Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:54 PM
patticake

Default royal carribean or carnival

this is my last question for tonight, really. we were looking at rccl and carnival for summer of 2005 with our daughters, son in law, and 4 grandchildren. i finally sold myself on carnival but in the last week or so am a little worried about what i am hearing about the food(being refused all kinds of things that are promised in brochure and advertised), the rudeness of staff when asking for simple things, like another pillow, or ice, or a towel, or room service never showing up, the condition of theships(specifically the triumph) and other little things which will make this first cruise for our children and grandkids, not a pleasant vacation. i have heard that carnival is more of a party atmosphere and rccl is a little more elegant, a little more refined, food better, (more choices). of course it is more expensive too and that was another reason we decided to go with carnival. we probably will not do this again and want it to be memorable and notsay gee i wish we had gone with the other cruise line. of course i have heard loads and loads of wonderful things about carnival too. help me out here with some impujt. thanks patticake
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: royal carribean or carnival

Hi patticake, I will answer why I chose Carnival for our family vacation. The slide, the 24 hr.pizzeria,with caesar salads,a new ship(Valor) for a reasonable price that has bigger Inside rooms than other lines.I particularly like our itinerary. The age groups seem suitable for us in Camp Carnival(6-8) & (13-15). I have only ever been on Princess once without husband & kids. We almost chose an All-Inclusive but finally decided on a cruise. I am excited to cruise with the whole family and as you read from the boards:you can always have a good, fun time if you want to. We are not a hoity-toity family;as long as our stateroom neighbours are not too noisy it will be a great cruising(barring any abnormal situations!!) My children would not like to climb a climbing wall (on RCCI) too often , but the slide on Carnival looks fabulous!!! I guess it depends what features you are looking for on the ship etc. I know it is a hard decision-post and let us know what you decide!!
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Patticake, you c an and will read reviews from folks that do not like all ships. I can tell you that CCL gives you the most bang for the buck and is our favorite over many other lines and we have done over two dozen cruises now with about 15 being on CCL. Don't worry, just enjoy yourself.
Jim

Old May 29th, 2004, 02:23 PM
SLS

I think you should pick the port you want to cruise out of and the itinerary you are interested in and then compare the ships from both Carnival and RCCL that go to those places. From all your questions and hesitations I don't think you will be happy on anything but a newer ship. You are talking about a cruise that is a year away. No one can make gaurantees that far out, there will probably be a total staff change over by the time you cruise.

I have been on 3 different Carnival cruise ships in the last 6 months from the oldest to one of the newest and never had any of the problems you are worried about. The food was good, the staff friendly and attentive.

You are going to get what you pay for. An older ship is cheaper but will have some wear and tear. It's hard to clean stains in cabins when there is only a few hours between guest departure and arrival.

sls
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Yeoman

Well, can't speak for RCCL since this year will be our first time. I can speak for Carnival. But you do have to remember that everyone has their own opinion. What one might like, another may hate. I've been on many Carnival cruises. I love them!! I haven't experienced any rude people on board. Mind you that doesn't mean you will never encounter someone having a bad day. They're only human. But that can happen on RCCL as well. I"m sure there's things that people can find good and bad about both. But to say Carnival has horrible food and rude people, that's not true. Why do you think people keep going back to them? (us included)
You do get a lot for your money. If you're concerned about an older ship, why not go on a newer one? Especially, if you probably won't be going on another one. I'd opt for a newer one. But if you can't afford a newer one, I'm sure you'll still have a great time. Especially if you don't have one to compare it to. Would be harder to go from a new one to an old one.
As far as the party atmosphere, I didn't think so. We're not that type and didn't feel out of place at all. There are many places that you can go and have fun. Join in or not join in on certain activities. So don't think there's nothing to do since you don't party.

This is just my opinion.
Happy cruisin'!