Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:36 AM
fun4me

Default art auctions?????

Tell me about the art auctions on board. Is there stuff you would buy only on the ship. Is the art good quality? Give me an idea about what these pieces go for. I am not an art collector so I don't know if I would be missing something great if I did not go. Yes, my house has pictures on the walls but my taste is really in my mouth when it comes to "fine" art. Thanks
19 Days!!!!!!! Elation!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: art auctions?????

I didn't go to the auction but I knew a guy who went to buy framed animation cells. So it's not necessarily classical paintings only. He thought the prices were good...I wouldn't have a clue.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM
DavidN

I assume that Carnival uses Park West Gallery, as does RCCL. We have bought a number of pieces of art work during our three cruises. We have been pleased with waht we have bought. I just recently, for insurance purposes, did some research on a couple of Peter Max pieces. I was very pleased with the value of our art compaired to what we paid. We even framed a piece from another artist that we won as a door prize which now hangs over our fire place.

Most importantly, buy items that you will enjoy.
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: art auctions?????

I originally was very suspicious about the art auctions, but after attending a couple of times, I decided to buy. Still I just KNEW I had been ripped off! =) So when we took the piece to be framed, I asked the framers (who are very experienced with fine art), "what's the real deal with cruise art auctions?!" They explained that because Park West is so huge, you really can get good deals at the auctions. They reassured me that the seriolithograph I purchased was a good deal, was in great shape, and was indeed the real thing. On my next cruise I purchased two other pieces, and look forward to buying again in October. It's a good way to start a collection of fine art at reasonable prices.

Enjoy!

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:03 PM
jamiegunter

Hi we have bought from the auctions on last three cruises. It is Park West, they are located in Michigan. They have good prices, compared to a gallery price. You will find artist from Thomas Kinkade, Peter Max, Gary Benfield, and many more. You should go to a local art gallery if you have one so you can see what you like and the price. All the art comes unframed, with the exception of Collectors Portfolio pieces. It all comes with certificate of authenticitys, and you can purchase appraisals. Its fun to go to them, you learn alot about the artists. They usually give out free champayne on some days, and you get free lithograph for staying the whole auction. We always spend to much money at the auctions, we try to stay away Prices start from $50 and go up to Thousands. Thomas Kinkades usually go for about $170 to $280. No one usally will bid against anyone, as you go and tag what you want to go up for auction. Go and have fun
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM
dcsevn

We really enjoyed the art auctions. Didn't buy anything -- art research wasn't one of my pre-cruise preparations -- but did win two lithographs as door prizes. Of the items I remember being sold, the prices they sold for were comparable to some prices I've seen on some websites. Whether buying or not, I'd certainly go again - champagne, door prizes, the excitement of the bidding, actually looking at a Dali or Picasso, and the knowledge imparted by the auctioneers make for a very good time.

Doug
Celebration, 5/8/04