Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Embarkation

Okay - I just have to share this - I have had a VERY bad stressfull week and as a result, I always seem to have stress filled dreams. Just last night, I had a dream that I was on my cruise, but went straight to my cabin and fell asleep. When I woke up, it was the next morning and I missed the "sailing away", which is something I've always wanted to see (you know, when you first sail away from land and in the movies people wave and stuff). I'm sure no one will be waving, but it want to experience it anyway

So, in light of my silly dream, I was wondering if there was a warning or someting, an announcement maybe, that the ship is about to move and sail away? Also, is the safety drill held before or after we have set sail?

I really need to try some relaxation techniques before bed time!

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Princess Emma

Default Re: Embarkation

When I was a Purser on the Paradise, we used to dock with the Victory in Miami,
they used to sail about 20 minutes after us. You will usually start sailing just after the boat drill so you'll be out on deck anyway. You'll here the announcement for the boat drill and you'll sail around 30-40 mins after that

have fun.....and say Hi to the Golf Pro, Jon for me!
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:38 PM
George Alex

Well Carey, since you are going on the Victory in October. This must mean you are sailing from nyc to Canada. Well let me just say that as soon as you get to your cabin that bed is going to look VERY tempting. NYC Port sucks. Its old run down and crowded. So ya Carnival and Norwegian and the City have agreed to fix it but unitl then it stills sucks. The lines are long and people start getting grumpy since it takes so much patience to get onboard plus since you are sailng on Saturday the Zenith will be there to so more people will be there. So it wont be strange if you fall into a deep sleep. I sailed twice from nyc on the The Carnival Legend and NCL. The last one was on The Legend in September and they dont give announcement but before the drill they say " As soon has you here the ships horn please head down to you lifeboat station" Then when they say the drill has been a sucess they say " when you hear the ship horn you may return to you cabins". They blow it like 7 times and right away the ship starts moving so the horns should wake you up if you do miss the drill and fall asleep. Last time as soon as I walked in to the cabin and looked through the balcony window I noticed we were moving. So dont worry because you have a very loud alarm clock to wake you up cause I know what you mean and you dont what to miss the sail away party from NYC, The Capital Of the World! HAPPY SAILING
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Passenger

When I went on the Sensation , we missed the sail away because we thought we would have time to go back to the room and return our lifejackets.....wrong.
The ship left the dock while we were in our room on the main deck...inside cabin.
So we missed the whole darn thing......by the time we got back up on deck, we were
already cruising down through Tampa Bay. We were so excited to be on the ship and on a cruise .....we didn't care.
I am on Carnival Triumph in August 2004 .....can't wait.....we have a balcony this time.
So I will NOT miss it. ( I hope to be on the Lido deck during sail away though....something about the music and those darn drinks with the umbrellas. )
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to nurd13

Cruise ships are very smooth, and they don't make an announcement when they set sail, so you'd better be paying attention if you arent on deck. If you have an oceanview room or balcony, it's easier than an interior room. After returning your life jackets to your room after the drill, I suggest making your way to the upper decks because the best viewing locations get crowded fast.

Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/02
Carnival Spirit Alaska 7/03
Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/03
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 12/04
Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera 8/05

Caribbean Travel Tips
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Embarkation

JT - we're also on the Triumph in August. When are you going?
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Embarkation

Not that it matters for the Victory, but on the Paradise I was napping and woken up by the Cruise Director's announcement, in cabin, that the lifeboat drill would begin in 10 minutes. So there was no sleeping through it, in that case :o) We did start sailing away whiel the drill was going on, but the sail away took long enough (the ship had to turn around) that we had time to drop our jackets off in the cabin and still make it back up for waving to people on other ships, etc. So there is waving, at least in MIami.

Paradise (May 7, 2004) Eastern Carribean
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Embarkation

Thanks everyone - I will just have to be on my toes (and apparently try not to lost my patience at the Terminal in NYC.)
Since the terminal is so crowded, I assume it would be better to get there early before there are major lines. We depart at 4:00, but heard you can board as early as noon sometimes. So we were planning on getting their around 11:00am. Do you think the lines will be bad already or might we miss out on some of the circus they call embarkation?