Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
4 FUN

Default PLaya Del Carmen & Cozumel Tours

I am sailing in "8 DAYS" on the Holiday. Is it better to book Chaukanuub Park w/ Carnival or do it on our own when we get off ship? How is the snorkleing there, we have some diehard snorklers, don't want them to be too disappointed. Also has anyone been to Xel Ha before? I have been to the Tulum Ruins (LOVED IT) but not Xel Ha. How up to date are the shore excursions that are listed on the Carnival.com site?

Thanks,
DC

DON'T WORRY...... BE HAPPY!!!

Ecstasy 97
Imagination 01
Holiday 04
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Pam Z

Default Re: PLaya Del Carmen & Cozumel Tours

Just got back and did the park on my own. Cab fee is $10.00 per car and park was $12.00 per person. I don't know what the ship offers. Nice place. Went to Play Del Sol last time. Beach is nicer but no snorkling and no dolpihns and no park. Just a nice beach. Its good if you like all alchol included in the ships prices
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Yeoman

I was on the Holiday in April, and should still have the carnival capers, and shore excursion sheet. If there is something specific, like price or times or ship excursions, I could check for you. I've not been to Xel-ha but heard many good things about it, and the snorkeling there was fantastic. We are going to Riveria Maya in June for week all inclusive at the Xcaret Grand and I was thinking of going to Xel-ha. The Holiday docks at the Calica dock, and it is nothing buy a stone quarry. They have lots of taxi's and the tour busses, and rental cars if you want to do anything on your own. We ended up staying until 10:00PM at night. You will have a great cruise. Let me know if you need anymore info, or you can e-mail me direct.

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Leila

We are on the Holiday for June 5th. Is that the time you are going? I haven't found anyone else that is going at that time and thought my family would have it too ourselves. We haven't decided about excursions either, but we do want to snorkel. If you don't mind email me and let me know what you find out. thanks,
Leila
Petal, MS
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM
HOSKI

Love Chakanaab in Cozumel, do it on your own.

Could the poster who offered the excursion prices provide me with the adult and child price for Playa Sol? Hubby want to do this since beverages are included.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
rossty

For the best deal, rent a Jeep and head towards the beaches past Punta Sur. A rental may cost around $80, get the insurance and you can get 4 to 5 in it. I recommend the restaurant next to the Mexican "K Mart" at the end of the coastal road. How do I know?
I worked for Carnival for three years and always took a moped there. But if you bike,
be careful!! One crew member was actually killed in an accident. The speed
bumps arent always obvious, and if its the wrong season, the undertow is deadly.
Stay close to shore but Cozumel has some of the best secluded beaches in the world!
Also, most crew mebers will drink at "No Name Bar". The owner is a former cruiser
and one helluva nice guy!
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:03 PM
bmh

Default Re: Re: PLaya Del Carmen & Cozumel Tours

Any suggestions about where to rent jeeps? we would need 5 of them..Are they all sticks? Would we need a guide and could we rent for half a day? Do you have any info on the new Paradise beach club and if so would you recommend that over Playa Sol and Chankanaab? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Family group ranges from 11 years old to 60 who like snorkeling, activities, and drinking.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Pam Z

I think Play Del Sol was like 39.oo for adults but you have to pay cab fee also. There is a nice beach and a pool and all the beverage you can drink so if you like that its worth it. Alcohol adds up quick on the boat! So enjoy! Can't remember the childs price or age! Sorry
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Passenger

We are avid snorklers too and have spent a lot a time in Cozumel and Akumal (North of Tulum). Cozumel is one of my favorite places (after Bonaire)-for snorkeling. We snorkeled right off our hotel "beach" and the coral and fish were outstanding (we were at the Coral Princess) Neither my husband or I thought much of Chaukanuub Park but it might have just that one day-far too hot, far too far to walk, far too many people. I don't even remember snorkeling there!

By far one of our favorite day was spent at Xcaret park. We had a hard time chosing between Xcaret and Xel-ha because Xel-ha is said to have better snorkeling. We went to Xcaret because we had a wide age group to satisfy-and it did. If you want to snorkel with cow-sized turtles and other big fish-try to get to Akumal.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:45 PM
HOSKI

Glad to hear Xcaret is good, we have reservations there.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Passenger

People call it disneyland-it is not-although the entrance was humming with butterflies collecting on some sort of bush that made it look like a neon sign. Beautiful landscaping, a lot to see (including a panther) Be sure to save time for the rope swing over the lagoon-boy is that fun! I wouldn't do the cave snorkel again-too crowded and not a lot to see. Have fun-I'm jealous!