Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:34 AM
anita kennedy

Default safety in cozumel

I have two friends, ladies (ages 50ish - 60 ish) going on the Holiday in July. One is a devote Catholic, has never missed Mass and is insistant on goinig to Mass that day in Cozumel. They have found 3 churchs with Masses. Is this safe for them to go on their own to church? I am pretty sure the Mass will be in Spanish however, it also used to be in Latin and that didn't matter. I am concerned if I need to tell them to be safe or not on this subject. What's the opinion of everybody?
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: safety in cozumel

Cozumel is a perfectly safe island. Was there in April from the Holiday, and again in May. Of course, they should always be aware of their surroundings, but it is a very safe island. I am in my mid 40's and would have no problem going into town with another female, just the 2 of us. Good luck to them and hope they have a great cruise!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:12 PM
First Mate

HI ANITA,
IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO TRAVEL WITH ANOTHER PERSON
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Whiteknight

Cozumel is probably safer than most American cities and all large American cities. It's an island off the Mexican mainland with it's own large police force and Mexican Navy contingent. I spent a week wandering around the island and never witnessed any problems. The people are very religious and I found myself invited into many of their homes. It will be a rewarding experience.
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: safety in cozumel

thanks for the answers. I won't worry them and tell them to go forth with my blessing.
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
jamiegunter

They may have mass on the ship, we just got back from Celebrity and they had
mass every day. They had a catholic priest or deacon doing mass every day
So Carnival may have this also. Cozumel is a nice island, it would be a nice
thing for them to be able to see a church there.
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
DavidW

I've been to Cozumel 4 times. I've never had a problem there going anywhere. I have been pretty much all over the island.
I agree with WhiteKnight ! I feel safer in Cozumel than I do here in Jackson,Mississippi , my home town !

Happy Cruising;
David

Old June 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

David, we are from AR and are sailing out of NO. On the way down we are going to overnight in Jackson. Any suggestions on a nice, not to expensive hotel in your home town?
Thanks, Kate

Old June 1st, 2004, 10:21 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: safety in cozumel

thanks for the good things everybody has said. I will pass it along.
Also David, I love Jackson, we were there a lot durnig my nephew's years at Millsaps. We love the Magnolia Cafe..and that come back dressing. Such a cute place.
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Default cozumel excursions?

David,
We are going to Cozumel for the first time this July with 2 families and wondering what to do? Any suggestions on the best snorkeling, stingray experiences, catamaran trips, etc. Or anything else... (we really like water activities).
Also... I've been told the cruise line excursions are twice as expensive as what you can get on your own.... any suggs here?

thanks,
Marty
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:43 AM
DavidW

Kate,
Stay in the north part of Jackson. County line road exit area. There are a few motels there.Also, some good eating places to choose from too. There are alot of hotels downtown, but I wouldn't stay there. There are good places in Flowood and Pearl too.
Hope this helps you. Feel free to e-mail me or post, and I'll try to help you.

Happy Cruising;
David
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
DavidW

Default Re: cozumel excursions?

Hey Marty,
There is alot to do in Cozumel. Thats one place I could go and spend a week right there on that Island. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are my favorites.
Yes, they have all-of-the-above that you meantion.The Sting Ray tour is an expierance for sure. city of hell tour, the dolphin encounter is wonderful, Fat Tuesday's,snorkeling and diving excursions, there's just so many to choose from.
Ok, booking your own excursions can be cheaper. but, if something happens, and the tour your own don't get back to the ship on time, you could be left behind. And that would be bad, seeing 2000 of your ship mates waving bye to you.. And that has happened before, I assure you..
Booking through Carnival on the ship, has 3 advantages. (1)Its safer. (2), if the tour bus breaks down, the ship will wait on you, if they need to.(3)Carnival will give you alist of all excursions for that particular port, and each port. You can also get a little preview on your TV in your room on the ship's channel.Your CD will have shore excursion meetings also before each port . Time and place will be listed in your Carnival Capers .
Your going to have a great cruise.

Happy Cruising;
david
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Admiral

You might encourage her to buy a Spanish/English missal. There should be at least one available at a church goods store near her.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!