CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Door decorating (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/197620-door-decorating.html)

shellyld6 June 4th, 2004 05:07 PM

Door decorating

who has done this?? Why?? And what did you decorate it??Just curious on some fun different things to do.....

Georgie June 4th, 2004 06:14 PM

Re: Door decorating

I was once on a cruise during Halloween and we decorated the door for halloween and had treats for the kids who came from cabin to cabin on Halloween night.

On a Christmas cruise we decorated the door like a Christmas package complete with bow.

jennifervail June 4th, 2004 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Door decorating

shellyld6 -

To answer the "why", it helps you figure out which cabin door is yours! :o) They all look the same, in very long halls of same colored doors.

Happy sailing,

Jennifer

Georgie June 4th, 2004 08:22 PM

I never thought of it as that! I just did it for the festivity!

Ron June 4th, 2004 10:38 PM

Now please don't anyone misunderstand ----but---- decorating a cabin door to know which one is yours out of a long row that all looks alike ?? How about reading the cabin numbers--that's why hotel rooms, ships cabins,etc. all have numbers on them.
There--- just had to say that.

Brenda in Canada June 5th, 2004 12:53 AM

I think that would be very festive!!! The cute decorations for the appropriate holiday when you are on the cruise!! Or even a funny comic/joke on the door would "say a lot" about who is in that room! Unfortunately I will not be cruising around a major holiday, or I would participate also!!

Irish Girl June 5th, 2004 09:15 AM

We decorate our doors because we have a CONTEST!!!! Yes, our cruise groups always have a door decorating contest, prizes are given out at the end of the cruise party. Our next one is on the Conquest 10/31/04 and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.

cruisingrandma June 5th, 2004 09:30 AM

I have never decorated our door as yet. But our last cruise there were many doors decorated. They are so very cute too. We are definately decorating our doors next cruise. Really they do make it easier to know which door is yours. of course we can read the numbers on the sides but the decorated door stands out and never have to wonder if you are at the right place. Some people had pics of a cruise they were on. Some had a dogs picture and ribbons and bows. Really cute art work... Happy cruising to all.......

lauriloo June 5th, 2004 11:27 AM

I decorated mine with cobwebs and spiders for Halloween. This next cruise will have my birthday sign on it. Be prepared for people (kids?) messing with it during the trip. You may have to do some repair work along the way if you do anything elaborate (and therefore tempting.) I so agree it's nice to just see my door and know I'm not accidentally trying to get into someone's room late at night.

Ron: Don't be that guy who just has to interrupt conversations with smart-a$$ comments. It's not very nice and won't make you many friends. Join in the fun, don't try to ruin it.

Post Edited (06-05-04 12:11)

Dorothy June 5th, 2004 12:33 PM

Ron, you've obviously never had a little too much to drink and stambled back to your cabin in the wee hours.....

We didn't decorate last time, but I'm thinking about it for our Sept. cruise since it's a 7 nighter.

dorothy

shellyld6 June 5th, 2004 04:20 PM

Does any one have any cute ideas for decorating itll be in jan...................ty

playjar June 7th, 2004 09:35 AM

i also would like some ideas for 5 rooms to decorate. we leave this saturday!!!
thank you

Chrissy June 7th, 2004 11:19 AM

I'm with Ron, the cabin numbers work just fine in finding my cabin. And yes, I am that WOMAN who has to interrupt. How narrowminded to assume that "Ron" is a male.

shellyld6 June 7th, 2004 12:32 PM

Oh come on now I posted this for some great ROOM DECORATING ideas not BICKERING.............Find another post to rant on ....If you use the room numbers great for you but id like a little extra advice on door decorating, Didnt say you had to decorate your doors now did I..But thanks for letting us all know that you know how to count and can use your numbers ...Have a great cruise w or wo door decorations...........And thank you all who posted great ideas about the decorations.......

brand new girl June 7th, 2004 01:40 PM

this is a good idea i wanna decorate my door! maybe i could bring like a dry-erase board and have a marker out there and hang it on the door so people could leave me random messages =P like the cool college crew

http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=18&hour=16:00
carnival legend :: 7/18
http://www.loudside.com/graphics/bands/brandnew.jpg

Irish Girl June 7th, 2004 02:03 PM

One time I covered my door with yellow paper, put a 6' palm tree on it, drew birds in the sky and put a plastic pink flamingo standing under the tree. I won first place. One of our group bought those fake bullet holes and put them on his door. Some put post cards from their home town on, others put pictures of Phil the Flamingo driving in a convertible, mowing the lawn, relaxing with a drink, etc. Sometimes it's pictures of Darrell the Dolphin doing things around the house. Some have put dry erase boards on, you can think of something, it'll be fun!!

shellyld6 June 7th, 2004 06:27 PM

I (or should I say my sister) also had an idea about maybe putting up some marterial and letting evryone sign it and draw pics..i thought that was a good idea.i know id have to be open mined to some of the things that might be written but would be a fun idea

cruznRN June 7th, 2004 11:01 PM

We used a Sponge Bob theme for our door. It came in very handy for finding the room late at night after some adult beverages! I am very good at remembering numbers, but on vacation I don't wanna!! Our friends were decorated as "Mardi Gras" and "Moons and Stars" so we could find each ather withour remembering all those numbers.

Lesley\

Deni June 8th, 2004 08:34 AM

Shelly, One of my jobs at work it to update the bulletin boards. I find if you shop at Holcombe’s or any store in your area that sells supplies to teachers you can find some cute stuff. Try snowflakes and snowmen in January. Then you can dress them up for the sunny weather!

Have Fun!!

D~

stacy143 June 8th, 2004 09:21 AM

Are the doors metal or wood? I was thinking of using magnets.

cathy June 8th, 2004 09:24 AM

We have done door decorating just for the fun of doing it. We have done everything from making full door covers with different scenes. We have put our faces into ships and made ourselves look like we were being buried in the sand with just our heads sticking out. LOL

An easy idea is to just buy the stickees, I got mine at Staples, and put them on the door. I got all fish and arranged them nicely. People would go by the room and re-arrange them into other positions. One night, a friend moved them next store to their door.....I came back late that night and seeing them, just tried getting into that cabin!!! Could not understand why my key would not work........while everyone else was inside laughing. It was pretty funny......hehehe

Sea ya,

Cat

fun4me June 8th, 2004 11:29 AM

Sounds like fun. We will be sailing the week before July 4th. We actually dock on the 4th. Any good thoughts about patriotic decor?

shellyld6 June 8th, 2004 02:20 PM

Call me what you wish Chrissy..............Idiot or not I can careless about what you have to say ....I can tell you are probably one of the 10 % that doesnt have a good time no matter where you are so enjoy ...........If it makes ya feel better to call people names by all means sock it to me get some of your anger and agression out I can take it ........With that said .....................

Deni that is a great idea about the snowmen .............and Cathy oh my gosh what a wonderful idea about your own pics n the sand how cute would that be....Thank you for all the great ideas...
Shelly

brand new girl June 8th, 2004 03:25 PM

c'mon now u are all adults, and this is no example to set for a 16 year old girl such as myself.

i thought of something sad about my door decorating though - my cabin is like alllllll the way at the end of the hallway, so no one would really even pass it and get to see it, so maybe its not worth it after all =/

carnival legend :: 7/18
http://www.loudside.com/graphics/bands/brandnew.jpg

Baystate June 8th, 2004 06:32 PM

We didn't decorate our door last Halloween, but some others did, and they were pretty good. My kids especially liked the one where the wicked witch of the east legs were under the door. Lots of people took pictures of themselves next to it. Have fun!!

cruisebaby1 June 10th, 2004 05:05 PM

Re: Re: Door decorating

I never thought to decorate the door, its a great idea. I kept turning the #'s around for the first few days felt a little foolish, must have been a "moment" senior or otherwise, didnt want to blame it all on the pina coladas. Have a great time in January.

shellyld6 June 10th, 2004 07:17 PM

thank you cruise baby I sure will

pebbs June 11th, 2004 09:50 AM

Chrissy, did you have a bad door decorating experience once in your life?

One time I saw, on a dry erase board on a cabin door: "if you see my wife in the bar, would you send her back to the cabin?" Very funny

shellyld6 June 11th, 2004 11:10 AM

THANKS PeBB That is very cute!! Im thinkning Ill probly do somthing funky like that where passers by can also jot somthing down!!!

Ty June 11th, 2004 03:53 PM

PEBBS,
That is a great idea.

Shelly,
I think the idea of decorating your door is very creative. It shows you have a fun spirit and love making people around you happy as well.

On another note, I think Chrissy doesn't have as much of an open mind as the rest of us. Just because you have no life and don't believe in having fun....doesn't mean you have to ruin it for others.

Ty