Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sumblonde
Default Weight loss before cruise

I will be going on the Fascination 9/13-9/17. I am trying to lose atleast 50 lbs before I go and I have a little under 4 months til then. Is anyone else trying to lose weight before they cruise and how much are you trying to lose? Does anyone have any weight loss success stories? Any tips for me?

Tina

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Weight loss before cruise

Well Tina, I think you're in same boat as a lot of people. (excuse the pun) I'm always trying to get off 10-15 lbs. YOu may not think that's alot, but it IS to ME. A recent cruise I wanted to lose about 15. I posted what I wanted to do and I ended up getting support from others. Some I kept in contact with and we kept inspiring each other. All of us wanted to lose before our next cruise.
I ended up losing 8 lbs. Wasn't enough, but I was happy that I did what I did! I"m older now, and it's much harder to get off. I'm in my late 30's.
Anyways, I think just going on the cruise is a big incentive! I find it's easier not to put a certain number of pounds you have to lose. It's easier to just take it a day at a time and do the best you can do. Cut back on the sugar and carbs, excercise and have a positive attitude about it all. Think about how wonderful you'll FEEL once you get some weight off. It's also mental. I always feel better mentally as well as physically when I'm eating right. Also, don't think of it as "going on a diet". It's a way you should start eating and taking care of yourself.
I have found that when I cut out sugar, I didn't crave it after about 3 days. My problem was once I went on the cruise, I went back to eating too many sweets and was hard for me to get back to eating the way I was before I went.
I refuse to deprive myself on a cruise!
So now I"m getting off that sugar again and trying to get some more weight off! I have another cruise this year. I want to be proud of myself and want my husband to be proud of the way I look in my bathing suit.

YOU can do it Tina!! You go girl!!

Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Re: Weight loss before cruise

Eat less and move around more...
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Passenger

I think some people use the excuse of going on a cruise to eat, too. I am always amazed at how much people put on their plates. They think since it is included in their price of the cruise, that they must eat, eat, eat.

Don't do that....use the gym on board, use the spa, use the stairs, use the pool.

Cutting out sugar and any of the whites is a good thing and you can continue to do that on the ship that you go on as well. You must make it a way of life..not just a temporary thing. So if you eat that way before you go on the cruise why poison your body with all those sugars and whites when you go on your cruise? The pounds will just pile back on, and I am sure you don't want that.

There are so many greast choices on the ships nowadays. On Carnival and RCCL I KNOW they have no sugar desserts. so endulge in those, they are great. Youwould never know they have no sugar in them.

Make sure you drink a LOT of water, too! That really helps fillyou up if you think you are hungry.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Yeoman

I do agree with go go girl....I forgot to put in that they DO gave sugarless desserts on a cruise. That's what I meant too by not depriving yourself. But I made the mistake of eating way too much sugar and hard to get back on the right track. A big mistake!

My friend that doesn't eat sugar was so impressed with the sugar free desserts they had on the Pride. We went on that one as well. Actually, she was pleasantly surprised with the whole cruise. (sorry, off the topic)

Glad to hear about RCCL sugarless desserts as that is my next cruise.

YOu can also buy sugarless sweets that will help satisfy that sweet tooth. I think it's Russell Stover sp? that has some great chocolate candies that are sugarless.
YOu can also make them with splenda.

I find losing weight to be more difficult for women. My husband says the same thing as Dave..just eat less and excercise. But it's just not that easy sometimes. Yes, it's true, but hard.
So good luck and happy cruisin!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Jaros

We are going on the Glory in October and I too am trying to lose some weight. I have already dropped about 20 pounds and would like to lose another 20 before we go. Bigsky is right so much of losing weight is mental. The cruise is a great incentive for me. I bought a sundress which is just a little tight and I keep it hanging in my bedroom where I can see it. I try and use that visual image to keep me on track. (It's kinda like that commercial on TV with the girl eating yogurt so she can fit into her teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini.) Weight Watchers works great for me. You can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your points range. I don't like a diet that tells me I can't eat certain foods. Weight Watchers is more of a long term lifestyle change than a diet.
But ultimately you have to do what works best for you - everyone is different. I think if you can you get yourself psyched up and picture yourself a little thinner having a great time on that ship you will be on your way to losing those pounds.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm a eat less, move more, make good choices 90% of the time kind of girl. I joined Weight Watchers in Mar 2003 and six months after that I'd lost over 50 lbs! I've kept at it and to date I've dropped a total of 62 lbs and am trying to lose these last pesky 3 lbs before we sail in one month. I will indulge to my heart's content on vacation because I know when I return I can get back on track and lose whatever I gained. My vacation is for total enjoyment and if I want that cheesecake I'll have it.

I totally believe in making good choices--choosing a fruit or veggie over a chocolate, filling up on sides of fresh produce rather than potatos or pasta. I've revamped my entire eating habits and feel better than I ever have. I hit the gym several days/week and am loving the muscle tone I see in my body. It's amazing that I used to get winded going up the stairs, in my TWENTIES!!! My 30th birthday will hit this fall and I look better than I ever have, and weigh less than I did when I was in 7th grade!!

Concentrate on cutting calories, and getting some physical movement everyday. Focus on feeling healthy and the rest will come.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Passenger

I forgot to say that WHY look good for just a cruise or a vacation? I like to be at my personal best ALL the time for my husband and myself. NOT just special occasions. It is fun to stay in shape together, too.

I have tried some of those sugarless candies by Russell Stover. Don't eat too many of them, they will (or can for some people) cause horrible gas pains in your abdomen. Not a fun thing to endure. So as with everything, eat in moderation. Just because it is sugarless doesn't mean it is always good for you.

But when you go on your cruise, sumblonde, take some things along with you that you enjoy munching on that won't cause you to gain the weight. Just make wise choices, enjoy yourself and have fun!

Many people do not take advantage of ships facilites and I am always amazed at that. They have no idea what they are missing out on! Enjoy using the gym! It is so much fun. And then wehen you do have somethng that is decadent, you won't feel guilty eating it!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:16 PM
jamiegunter

I joined weight watchers last September, I have lost 46 pounds and now I am on maintence. It is the easiest thing I did! We just got back from a cruise with Celebrity, and it was so fun going skinny! Biggest thing is watching how many calories you take in. I actually somehow lost .6 pounds on our cruise.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Sumblonde,my wife and I are going on our first cruise in Jan./05 (Valor) and we decided to lose some weight. Well my wife lost 17 lbs. not having very much to lose any way. So far I have lost 63 lbs.having had much more to work with. The true test will be the actual cruise itself if what I hear about the food is true.We used the South Beach diet and can recommend it without reservation.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:50 PM
misssea

Sumblonde, I will be cruising next April. I joined LA Weight Loss and so far have lost 17 pounds since March. A few years back I lost 40 but went back to old habits and gained it all back. So now I have 26 pounds to go. You'll notice that you gain more energy as you lose which may motivate you further, plus the fact that you'll look better. Good luck with it!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Sea Girl

No matter how much weight you loose, plan on gaining 3 to 7lbs. on a 7 night cruise.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Yeoman

Well, I personally think each person is different as far as gaining. The most I've gained is 3 lbs. I've also lost a few lbs. as well.
YOu have so many things to do to keep you busy. During the day, we're always on the run doing different activities at port.

Just remember, the weight you put on, you have to take it off when you get home. That may be no biggy to some.
Like I said before, I don't deprive myself either. But I also think how hard it was to get off in the first place.
Just use some common sense while you're on the ship.

THe best of luck to you. I know it's not easy, but YOU can do it! I"m right there with you.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
antoinette

sumblonde, ME too Girl... at least 50lbs!!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Whatever you do with your eating habits, you HAVE to exercise. There's no getting around it. I joined a gym on a limited membership (3 days/week for $20/month). When it's warm, I ride a bike on the alternate days. Do a lot of weight training to tone your muscles and increase your metabolism. This is the only way to have longterm weight loss. Plus, if you tone up what you already have, you'll look better with less weight loss than losing a lot of weight but still being flabby.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sumblonde

Thanks for all the tips you guys. I will be starting back to the gym and walking on the treadmill. I will also start back on Weight Watchers because when I did it before it was so easy and I lost 5 lbs my first week and 3 more the second week and then stuff came up and I stopped going but I'm more motivated now to get this weight off. Not only because of this cruise but because I am only 21 and it's only gonna get harder to get off as I get older. I also want to have a baby within the next couple of years (I've been married 4 years, together 8 years w/ my hubby) and I want to be one of those glowing skinny pregnant women with the big belly :-) and I also want to be healthy for me and my baby. I also want to feel good about myself as I have not in years. I am gonna start Weight Watchers tomorrow (on my own at first, I have all the material, don't have the extra $ right now for the meetings) and I will keep yall posted on my weight loss and if anyone else wants to post their weight loss, please go ahead.

Thanks again for all the tips, I will be doing it the healthy way with a healthy eating plan, lots of water, and lots of exercise.

:-) Tina

Post Edited (05-23-04 12:42)
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Tina

I've been going to the gym and working with a personal trainer. I've found having the trainer makes me go to the gym. If I didn't have the appointment I'd find a million reasons not to go. So far it's working for me. Also, I just got back from a cruise in April and lost a pound. I used the stairs a lot instead of the elevators and most of our shore excursions had some type of activity and I only had dessert at dinner. Good luck!

Darcy