattered is a potential problems. However, as long as grroup is booked together, Carnival will try to keep you together provided they are like cabins. For instance, we have 2 couples with us on the June 8 Legend who have 4A GTY bookings. It appears based on the info on the back of the S&S info card in the docs that they have been upgraded to side by side 5A's. Since we have 8A balconies, it is impractical to try to keep us close to them. But we have been upgraded to an asigned 8I.

Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Golden Princess 10-22-2005
Crown Princess 10-27-2006
Crown Princess 9-15-2007
Caribbean Princess 5-2-2010