Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Sherri G

Default What to do in NY before ship departs...

Planning to take the Miracle on 6/7 to Canada. I'd like to arrive a day early to tour N.Y- Since most hotels require that you check out by noonish, I'm not sure what to do between noon and 7pm. I'm traveling with 2 small kids so i'll have lots of luggage to carry around. Are there any hotels that will allow a late check out for a small fee ?

Help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:22 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: What to do in NY before ship departs...

Most hotels will allow this, but wont let you know if they will grant your request until the morning you are supposed to check out. I stayed at the Hotel 30 30 the last time I was in NY and we were allowed to check out 2 hours late for no charge, but it totally depends on the folks coming into the hotel that day. If they need your room - no late check outs will be granted.
Some hotels will also give you an extra half day for a fee, but again it all depends on their circumstances.

As far as what to do with your bags, you do not need a late check out to leave your bags at your hotel. In all of my experiences, they will hold them for you even after you have checked out. You may also be able to leave them at the pier and then run around the city for a bit.

Hope that helps

Carey

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What to do in NY before ship departs...

I've stayed in lots of hotels in NYC. I get up early call the front desk and ask for a late check out.

Asking to leave your luggage with the conceirge is good advice. Most will do it for a nominal fee.

How small are your kids? What I would do is maybe just hang out in Central Park for few hours or do a simple bus tour
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM
ginamarie

Even if hoyels may not allow you to check out late, a lot of NYC hotels will keep your luggage in their storage room for the afternoon while you sightsee. I live on Long Island, but had this problem when I took the bar exam and had to check out of my hotel early in the morning (before the second day of the exam). I think we wound up paying like $2 a bag (as a tip for the bellhops).

FYI- I'll be on the June 7 Carnival Miracle ship as well!!!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Most hotels, regardless of check out time, will hold your luggage for you - securely. Depending on the time of checkout, when you request a late checkout - you may or may not experience a charge - typically it ranges from nothing/nominal -to a "day rate" or 1/2 day's charge.

Don't fret - just enjoy! (and I do hope you like Canada)