Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Default GPS systems?

I've read that many men like their GPS systems on cruises. My question: what exactly do you do with them? I mean.... Father's Day is coming up. Might be a neato gift for my husband, but I can't figure out why he would want it!

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: GPS systems?

Global Positioning lets you determine exactly where you are. If you need GPS on a cruise, you really need a life ........

Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Golden Princess 10-22-2005
Crown Princess 10-27-2006
Crown Princess 9-15-2007
Caribbean Princess 5-2-2010
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:43 AM
WMeda

I'm bringing mine. It'll be fun to glance at it to knwo exactly where we are at any given point in time.

t's main purpose though is to use in the car to be sure that we get we are going with ease and without the need for maps. One of those unnecessary devices that makes life a little easier.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Passenger

We have on that attaches to the laptop. It will show you on a map where you are, how fast you ar going and you can also see what Island or land mass that you may be looking at from your balcony.

Now for those who are about to say, you bring a laptop? Yes, For three reasons 1) download pictures from the Digital Camera... 2) On the flight & or road trip to the Cruise.....Kids can watch DVD movies... 3) GPS..
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

I rest my case ......

Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Golden Princess 10-22-2005
Crown Princess 10-27-2006
Crown Princess 9-15-2007
Caribbean Princess 5-2-2010
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:24 AM
venice

Ouch !!!! if I may, I would like to offer a different approach to your question. If your husband is the type of person that enjoys mapping things out, he would enjoy a GPS system for father's day (or if he doesn't always trust the directions that others give when he has to stop to ask directions) and can use it for many functions whether he takes it on your cruise or not. I'm of the school of thought that when I go on a cruise I leave my watch, palm pilot, laptop, and advise my neighbor only to contact me if something happens to my mother. However, my son is an F-15 pilot, owns a GPS (which I gave him when he graduated from the Air Force Academy (that's what he wanted) and takes it everywhere with him including when he went on his latest cruise

So you might throw out some hints to your husband to see if it might be what he wants..or stop at a high end car dealer and test drive a car that comes with a high tech GPS system and see how much he plays with the system (he'll let you drive while he navigates)
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: GPS systems?

Thank you for the information, everyone!

Sheila

Carnival Legend, Western Carribean

Old May 30th, 2004, 09:53 AM
DavidW

Sheila,
If your husband hunts or fish any big waters or rivers, the GPS can come in handy for him. I do own one,and they are neat to have.
I have friends that have taken theres on several cruises, but I do not. If it wasn't for my wife, I wouldn't even take my cell phone.

Happy Cruising;
David
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Passenger

THE MIRCLE HAS GPS ON ALL THE CABIN TV'S ALL THE TIME. ALSO HAS A MAP SHOWING YOU WHERE YOU (THE SHIP) ARE AND WHATS AROUND YOU. I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE ONLY SHIP THAT HAS IT OR NOT. IT'S PRETTY COOL. ANYBODY ELSE SEEN THIS?
BRIAN