CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   lets try this again--a thank you gift for cabin steward (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/197656-lets-try-again-thank-you-gift-cabin-steward.html)

dusty June 6th, 2004 11:55 AM

lets try this again--a thank you gift for cabin steward

my last cruise the cabin steward worked so hard and did such a wonderful job keeping the cabin clean and leaving me new ice and things when i didnt even ask for them. i want to do something special for them the next cruise. these people work so many hours and get paid so little. they are there to please and pamper us and i think they deserve something special.

i know everyone says they appriciate cash the most but what could i give them along with a little extra money. it has too be something unisex since you dont know if you will have a male or female steward. and what about their helper. sometimes i think they get forgotten by accident.

what about a phone card with $20 bill with it? some have stated they really like both.

what special thing have you left them??

WhansaMi June 6th, 2004 01:35 PM

Re: lets try this again--a thank you gift for cabin steward

I'm not a cabin steward, but I'm in another profession that gets "appreciation gifts" from people -- I'm a teacher.

First of all, I'd like to say that I actually prefer NOT to get Christmas gifts, end-of-year gifts, Teacher Appreciation Day gifts from students. It always makes me uncomfortable, since there are inevitably some students whose parents don't follow these traditions and I feel badly for those kids if I *do* make a big deal out of the gifts, and I feel badly for the kids who bought them if I *don't* make a big deal of it. So, my preferred gift is a letter thanking me for whatever it is I have done for their child that year (assuming they believe it!). It was particularly nice the year that all the parents got together, wrote a glowing letter, and sent it to my superintendent, asking it be put in my permanent file. :-)

That said, however, I do have some preferences about gifts, if I must recieve them. The sad fact is that I have enough knicknacks and Christmas ornaments to decorate five houses. A very, very small percentage of the housewares I've been given fit in with my decor. I'm not a "novelty" kind of person, so those aprons, vests and earrings with little books and pencils hanging on them are in a box in my closet -- I feel badly about giving them away, but I can't see myself wearing them.

I guess what I am saying is, "personal" gifts usually don't work well in a professional environment. While my students' parents know me as a teacher, they don't really know my personal likes and dislikes as well as they think they do. I've generally found that the gifts that I have been able to *use* the most have been pretty generic -- a girt certificate to the local mall, bookstore gift certificates, etc. I know the parents often feel they are "copping out" by not making it more personal, but in fact, it is a better match for me.

Because of this, I'd say that cash is the best form of appreciation for a cabin steward. You don't know how much opportunity he has for shopping on land, you don't know if he has anyone to call on the mainland. Of course, if you've struck up a conversation with him and know, without a doubt, that he ADORES the Red Sox, a cap might be nice, but I doubt you'd have one in your luggage! ;-)

I know that feels less "personal", but I would be willing to bet it would be more appreciated.

Sheila

dusty June 6th, 2004 01:45 PM

Re: Re: lets try this again--a thank you gift for cabin stew

thank you sheila for your honest reply

know how to show your appriciation can be hard when you are trying to tacktful and give something the other person will appriciate. and i did know i did not want to give a knicknack or something that they would not have room for in their small cabin. i will stick to a card and a little extra in it unless someone else has a really good idea.

and have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip to alaska.

Valentina1209 June 6th, 2004 01:59 PM

Sheila, I am also a teacher, and I agree with everything you posted. I wanted to add that for a teacher's gift, besides the personal letter (my favorite to receive) or a gift card, two other gifts that I like receiving are bath and body works products and plants/flowers.

I bought a 12-pack of 120 minute phone cards from Costco for $49, which can be used to call almost every country from the USA and from some places abroad. I plan to distribute one or two in addition to the my tip to the cabin steward, waiter, etc. I know cash is the preferable gift, but they will be receiving a generous tip from me too...I simply want to tack on something small that's thoughtful and personal.

There has been much controversy and many debates on this board about giving out phone cards to the crew. Here's the way I see it: The crew always calls their home country from the various ports, and while these particular phone cards might not be usable at every port, if at least one port is in the USA, it will be a useful and practical gift.

ocnlvr June 6th, 2004 02:07 PM

One thing you can do is fill out the comment card at the end of your cruise, as this is one of the things used to base their raises on. Plus on our cruise we filled it out,placed it in the drop off box and on the last day of the cruise our card was picked out of the box and we won $100.

SusanE. June 6th, 2004 02:09 PM

Hey ladies,

Amen to the teacher gifts! I have a stockpile of what I call "apple crap", and I'd be happy if I never received any more EVER. Let's add this to the list of appreciated items: gift certificates to spas! Those are always a hit.

I think the phone cards are a nice touch. What about gift certificates for online merchants, like Amazon?

dusty June 6th, 2004 02:29 PM

we are getting some good ideas here. lets keep it going.

how about seeing who your cabin steward is and when you get to port buy them something nice like a tshirt or something like that. if you have a lady cabin steward then you could pick up some nice soaps and lotions. for the guys i could pick up a hat or something else of use. i just might have come up with an idea that will work.

Post Edited (06-06-04 14:33)

shellyld6 June 6th, 2004 08:34 PM

Well if you plan on doing the extra cash thingy why not be creative about it !!Like look online find some unique ways to fold money and leave a five dollar bill folded like an animal or my mom gave me a one dollar bill folded into a ring and it had a dime in it n she said heres you dimen ring.... If you did that nightly before turn down time it would be an extra $35.00 or split it up ...............Just a cute thought !!!! I think I might do it on my cruise in Jan.............Good luck if I can think of more I let ya know

dusty June 6th, 2004 08:36 PM

shelly

what a neat and inventive idea. and the dimen ring is so cute. i will keep your idea in mind. thanks

Wannago30 June 6th, 2004 09:24 PM

I leave extra cash as a tip, but as far as something extra I make up a little bag with batteries, gum, hard candy and other assorted useful things.

Paul B June 6th, 2004 09:31 PM

A thank you card and money, money money!!!!

carol June 7th, 2004 06:29 AM

The correct term is "Cabin Attendant." They are not steward's. Also there are no bus boys on the ship, as there title is now "assistant waiter."

Thanks,
Carol

Dorothy June 7th, 2004 12:38 PM

Money solves the problem that you don't *really* know your steward. What if your steward is allergic to the lovely soap and lotion? Phone card? What if they don't have a family to call with the phone card? Cash is perfect for everyone.....

How about a nice thank you note describing specfically what you enjoyed about their service with cash?

dorothy

Valentina1209 June 7th, 2004 02:08 PM

I haven't met a crew member who didn't have family back in thier home country, whom they called at least once a week.

Kenster June 7th, 2004 03:17 PM

I know we're getting off topic with "Teacher Gifts" but my wife and I are both teachers. I teach High school the rare gift I get usually involves home made cookies from female students. God Bless 'em!! The bride teaches second grade though, and has for 18 years. Like someone else said, there are only so many wooden apples inscribed with #1 Teacher you can use. She often will get gifts that are rather expensive but just don't fit the style of our home. All these things go into a box and we take them to our church's silent Auction/ Shrimp Boil every summer. Occasionally, the room mom will get with other parents and they all chip in to buy a rather large gift card and a fancy local restaurant. She usually shares this with her favorite husband of thirty years (last week.!)
I actually had a letter published in "Hints From Heloise" column last fall suggesting the gift cards for teachers instead of the knick-knack gifts.
The point is, to give the cabin stewards something useful and not something they will have to pack away or store in their tiny cabins.

SharB June 7th, 2004 04:18 PM

Another possibility would be small collector's pins. We found a very nice Alaskan angel one for our attendant that she could wear on her uniform. It was especially nice, since that cruise ship was leaving the Alaskan route "permanently". This lady also made out well in the tip department.

Jim Bragg June 7th, 2004 05:23 PM

I can tell you what every single steward I have ever talked with and asked this question has replied...MONEY! That's it folks. If you want to give them something they want and can use then it is simply money, period.
Jim

Lisa June 7th, 2004 06:39 PM

In addition to extra money, how about a letter to the cruise line praising their employee and telling them what a good job they did? That would go in their file and will work towards them getting raises and promotions! That would mean more to them than any little knick knack or phone card.